Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

k12

Posted by on Mar. 27, 2012 at 10:30 AM
  • 27 Replies

has anyone done this? how is it? I am yanking my three kids out of school next year. I can't stand this school system.

I love being married.  It's so great to find that one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life.  ~Rita Rudner

by on Mar. 27, 2012 at 10:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
colman4
by on Mar. 27, 2012 at 10:35 AM

We have done it and we are doing it again next year. This will be our 3rd year. We LOVE it! It is a lot of work..but, you learn that some things can be skipped if the kids understand the topic. It is nice to have a Homeroom teacher to be able to go to for ?'s. They have fun field trips and get togethers. The work approach has different ways to teach it so however your child learns they will get it! There is online work and book work. The testing and certain work is sent monthly for you, so you don't need to pay to find someone to test your kids. The school automatically sends your kids papers/tests for you. One thing off your plate. The school work is set up for you..just a little to prep the night before. We love it!

Let me know if you have any ?'s  and Where do you live??

Anne

gypsy_rose
by on Mar. 27, 2012 at 10:40 AM

I live in MA. I have one learning disabled child, one that is sooooo bored with school and one that is average. I am sick of the local school district here. They think that if kids dont fit into a certain mold they should be medicated. 

Quoting colman4:

We have done it and we are doing it again next year. This will be our 3rd year. We LOVE it! It is a lot of work..but, you learn that some things can be skipped if the kids understand the topic. It is nice to have a Homeroom teacher to be able to go to for ?'s. They have fun field trips and get togethers. The work approach has different ways to teach it so however your child learns they will get it! There is online work and book work. The testing and certain work is sent monthly for you, so you don't need to pay to find someone to test your kids. The school automatically sends your kids papers/tests for you. One thing off your plate. The school work is set up for you..just a little to prep the night before. We love it!

Anne

I love being married.  It's so great to find that one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life.  ~Rita Rudner

colman4
by on Mar. 27, 2012 at 10:51 AM

That is what we ran into too. They expect all kids to learn the same way..and if they don't fit the mold, they have a learning disability..PHEWY!!! I personally believe the school system in geared more for girls. Girls can sit longer..oys need to run and play!!! Not saying girls don't, they can play quietly better than boys. We decided to put our kids in PS for the remainder of the year. I have been having issues with my pregnancy. It has been HORRIBLE! I know my son is smart!! He is in a 'special' reading class because his teacher thought he needed the help. His new reading teacher looked at me and told me he reads better than every kid in there..he just has a hard time sitting still..which we already knew! We are going back to K12 next year.

Quoting gypsy_rose:

I live in MA. I have one learning disabled child, one that is sooooo bored with school and one that is average. I am sick of the local school district here. They think that if kids dont fit into a certain mold they should be medicated. 

Quoting colman4:

Anne

Janis198
by on Mar. 27, 2012 at 11:26 AM

I have 1 child in k12 we started in February so far I really like it.

gypsy_rose
by on Mar. 27, 2012 at 11:48 AM
1 mom liked this

I am sick of the crap at my kids school district. they even went so far as to say we are STARVING my kids to have CPS come to our house. They came up with a whole ton of nasty accusations because we don't do what they want us to do.

These are my STARVING kids.

MLynn28
by on Mar. 27, 2012 at 12:19 PM

We have been doing k12 this year and we LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!!  You can make it fit your everyday life style; which is what we needed since we have to travel a lot for my doctor visits.  My family are night owls, so we do most of our work at night.  She atttends the later afternoon elluminates which make everything way easier for us!

gypsy_rose
by on Mar. 27, 2012 at 12:24 PM

I realy think this will be the best option for us. 

Quoting MLynn28:

We have been doing k12 this year and we LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!!  You can make it fit your everyday life style; which is what we needed since we have to travel a lot for my doctor visits.  My family are night owls, so we do most of our work at night.  She atttends the later afternoon elluminates which make everything way easier for us!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 27, 2012 at 3:45 PM

I haven't tried k12. It seems to where you love it or hate it with not a lot of middle ground. 8)

lsnyder43
by on Mar. 27, 2012 at 4:50 PM

This was our first year doing K12.  We are doing the International Academy.  We love it! Very pricey but very nice! I am trying to talk DH into letting me do the independent study curric with my youngest for K next yr.  But he wants to send him to ps :(

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Mar. 27, 2012 at 6:04 PM

We did a partial K12 this year and we like it so much that we're doing it all next year.  (also we won't have to pay anymore since it is a legal charter school here in PA! So YAY!!)  We Did history, phonics, and math.  The history program is awesome!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)