Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What age do expect cursing to start at?

Posted by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 5:02 AM
  • 16 Replies

High School Overreacts to Student's Use of the F-Word

Posted by Jeanne Sager on March 27, 2012 

cuss boxA high school senior in Indiana was caught dropping the f-bomb on Twitter. And in other shocking news, the earth is round. What did you say? You're not shocked by either of these bits of knowledge? Well let me add to it! The cursing teenager has been expelled from high school for his use of the f-word.

That's right, ladies and germs. Austin Carroll cannot graduate with his class at Garrett High School, go to prom, or do any other normal teenager things because he acted like a normal teenager.

It seems some high school administrators have forgotten what it was like when they were teenagers, back when cursing was still fun. You remember, don't you? It was a little naughty, but that's kind of the point of building your cussing vocab when you're in high school. Teens start to test out words that were taboo for years, and it's going to take them awhile to figure out when and where to use them.

They will learn that cursing in most social situations ends up making you look like an idiot. And they will learn that there are times when a certain four-letter word makes you feel better.

In an added twist of irony, Caroll's Tweet, which I should note was not directed at someone (we're not talking Internet threats ... which falls under bullying), was meant to show just how versatile this particular epithet can be:

F---ing is one of those f---ing words you can f---ing put anywhere in a f---ing sentence and it still f---ing make sense.

I have to agree with him. I'm a grown adult, and I'll cop to some fanship for the f-word. What's not to love? I'm old enough that it's not an everyday word anymore. I gave that up when I was probably just a little older than Austin Carroll, when I had actual bills to pay and a job that required me to act with decorum. But sometimes, there is just no other word that will do. Like when you're on your fourth computer crash of the day. It is perfectly acceptable to inform said computer that it is a "f---ing" piece of garbage. Especially when you work at home. Alone. And depend on that computer.

Folks, I'm not about to sign my 6-year-old up for a "learn your four-letter words in one hour" course. We don't curse around her. But I've accepted that one day, when she's moved into double-digit age category, it's going to happen. She's going to use one, and instead of a reprimand, I'm going to roll my eyes and let it happen.

Kids have to learn some time. So I just can't see a reason to expel a kid for a little cursing -- whether he made that note while using a school computer (he says he didn't) or at home.

How about you? What age do expect cursing to start at?

by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 5:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Larisa72
by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 8:26 AM

well...now it all depends on what they are exposed to....having said that, my almost 12yo got sent to the office for saying "f*** you" to another student who was bullying both my son and a friend of his.  While we applaud him standing up for himself and his friend, we told him he needed to choose more appropriate language for the setting he was in

we have substituted food words for swear words....and my 8yo told the almost 12yo to stop being such an "apple-hole" {sigh}.....not pawning the blame, they don't get it from tv, the have heard it come from my mouth and sometimes dad's as well....which is why we have a curse jar that is rapidly filling....ALL of us put money in, not just the parents....it is something we are working on....

now....a high schooler..particularly a senior....yeah, I kind of expect it from them......

oredeb
by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 10:15 AM

well i think it depends on where the child goes to school and if they hear it at home or not

judahsmommy80
by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 10:22 AM
This...

Quoting oredeb:

well i think it depends on where the child goes to school and if they hear it at home or not

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Mar. 29, 2012 at 12:06 PM
Yep. I started using curse words in 6th grade I think, but not the f bomb.

Quoting judahsmommy80:

This...

Quoting oredeb:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 29, 2012 at 12:22 PM
1 mom liked this

In this case, I think the school is wrong. Missing Prom, and graduation for that? I don't think so. He didn't say Principal So and so is a f*cking loser. I think think the school will let him off easier.

rinaann
by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 12:23 PM

i cursed all thru high school 

i wouldnt care if my children cursed in high school as long as its not directed at someone 

I would be pissed off if my children got expelled for cussing that is bullshit

whoopsie16
by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 12:29 PM

I started in 4th grade but not around my parents just around the kids at school & im a jr. in HS and still dont use profanity around my parents (not including the one time I lost it & cursed out my stepmom)  but I think its disrespectful. the most I say is "crap" and im not sure if that counts.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Mar. 29, 2012 at 12:39 PM

My DS picked up the F bomb and Nig__ in KINDERGARTEN! One of the many reasons we pulled them from public school! I had to jump on that REAL quick.

DS2 got suspended for writing "fuk yoo" on the back of a math test in first grade. no name, no who it ws directed at. For a child with a learning disability it was a pretty darn good phoneticspelling LOL (NO I didn't condone it but it's funny as heck now!)

I would expect them to start cursing around Jr high and high school among their peers and still disapprove of it but if they slip now and then I wouldn't make it a huge, "OMG THE WORLD IS FALLING" issue. 

calimom1123
by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 12:39 PM
I never cursed. My parents and friends never did either. I dont expect dd to start.Shes not around anyone who does and its not acceptable in our home.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chftmama
by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 12:40 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm not a fan of cursing, ever, but I don't think a teen should be expelled for using the f-word on Facebook
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN