Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HELP! First grader hates writing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by   + Show Post

My first grader absolutely hates to write! It takes her an hour to do 2 very simple pages out of her writing workbook. I want so bad for her to be a good writer and to enjoy the task. Anyone have any ideas on how I can make writing more fun and intresting for her?

by on Mar. 26, 2012 at 7:31 PM
Replies (11-15):
masonsmommy107
by on Mar. 27, 2012 at 10:45 AM

reword her for finishing her work with a peice of candy and if she does it with out problem all week reword her with a big prize like go get a pedi with mommy or a doll or something she's been wanting

lucsch
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2012 at 1:01 PM

It will come with time.

My dd was very similar. I say "was" because she is now in 3rd grade and writes beautiful and rather long stories--not for school, just for fun! She also does several workbooks for school-math, Greek, vocabulary, and handwriting. This year, I was surprised how pretty her cursive is becoming. Her printing never really was the best.

Back in K and 1st, and even last year in 2nd, to some extent, she found writing of any kind difficult. So, I only made her write the bare minimum--sometimes I even wrote her math answers for her. Gradually, we increased the amount. You can do a lot of learning without writing.. Read aloud, have her read. Have her dictate to you.

Another thing I found was that she could write more easily on a markerboard. Her are some we used extensively:

Dry Erase Marker Boards

Vicky1975
by on Mar. 27, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Tell her if she does a good job she can do something she likes once she gets done.

Worked wonders for me. My son is done in a fraction of the time.

jlevins
by on Mar. 28, 2012 at 12:49 AM

Quoting sisko34:

If she hates writing she may be dyslexic.......had this same problem with my 1st grader.

We have actually had her tested because that was my first thought as well, but it turns out that she is not. She does have ADHD though and I do believe that it is a contributing factor. I guess I should have mentioned that! We have chosen not to medicate her for know because I just feel that at home we could manage it without. We have been working on it, but I'm not really sure what to do to manage the writing aspect.

sisko34
by on Mar. 28, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Check out www.dyslexia.com

while its key goal is helping dyslexics the site also has alot of info for ADHD kids as well.

Good for you for not putting her on medication!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)