Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling a High Schooler

Posted by on Mar. 27, 2012 at 9:07 PM
  • 9 Replies

Hi, my name is Sandy and I am new to this group. I have 3 children 15 (16 in a few weeks), 12 and 3. I was wondering if there are other high school homeschooling Moms in the group. This is our second year of homeschooling (first year of real homeschooling) and so having someone else to talk to and compare stories with would be great. Also would love to hear from other Moms who have had children graduate from hs. I know it will get easier over time but I worry myself sick over everything :). Look forward to getting to know all of you!

Sandy

by on Mar. 27, 2012 at 9:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
oredeb
by debbie on Mar. 27, 2012 at 9:16 PM
1 mom liked this

hi sandy and welcome!!! my kids are homeschool graduates, and now im homeschooling 5 more from 10-14.

what are you using for homeschooling your kids? dont worry! it will work out, they will graduate and go on with their lives normal human beings!hahahahaa

oh yea and it just gets funner! is that even a word!

we did unit studies for highschool well we did unit studies for all the grades

we kept a timeline so we could see what periods and etc we had already learned about, 

the kids each had a math book(saxon) and a lang. book(rod and staff) and the rest of the subjects(bible, reading, spelling, writing, history, science, art, music, etc) were included with what ever unit study we were doing usually they had somethning to do with science and history

my kids chose not to go to college, they got jobs  instead

now 3 are married with their own homes oldest one is still single, they all have good paying jobs and that with just being homeschooled and a ged!hahaha

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 27, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Hi! I have a teenager that we unschool & to younger ones as well!

sandylynn1234
by on Mar. 27, 2012 at 9:47 PM

It is a word in my book :). I am using ACE right now but thinking af doing some changes. I want them to enjoy school and learning! Any advice after all those years of schooling?

I have been doing a lot of research on the unschool and like some of the things I have read. So I would love to hear more about what you do and how your days go.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 27, 2012 at 10:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Hi. Welcome. :)
We have 3 teenagers with one of them about to graduate this year. So you won't be the only one who wants to swap stories or information. lol :)  Ask away.

sandylynn1234
by on Mar. 27, 2012 at 10:20 PM

With 3 in high school what curriculum do you use? Do your kids like it and are you on a strict schedule with it? How will you go about transcripts for college? How do you know we are not making our kids stupid. Yep I have all kinds of crazy questions in my head, LOL!! I just hope and pray I am doing the right thing but I really do believe I am and all will be Okay! I hope!!

awilliams77
by on Mar. 28, 2012 at 11:01 AM
I was hs for grades. 10-12 and I am now married with 4 children and a productive member of society. LoL.
Our 4 are now 12 (boy) and 16, 19, 21 (girls). The older 2 graduated from hs and are now pursuing post highschool eduacation. 21 yr old is attending USC for a psychology degree, and 19 yr old is in massage therapy school. Both are working a job as well. 12 and 16 yr old are still homeschooled. 16 yr old has a few babysitting jobs and just got hired at the mall. None have ever attended a traditional school.
We have used unit studies (konos) , switched on schoolhouse, textbooks, workbooks, and even a brief stint of online charter school. But I really am an unschooler at heart!
sandylynn1234
by on Mar. 28, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Thank you for this. These are the stories I love to hear about. I know it works I just like to hear it from real people!!

Quoting awilliams77:

I was hs for grades. 10-12 and I am now married with 4 children and a productive member of society. LoL.
Our 4 are now 12 (boy) and 16, 19, 21 (girls). The older 2 graduated from hs and are now pursuing post highschool eduacation. 21 yr old is attending USC for a psychology degree, and 19 yr old is in massage therapy school. Both are working a job as well. 12 and 16 yr old are still homeschooled. 16 yr old has a few babysitting jobs and just got hired at the mall. None have ever attended a traditional school.
We have used unit studies (konos) , switched on schoolhouse, textbooks, workbooks, and even a brief stint of online charter school. But I really am an unschooler at heart!

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Mar. 28, 2012 at 1:04 PM
I homeschool my 14yo. He will be high school in the fall. However, he's planning to go back to PS. Wahhhhh...I'm dreading dealing with it but leaving it up to him.

I will be watching this thread in case he changes his mind or things don't work out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2E-Mommy
by on Mar. 30, 2012 at 2:02 AM

I am homeschooling my 15 year old (homeschooled since she was 4.5 with three years of Waldorf school experimentation mixed in...nightmare), and she is doing very well. We use a mixture of community college courses and Alpha Omega Lifepacs. I have been keeping transcripts since her 8th grade year, and plan to issue a diploma at the end of this year.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)