Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Switching to cyber school

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2012 at 12:28 AM
  • 4 Replies

Hello! I have 3 kids.. 16, 11 and 7.

I am planning to cyber shool my 11 and 7 year old next school year. I never thought this would be something I would be doing. I have a few questions if you don't mind.

1) Is joining a co-op a good idea?( I am so worried about boredom) or is there something else to try so they make friends with a similar lifestyle?

2) How did you set up a workspace for each child?

Thank you!

ps.. we live in Pennylvania

by on Mar. 28, 2012 at 12:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
romacox
by Silver Member on Mar. 28, 2012 at 6:31 AM

co-ops can provide support, group field trips, days where parents take turns  teaching the children, play days, ceremonies (graduation and holidays), mom's night out, help with state laws, and more.  So I think it is definitely important.  Following is an article written by an adult home schooled child.

What Is A Home School Co-op

Most home school groups register with their state home school associations.  So if you contact them, they can likely help you find a group near you.  Pennsylvania has three that I found at this link:

Pennsylvania Home School Associations  

P.S. Joining one of your State Associations is very reasonable price wise, and well worth it.  They provide workshops for training parent educators, assistance with state laws, conventions where you can purchase curriculum at a discount, and more.

oredeb
by on Mar. 28, 2012 at 10:48 AM

joining a coop is a good idea, fun for the child, you will be able to talk to the other parents, the kids might make some friends,

work space for kids, i have a separate room for our homeschooling, i use book cases, and a file cabinet, and a long table that we work off of. each of ther kids has their own shelf on the book shelf and a plastic box. they put there books on the shelf and in the plastic box goes pencils erasers pens crayons, paper etc. otherwise we all work together on our large table

VioletPlacebo
by on Mar. 28, 2012 at 7:30 PM

I would think your cyber school would have a setup where the kids can meet in person and you could set up your own co-op with the other families in that school. I know ours does. I only have one child, so I can't really answer your other question.

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 28, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Not all but some homeschool co-ops are stuck up about cyber schooled families joining them because they don't think it is the same as homeschooling! I think that is very wrong of them to be so rude & judgmental but I have meet a lot of Moms on-line & in real life that have been treated bad all because they chose to use a cyber school for their kids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN