Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Where Does the Moon Come From?

Posted by on Mar. 27, 2012 at 9:45 PM
BJ
  • 13 Replies
1 mom liked this

New research has cast doubt on the prevailing theory about how the moon came into being. Find out more about the study and several other lunar origin hypotheses set forth by scientists over the years.

http://www.history.com/news/2012/03/27/where-does-the-moon-come-from/

by on Mar. 27, 2012 at 9:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chftmama
by on Mar. 27, 2012 at 9:56 PM
Ooo cool
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
duttonwood
by on Mar. 27, 2012 at 10:00 PM
1 mom liked this

no thanks, I know that God made and hung the moon and I know why. I don't need to waste my time on what scientist think. Just read your Bible

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 27, 2012 at 10:17 PM
3 moms liked this

I am happy for you! But some homeschoolers want there children to know science & I thought they would like this information!

Quoting duttonwood:

no thanks, I know that God made and hung the moon and I know why. I don't need to waste my time on what scientist think. Just read your Bible

borgen0128
by on Mar. 27, 2012 at 10:20 PM
1 mom liked this
I love this kind off stuff. Thanks for posting!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 27, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Thanks!

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 27, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Your Welcome!

Quoting borgen0128:

I love this kind off stuff. Thanks for posting!

jendawn1
by on Mar. 27, 2012 at 11:40 PM
Neat thank you!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
5BMom
by on Mar. 28, 2012 at 12:12 AM
Thank you!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
msmed
by on Mar. 28, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Very cool!

wanderingwolf
by on Mar. 28, 2012 at 1:05 PM

I love astronomy! I remember watching an episode on the moon that astronomers think that another planet crashed into the earth which completley obliberated the other planet (at one time there were hundres of planets zipping around our solar system shortly after the Big Bang) and this planet while essenitally destroying itself (I believe they said it was about the size of Earth and possibly could have happend to Mercury as well to explain why Mercury has no atmosphere) blew off some of the Earth's crust which collected and formed the moon, being swept up into Earth's gravitational pull.  But the moon is slowly moving away from us, about 1 inch a year (pretty sure that is what was said) and eventually it will completley vanish out of Earth's orbit.  We need the moon as it controls the tides, the seasons, even our own axis.  Without the moon.... it's possible that life would never have elvolved past bacteria and that Earth would be entirely different then what it is right now.  Same with us needing Jupiter.  Jupiter is actually protecing us from many asteroid bombardments and same with the moon (if you notice it's surface is littered with crater marks). 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN