Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What's your worst Homeschooling mistake??

Posted by on Mar. 23, 2012 at 9:32 PM
  • 16 Replies

we want to learn from ours and everyone elses mistakes! whats yours?

by on Mar. 23, 2012 at 9:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 23, 2012 at 9:49 PM
2 moms liked this

I made the mistake in thinking that I could use the same teaching method for each of my kids. Boy oh boy! Was I ever wrong. 

JenTurn
by on Mar. 24, 2012 at 6:49 AM

Trying to do too much, and switching gears in the middle of the year. There are so many great curriculums out there, and I don't want to miss a moment of quality time with my kids.

Moma3boyz
by on Mar. 24, 2012 at 8:48 AM
2 moms liked this
When I started I didn't know any other homeschoolers or groups like this to ask questions...so I pulled them out of school one day and we started "school at home" the next. All of us were miserable. Happy to say now we have found our groove and having fun.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 24, 2012 at 10:10 AM

I've pushed too hard with my son when I've needed to step back. 8(

carolkey74
by on Mar. 24, 2012 at 11:12 AM
Me too!

Quoting kirbymom:

I made the mistake in thinking that I could use the same teaching method for each of my kids. Boy oh boy! Was I ever wrong. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 24, 2012 at 12:30 PM
3 moms liked this

I think they are all pretty bad! but the one I would change if I could go back & start over is I would have never put my son in the PS to begin with!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 24, 2012 at 1:10 PM

When did you first start to realize that you were doing this?

When I noticed, I was already teaching my 5th child. She learned so differently and she is the one who showed me how I didn't do a great job with my second child.  He hasn't liked reading and we've been struggling for years to get him to even care but now that I have learned to switch modes, He is now realizing that reading isn't so bad. Yay!  :)

Quoting carolkey74:

Me too!

Quoting kirbymom:

carolkey74
by on Mar. 24, 2012 at 1:38 PM
1 mom liked this
My daughter is left brained, just like me. My son is right brained, just like my hubby. This is our third year (dd is 13 and in 10th, ds is 11 and in 6th), and I knew from the start that I wasn't getting through to him the way I wanted. I read the book, Right-Brained Children in a Left Brained World, and the light bulb came on! It's a great resource book!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Mar. 24, 2012 at 2:05 PM
1 mom liked this
Expecting them to just read n figure it out. I wasn't very hands on at first.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lucsch
by on Mar. 25, 2012 at 10:05 AM
2 moms liked this

Giving up with my older children. I homeschooled them one year, after years of being in private school. I did not give them enough time to adjust. I also did "school at home" following aBeka's TMs to the letter (as much as I could), textbooks, workbooks, tests, quizzes, grades. I spent so much time doing school that I did not have much time to be with them.

This go around with my youngest is going much better! We are nearing our 5th year using methods so different  from before! I've used Sonlight and HOD for our core curriculum. We do not test or quiz or keep grades. We read to each other. She does a workbook for math, Greek, and handwriting. Other than that we use living books.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)