Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What age do expect cursing to start at?

Posted by   + Show Post

High School Overreacts to Student's Use of the F-Word

Posted by Jeanne Sager on March 27, 2012 

cuss boxA high school senior in Indiana was caught dropping the f-bomb on Twitter. And in other shocking news, the earth is round. What did you say? You're not shocked by either of these bits of knowledge? Well let me add to it! The cursing teenager has been expelled from high school for his use of the f-word.

That's right, ladies and germs. Austin Carroll cannot graduate with his class at Garrett High School, go to prom, or do any other normal teenager things because he acted like a normal teenager.

It seems some high school administrators have forgotten what it was like when they were teenagers, back when cursing was still fun. You remember, don't you? It was a little naughty, but that's kind of the point of building your cussing vocab when you're in high school. Teens start to test out words that were taboo for years, and it's going to take them awhile to figure out when and where to use them.

They will learn that cursing in most social situations ends up making you look like an idiot. And they will learn that there are times when a certain four-letter word makes you feel better.

In an added twist of irony, Caroll's Tweet, which I should note was not directed at someone (we're not talking Internet threats ... which falls under bullying), was meant to show just how versatile this particular epithet can be:

F---ing is one of those f---ing words you can f---ing put anywhere in a f---ing sentence and it still f---ing make sense.

I have to agree with him. I'm a grown adult, and I'll cop to some fanship for the f-word. What's not to love? I'm old enough that it's not an everyday word anymore. I gave that up when I was probably just a little older than Austin Carroll, when I had actual bills to pay and a job that required me to act with decorum. But sometimes, there is just no other word that will do. Like when you're on your fourth computer crash of the day. It is perfectly acceptable to inform said computer that it is a "f---ing" piece of garbage. Especially when you work at home. Alone. And depend on that computer.

Folks, I'm not about to sign my 6-year-old up for a "learn your four-letter words in one hour" course. We don't curse around her. But I've accepted that one day, when she's moved into double-digit age category, it's going to happen. She's going to use one, and instead of a reprimand, I'm going to roll my eyes and let it happen.

Kids have to learn some time. So I just can't see a reason to expel a kid for a little cursing -- whether he made that note while using a school computer (he says he didn't) or at home.

How about you? What age do expect cursing to start at?

by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 5:02 AM
Replies (11-16):
usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 29, 2012 at 2:25 PM

I grew up around it! My dad is a diesel mechanic, ever heard the saying "Mouth like a truck driver?" Well The truck drivers learn it from the mechanics! I am married to a diesel mechanic so my kids here it as much as I did & now that my oldest is 18 he says them but not around us, the little two know not to say those words!

pepsi_lover_mom
by Member on Mar. 29, 2012 at 2:54 PM

I started cursing in 5th grade.  I still remember the day at school when we were in the coat room and the other kids were asking me what all curse words I knew and they were all excited to learn new ones lol...for being the quiet shy never in trouble girl i started something real bad!! lol

I didnt start cursing as part of normal adolesent language until i was in 9th grade. My dad let it slide and my mom was (and still is) all over me like white on rice if i let a curse word slip infront of her.

I would expect ds to start saying them around late jr high.

Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2012 at 10:05 PM

None, I grew up knowing cuss words but not saying any, and my children know them but don't say them.  It's a choice to use fowl words in place of other descriptive words that aren't consider so inappropriate.  To me it's never fine to use inappropriate language at somebody, that to me is verbal assault.

2E-Mommy
by on Mar. 30, 2012 at 1:11 AM

I agree that it depends on exposure and school setting. We are pretty strict about language in our house, and noticed "potty talk" (such as poop or fart) starting about age 6 through 8, and my 15 year old has just started trying to use the word crap. They do say "H-E-double hockey sticks", or "H-E-double toothpicks", but don't say the actual words. For example, my youngest just talked to me about the show "H-E-double hockey sticks Kitchen" . LOL

Jeremmy
by on Mar. 30, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Ive never said a swear word. I realized early on that they are nonsensical words that make the person saying them sound less intelligent. My kids will be raised the same way. Although Ive never heard of a school expelling someone for using a swear word on a social media site before....

rinaann
by on Mar. 30, 2012 at 8:34 PM

i use "swear words" to me they are just other words

idk how using certain words makes you sound less intelligent

i dont think saying the f word or any other "bad" word makes me sound less intelligent than anyone else they are just words and as long as they are not aimed at anyone i dont see how they are any different than any other words

Quoting Jeremmy:

Ive never said a swear word. I realized early on that they are nonsensical words that make the person saying them sound less intelligent. My kids will be raised the same way. Although Ive never heard of a school expelling someone for using a swear word on a social media site before....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)