Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

homeschool schedule: routine or flexible?

Posted by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 11:23 AM
  • 23 Replies
I'm new to the group so I'm sorry if this was covered recently.
I was just curious if your schedules are a set routine schedule or are they flexible? I would love to have a set schedule...I have a melancholy personality ...but with a 6 month old and my 6yo daughter is a sanguine I've had to learn to be flexible and its very difficult ...lol!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 11:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Mar. 29, 2012 at 12:04 PM
2 moms liked this
Oh, so flexible! Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
judahsmommy80
by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 12:09 PM
Lol...mine is even more so today...ugh! Hahaha

Quoting Boobah:

Oh, so flexible! Lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Mar. 29, 2012 at 12:13 PM
1 mom liked this
I tried this morning, I really did! Lol! We got spelling and math done, but the almost 3 year old challenged me every minute while working with my 6 yo. I gave up after those two subjects and will finish during nap!

Quoting judahsmommy80:

Lol...mine is even more so today...ugh! Hahaha

Quoting Boobah:

Oh, so flexible! Lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Mar. 29, 2012 at 12:33 PM
1 mom liked this

To me a "routine' is flexible. If you are talking "schedule" then NO.

We do what I consider a routine. On Monday, each child is given an assignment sheet broken down by day and subject. However they don't have to do it all daily, or can double up as long as everything is completed by 1pm on Friday.  The only exceptions are that I teach Science, grammar and All About spelling to the younger two 4xx aweek. that I'm pretty rigid about doing EVERY day.

School starts at 9 am. the kids get up, get dressed and get their own breakfast (most days) on their own and all electronics go off at 9am. They may take breaks, get water as needed and lunch is around noon.

We varywhen we do our three group topics. On Tuesday we have an early homeschool parkour and gymnastics class so we do them 1st thing. Sometimes one child gets up and starts early so we wait until they finish a lesson or two then start. Some days we do it right after lunch. It really dependso n the mood nadwhatwe have going on.

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 29, 2012 at 2:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Flexible other wise I would be even more crazy then I already am!

5BMom
by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 4:44 PM
1 mom liked this
Bendably, wiggly, up and down FLEXIBLE!!!!! We have weekly items to check off, but how, when, and where they get done in any given week is totally 100% random.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 5:09 PM
2 moms liked this

i do have a set schedule thats very flexible!

we start at 9 and end at 1, most days! who knows what goes on between 9 and 1!!! hahahaha

judahsmommy80
by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 8:40 PM
Lol...this is my goal...Hahaha!

Quoting oredeb:

i do have a set schedule thats very flexible!

we start at 9 and end at 1, most days! who knows what goes on between 9 and 1!!! hahahaha

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rsrangel
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2012 at 8:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Is "routine" even a word in the homeschooling world???  ;-)  I was a strict structured person with a routine when we started but it didn't last long.  Homeschooling has taught me to be flexible and I'm thankful for that because it's so much fun!  But, I have recently learned that my oldest works best with routine and we were having a very tough time with him when our homeschooling got too relaxed.  So last month I made a daily "school" schedule for him as well as a desk calendar that I marked the days he would have off that way he could visually see what was coming.  He has flourished since I did this!  I do have a few different curriculum choices for each subject so I can constantly mix things up and keep it from getting boring which they love too.  Little brother loves the flexibility though.  Even with the schedule, I still try to be flexible - like if we come across something my oldest shows interest in, we might venture off and do things revolving around that subject instead of the normal....but he has to have the visual schedule to see or he has a tough time.  AND, he never minds me throwing it all out the window one day so we can go to the beach instead.  This is the flexibility that I love.  :)

Kaylon
by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 8:54 PM
1 mom liked this

We are very flexible! :0)  With two lively boys that are always on the go.. I have to be! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN