Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Preschool at home schedule advice

Posted by on Mar. 24, 2012 at 11:24 PM
  • 7 Replies

I would love a little advice. I have two young boys (2 & 3) who I want to homeschool through preschool. Everything I look up on the subject says play is the best form of school at their ages. I would normally agree with this since that is what I did with there older brother but the younger two are different. They love structure. They "play" school with their brother and they love it. He tells them it is time for math class or reading and they follow right along. When their brother wants to move on to another game they get mad. This leads me to my question: Should I schedule an hour or two each day? Would that be to much at their age? My three year old has some problems with transition from one thing to another and I thought having a bit more structure might help that problem.

Thanks for any advice.

by on Mar. 24, 2012 at 11:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
duttonwood
by on Mar. 24, 2012 at 11:44 PM

I think that structure at an early age is the best way to teach.  Scheduling, timing and raising hands and having the same rules that they will face in Elementary school will only help them when they go.

I have found that kids learn from other kids better than they learn from adults. So if the older 2 siblings don't mind try getting them to "play" school with them  when they can but ask them to reinforce what you are teaching them.

I do this with my 2,4 and 5 year olds. (Their older siblings feel smarter, the kids spend time together and I can go do something else.)  Hope this helps!!!! Good luck

wright1212
by on Mar. 24, 2012 at 11:49 PM

The best thing you can do is look up 'preschool' schedules. Look up what a childcare program like maybe head start does it. State prek are required to have specific learning materials and strongly encourage all children to play with it all. So they dont do sit down desk work, but instead do math, reading, writing, problem solving, science ect all through very particular forms of play. I really like my states standards for prek, which include detailed examples. Go to http://www.tv.gov/ and search TNELDS. Then just scroll through each topic in pdf format until it says the age of your 'student' at the top. So it will say something like 'recognizing letters represent words' and the example will be reading signs posted in the room and recognizing titles of familiar books. For math they play with shape patterns and 1 to 1 correspondce using a variety of materials, while playing with blocks they understand physical properties and how various shapes work.

Then your job is to take all that 'play' turn it into a weekly schedule. Mon 9-12 is block, math, art, Tues 9-12 art, writing, pretend play. OR something of that nature. Thematic units can be fun at that age just by turning a topic they are into by adding like materials to all of those areas they play in. So dinosaurs can be math play, reading, art, science ect! Hope this makes since and helps.

5BMom
by on Mar. 25, 2012 at 12:08 AM
Seasons of Joy and Little Acorn Learning offer great, low cost seasonal guides that are Waldorf Inspired. They are great for establishing rythym and having fun. Arts and crafts, poems, and other stuff is thrown in. We are using Seasons of Joy and love it!!!! I add in gentle work (eclectic) on the three Rs and it works for us.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
j9latulippe
by on Mar. 25, 2012 at 12:38 AM
1 mom liked this

I have a preschool at home.  I do about 1-2 hrs almost everyday of structured play and school time.  First we do about 30-45 mins of lesson time where I teach something to them by reading a book, doing an activity, or playing a game.  For example I will teach them about the letter U and how it makes the "uh" sound.  I will show them the letter first and talk about words that sound like "uh".  Next I will read a book that has a lot of "uh" words.  The kids really like I spy books because they can find things that sound like the letters we are learning about and they can also find the letter in the sentences. Then, we might try to draw the letter or decorate a print out of the letter, finally we might play a game that incorporates the letter.  Sometimes I do all three and other times I just do one.  I also do individual time.  I set up stations which are basically different spots in my house with different toys or books that the children need to play with for a certain amount of time.  Then I take one of the children to work one-on-one with.  After I take about 15-20 min with them,  I rotate the children to different stations and work with another child.  I will do this until I have worked with all the children.  They really love the one-on-one time because that is when they earn rewards.  Sometimes it is a small treat, other times it is stickers, and they also get popsicle sticks that go towards earning a small prize.  Stations really help them learn to focus.  One-on-one time is where they learn the most because I can personalize that time to each child.  Some need more work on recognizing numbers others need help with letters.  It also allows me to work on writing with them.  They learned to write their name very fast.

oredeb
by on Mar. 26, 2012 at 11:34 AM

i'd say go for it, see how they do! if its not working, play!!!hahaha

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 26, 2012 at 5:17 PM

This.....

Quoting j9latulippe:

I have a preschool at home.  I do about 1-2 hrs almost everyday of structured play and school time.  First we do about 30-45 mins of lesson time where I teach something to them by reading a book, doing an activity, or playing a game.  For example I will teach them about the letter U and how it makes the "uh" sound.  I will show them the letter first and talk about words that sound like "uh".  Next I will read a book that has a lot of "uh" words.  The kids really like I spy books because they can find things that sound like the letters we are learning about and they can also find the letter in the sentences. Then, we might try to draw the letter or decorate a print out of the letter, finally we might play a game that incorporates the letter.  Sometimes I do all three and other times I just do one.  I also do individual time.  I set up stations which are basically different spots in my house with different toys or books that the children need to play with for a certain amount of time.  Then I take one of the children to work one-on-one with.  After I take about 15-20 min with them,  I rotate the children to different stations and work with another child.  I will do this until I have worked with all the children.  They really love the one-on-one time because that is when they earn rewards.  Sometimes it is a small treat, other times it is stickers, and they also get popsicle sticks that go towards earning a small prize.  Stations really help them learn to focus.  One-on-one time is where they learn the most because I can personalize that time to each child.  Some need more work on recognizing numbers others need help with letters.  It also allows me to work on writing with them.  They learned to write their name very fast.

I have 7 kids and I would say this closest to what I have done and am doing now. If your children like the structure then you should try doing that with them and see how they respond. If they respond positively then you have tyour answer. if they don't try scaling back some of the structure and and see how they respond. I am sure that by doing this, you will find something that will work for everyone.  

PandoraRobin
by on Mar. 28, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Thank you all for your answers and encouragement. We are starting slowly by adding extra reading time and some math activies. They are also learning body parts so I'm adding senses to that. Their brother wants to teach them Candy Land and Chutes and Ladders so we might try that next week. Also they love flashcards so I think we'll be doing more of those. That again everyone.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)