Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

homeschool rebellion

Posted by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 1:33 PM
  • 29 Replies

How do you handle the situation when your child decides s/he no longer wants to coroporate.

Today for some reason ds has refused to do any school work, he tries his fake crying and his fake "i'm tired" stuff. I've taken away everything including his fieldtrip tomorrow to the museum. So far hes still refusing to do anything.

by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 1:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 29, 2012 at 1:39 PM
4 moms liked this

When in doubt, bake a batch of cookies.

Cookies and milk during work makes everything better :P

(and I'm the hard a*s about school work in the group, lol)

ETA: Instead of threatening to take more away if he doesn't behave, I might suggest telling him he can earn back his museum trip tomorrow - if he does his work today. He has to have a chance to redeem himself, otherwise it isn't worth it to him.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosey, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that my place, as a woman, is in the home caring for my husband and children. My husband is head of our home.             Aimee

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Mar. 29, 2012 at 1:45 PM

I'd try to find out WHY he doesn't want to do it. Is he really tired? Is he not feeling well? or does he have a day of spring fever? or is he just being a total pain in the ass child?

Maybe you could change up the plan. Make itsome fun and games instead of seat work. or bargain...15 minutes of playtime = 15 minutes of work time.

I'm a hardass- School comes first period. So I would have a hard time with "bake a batch of cookies." Now a lil bribery, "get X done and we will make cookies" works for me. I'm not opposed to teaching them that hard work has rewards. Some call it bribery...whatever works! LOL

If it's just a pure pain in the arse power struggle, then allheck would break loose and I'm not beneath resorting to spanking because, as I said, school happens. it's your "job" as a child just as it's my job to keep you safe , clean and fed, and DH's job to bring home a paycheck and take care of us!

pepsi_lover_mom
by Member on Mar. 29, 2012 at 2:38 PM

He is just being a total pain in the ass child. I have tried bribery, i've tried telling him i'm calling the peckerhead, i told him i'm calling the midnight fairy, and i've spanked him...so far progress is  being made though because hes atleast sitting at his table crying lol.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

I'd try to find out WHY he doesn't want to do it. Is he really tired? Is he not feeling well? or does he have a day of spring fever? or is he just being a total pain in the ass child?

Maybe you could change up the plan. Make itsome fun and games instead of seat work. or bargain...15 minutes of playtime = 15 minutes of work time.

I'm a hardass- School comes first period. So I would have a hard time with "bake a batch of cookies." Now a lil bribery, "get X done and we will make cookies" works for me. I'm not opposed to teaching them that hard work has rewards. Some call it bribery...whatever works! LOL

If it's just a pure pain in the arse power struggle, then allheck would break loose and I'm not beneath resorting to spanking because, as I said, school happens. it's your "job" as a child just as it's my job to keep you safe , clean and fed, and DH's job to bring home a paycheck and take care of us!

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 29, 2012 at 2:51 PM
2 moms liked this

Haven't you ever had a day where you just didn't want to do what you knew you where supposed to do & decided not to do those things? Why can't kids have that option every now & then too? I would just chalk to day up as a bad day go do something relaxing & fun & start fresh tomorrow & forget that today happened!

oredeb
by debbie on Mar. 29, 2012 at 5:17 PM

how old is he?

pepsi_lover_mom
by Member on Mar. 29, 2012 at 5:30 PM

The thing is he does this more frequently than not. Up until today i've been able to get him back on gear. I have no idea why he is deciding to behave this way.

Quoting usmom3:

Haven't you ever had a day where you just didn't want to do what you knew you where supposed to do & decided not to do those things? Why can't kids have that option every now & then too? I would just chalk to day up as a bad day go do something relaxing & fun & start fresh tomorrow & forget that today happened!

pepsi_lover_mom
by Member on Mar. 29, 2012 at 5:30 PM

almost 6

Quoting oredeb:

how old is he?

oredeb
by debbie on Mar. 29, 2012 at 5:32 PM
2 moms liked this

send him out to pull weeds, tell him he has to do something to earn his keep since he doenst school anymore!

Quoting pepsi_lover_mom:

almost 6

Quoting oredeb:

how old is he?

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 29, 2012 at 5:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I would change it up & get creative! Let him decide the order of things, try something new & different!

Is what you are having him do new or review? If it is new find a different way to do it! If it is review & he knows it don't do it! Kids get board easy with repetitiononce they have mastered something so let him move on if that is the case! If it is review & he doesn't know it find a different way for it too!

Quoting pepsi_lover_mom:

The thing is he does this more frequently than not. Up until today i've been able to get him back on gear. I have no idea why he is deciding to behave this way.

Quoting usmom3:

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 29, 2012 at 6:10 PM
3 moms liked this

I have off days too. I'm sure you do. Can you expect more from a child?

I'm sorry. Just as some have a hard time with my "bake a batch of cookies" philosophy - I have an equally hard time with the "spank him if he doesn't submit" philosophy. Especially a five year old. Well, any age really. Lol.

Oh well. To each their own. Lol.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosey, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that my place, as a woman, is in the home caring for my husband and children. My husband is head of our home.             Aimee

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)