Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I give up

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2012 at 6:59 PM
  • 19 Replies
I thought SO was coming towards letting me homeschool but tonight he just said that they HAVE to go to school. No real reason. I have given logical arguments, I've told him how much it means to me, I've told hom the things we'll have to deal with by putting them in school but he's being an idiot. My last resort is making him totally responsible for all of it from registering to paperwork to the first day. That will most likely force his hand but it almost seems underhanded. Biggest issue is that they're sponges and way ahead in a lot of things but behind in some of the schools "musts" so they're going to suffer because of me. And I have a choice between a good but way overcrowded school and a bad one (bif school, colored drugs tied to the inside of the playground fence bad) but its barely even a choice because of the structuring. We basically get the bad school. End of story. I could seriously cry right now
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 26, 2012 at 6:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Mar. 26, 2012 at 7:31 PM
Wow. No way would I give up momma. You still have time, and it's not only his decision. They are your children too, and obviously he isn't thinking about what is best. I'm thinking he has a hangup about something, you just need to find out what it is.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rowansmum
by on Mar. 26, 2012 at 7:38 PM
We've talked it over literally a dozen times and addressed his concerns. He's a sheep is basically what it comes down to and he does not want to challenge the norms :( it will likely come to our relationship or homeschooling as stupid as it sounds. Course if I choose the relationship I may end up bitter. I'm going to try giving him 100% responsibility for the school stuff and hope it doesn't bite me in the behind

Quoting Boobah:

Wow. No way would I give up momma. You still have time, and it's not only his decision. They are your children too, and obviously he isn't thinking about what is best. I'm thinking he has a hangup about something, you just need to find out what it is.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 26, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Has he been talking to people about this? I have learned with my hubby if he starts to question the homeschooling it is because someone at work said something negative about homeschooling & he got to thinking & doubting.

mynameismuerte
by on Mar. 26, 2012 at 7:46 PM
1 mom liked this
Do you live in a state with testing or evaluations? Even if you don't you could find someone to do one. I would tell him that I was going to keep them home for K and based on the evaluation at the end of the year make a decision. I mean, it's kinda hard to mess up K ya know? Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rowansmum
by on Mar. 26, 2012 at 8:18 PM
Not likely, he's always been like this. I forced my hand about vaccinations, having my babies at home and my younger son being intact because of it. I just made it his responsibility and he gave in.

Quoting usmom3:

Has he been talking to people about this? I have learned with my hubby if he starts to question the homeschooling it is because someone at work said something negative about homeschooling & he got to thinking & doubting.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rowansmum
by on Mar. 26, 2012 at 8:23 PM
We live in Ontario Canada so maybe but I don't know. I will look into it

Quoting mynameismuerte:

Do you live in a state with testing or evaluations? Even if you don't you could find someone to do one. I would tell him that I was going to keep them home for K and based on the evaluation at the end of the year make a decision. I mean, it's kinda hard to mess up K ya know? Good luck.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Saraho5
by on Mar. 26, 2012 at 8:51 PM
1 mom liked this
Hugs. There's still time. Although my DH is on board with HS'ing, I still like to remind him that Tim Tebow was homeschooled. (he's a big name in pro football right now).

Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wright1212
by on Mar. 27, 2012 at 8:57 AM
1 mom liked this

My DD went to K, but we had hard time deciding that. She is home now. BUT one thing I did to help my DH see the light was this. We made an agreement that I could homeschool during the summer and if he could see her progress, that I could manage 3 kids and the house and keep enough records to show learning he would be on board. I also decided at that time to video our lessons. (that was mostly because its hard to find videos of someone homeschooling). I also had to find several social outlets for her. We now have dance, scouts, church, sports (changes with season) and a big COOP. I also have been adding playdates to our routine.

You make it seem like he is avoiding the conversation. Tell him in a week or so you want to just sit and discuss, like a business meeting. Challenge him and you to create list of BOTH pros and cons of BOTH options. This will force him to see those bad things about public school and he also had to find some good things for homeschooling (honestly you being happy should have nothing to do with pros).

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 27, 2012 at 9:57 AM

I'm sorry. I'm not sure what I would do if my husband and I disagreed on something so major.

rowansmum
by on Mar. 27, 2012 at 10:10 AM
The thing is he KNOWS school is awful. He agreed with me about it!!! But he STILL insists that they have to go through it and we'll educate them after school and on weekends. And by WE he means ME. He wants to make the decisions but for me to deal with the results.

Quoting wright1212:

My DD went to K, but we had hard time deciding that. She is home now. BUT one thing I did to help my DH see the light was this. We made an agreement that I could homeschool during the summer and if he could see her progress, that I could manage 3 kids and the house and keep enough records to show learning he would be on board. I also decided at that time to video our lessons. (that was mostly because its hard to find videos of someone homeschooling). I also had to find several social outlets for her. We now have dance, scouts, church, sports (changes with season) and a big COOP. I also have been adding playdates to our routine.

You make it seem like he is avoiding the conversation. Tell him in a week or so you want to just sit and discuss, like a business meeting. Challenge him and you to create list of BOTH pros and cons of BOTH options. This will force him to see those bad things about public school and he also had to find some good things for homeschooling (honestly you being happy should have nothing to do with pros).

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)