Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

HELP! First grader hates writing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2012 at 7:31 PM
  • 15 Replies

My first grader absolutely hates to write! It takes her an hour to do 2 very simple pages out of her writing workbook. I want so bad for her to be a good writer and to enjoy the task. Anyone have any ideas on how I can make writing more fun and intresting for her?

by on Mar. 26, 2012 at 7:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Mar. 26, 2012 at 7:33 PM
Try doing things other than pencil and paper. Writing in sand, chalk, paint, colored pencils, crayons. My daughters favorite thing to write with is dry erase markers and a board. It's insane how fun it is fr her instead of pencil. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Mar. 26, 2012 at 7:34 PM
Just thought of chalkboard with (finger dipped in) water, paintbrushes and water out on the driveway or deck, shaving cream on the table.

Do you have a tablet or iPad? There are handwriting apps on there tht may make it more fun.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 26, 2012 at 7:38 PM
1 mom liked this

IF she hats it now pushing her to do it will only make her hat it more & for  ever! So my advise is to back off of it right now because she is still young & it won't hurt anything to let that go for a bit to let her discover it on her own.

rowansmum
by on Mar. 26, 2012 at 8:13 PM
I agree. Diff mediums could help too. If you've pushed too hard already you may just have to wait. Show her the different languages of the world. Include some ancient ones and asl too. If you spark an interest in language it may help.

Quoting usmom3:

IF she hats it now pushing her to do it will only make her hat it more & for  ever! So my advise is to back off of it right now because she is still young & it won't hurt anything to let that go for a bit to let her discover it on her own.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Saraho5
by on Mar. 26, 2012 at 8:56 PM
I agree with with all previous posts. You could also model writing for her. Read a book & then let her help you write the sentence. Go slow & do your thinking outloud as you model a sentence or two while she watches on. Then let her draw a pic that goes along with it or something!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sisko34
by on Mar. 26, 2012 at 8:56 PM

If she hates writing she may be dyslexic.......had this same problem with my 1st grader.

LindaClement
by on Mar. 26, 2012 at 8:59 PM

That's pretty normal.

One of the joys of homeschooling is that you can do things at the child's pace --instead of the government's, the curriculum committee's or anyone else's.

When she's ready, it will be much easier. Until she's ready, she probably has some very important work to do, learning what she can, developing as fast as she can...

LindaClement
by on Mar. 26, 2012 at 9:00 PM

I think these are really good ideas.

Quoting Boobah:

Try doing things other than pencil and paper. Writing in sand, chalk, paint, colored pencils, crayons. My daughters favorite thing to write with is dry erase markers and a board. It's insane how fun it is fr her instead of pencil. Lol

Lucy269
by on Mar. 26, 2012 at 9:05 PM

http://www.hwtears.com/hwt . This program was giving a demo at the Hotel I work at. The little info I got sounded really interesting. This may help. Other than have her write maybe funny stories or just funny sayings. My parents did that with me and my sisters to get us to write and get better at handwriting.

oredeb
by on Mar. 27, 2012 at 10:38 AM

maybe starting her out with cursive might help

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN