Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How do you handle the situation when your child decides s/he no longer wants to coroporate.

Today for some reason ds has refused to do any school work, he tries his fake crying and his fake "i'm tired" stuff. I've taken away everything including his fieldtrip tomorrow to the museum. So far hes still refusing to do anything.

by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 1:33 PM
Replies (21-29):
2E-Mommy
by on Mar. 30, 2012 at 2:07 AM

Quoting AutymsMommy:

When in doubt, bake a batch of cookies.

Cookies and milk during work makes everything better :P

(and I'm the hard a*s about school work in the group, lol)

ETA: Instead of threatening to take more away if he doesn't behave, I might suggest telling him he can earn back his museum trip tomorrow - if he does his work today. He has to have a chance to redeem himself, otherwise it isn't worth it to him.

LOL!!! *LOVE* this!!!

lucsch
by on Mar. 30, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Oh, at age 5, and a boy....I'm going to say perhaps you are expecting too much out of him.

justme00
by on Mar. 30, 2012 at 2:42 PM

I say relax at 5-6 and a boy hands on learning is the best anyway IMO. There is some many ways of learning at that age and boys learn better with their hands in things. Like math rather then work sheets you can try useing M&Ms or toy cars or backing cookies. Talk a walk ouside and chatch bugs then tell him a few facts about them or gather up rocks and learn about them. Keeping it fun is best at this age, or at least that what I have learnd schooling my 5 boys.

Bethsunshine
by on Mar. 30, 2012 at 2:53 PM
1 mom liked this

At 5, you might be expecting too much out of him.  Learning should be fun, not a battle. Too mujch structure will destroy his love of learning VERY quickly!!  That's what happens in public school. There is nothing that he NEEDS to learn right now and if you keep pushing, he is going to continue not learning a darn thing. Unit studies are a simple, fun way to learn without all the stress and structure. I'd take a few days off of school and then when you want to start over, pick a fun unit study. This website has free unit studies and lapbooks.

http://www.homeschoolshare.com/

I agree with justmee about letting him learn through playing.

Join us in Christian Homeschoolers!!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/3200

romacox
by Silver Member on Mar. 30, 2012 at 3:10 PM
1 mom liked this

My children are all grown, but I still tutor, and I find it is much easier to avoid a power struggle than it is to reverse one.  Each of the 4 basic personality types has different reasons for rebelling.  Understanding the different personality types, and what can trigger a power struggle is most.helpful. 

Here are 4 videos describing the four basic personality types, and links to more information on each one. Understanding The Different Personalities.

LynnGrey
by on Apr. 1, 2012 at 5:07 AM

Have him run a lap

StrictMomof2
by on Apr. 1, 2012 at 8:43 AM

I have the same issue from time to time with my son. There are just days that he just doesn't want to focus on school work. However, I push him to continue doing it because if he were in a regular school he'd have to do it. However, I don't stress so much over his grades on that given day (he usually makes F's.) So, I remake him do the work the following day (usually he's in a better frame of mind.) Then he usually A's the material, and I find out he's just bored of the material. Go figure!! So, I just test him on that given section for the unit, and 9/10 he makes an A.

typingCome check out my blog at http://www.tidbitsofexperience.com/. I'd love to have your feedback there.  Also it lets you know more about me and my family. Hope your having a great day.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Apr. 1, 2012 at 10:29 AM
1 mom liked this

5 year olds should be learning primarily through play.   There are so many hand on things you can do instead of sitting at a table.  When I began homeschooling I was the same way and it was very frustrating.  You can use legos to teach math, use floor puzzles to teach geography, use balloons to teach learning to read,  fun experiments you can even try,  art projects, reading together, writing together with paint on paper or on your dry erase board.  My boys are in 2nd and 4th grade and while we do seat work.  I don't push them.  I can't force them to learn.  If they want to do something different then that is what we do.  There are so many ways to learn.    Just because schools function a certain way doesn't mean we need to do it that way.  Curiosity can't be forced.  I never force my kids to do anything school related.  As they get older they can sit for longer periods and enjoy doing things that they used to hate doing.  My son will many times pour over a dictionary reading about all the words.  I merely made sure he had a dictionary with lots of cool picture?.  When ever I pick a textbook or dictionary I ask myself would I want to read it.  Does it have nice colorful picutes, ideas for experiments, good information.  Does it bore the heck out of me?  If it is boring to me imagine what it is like for my children.  All my children's curriculum has to meet their seal of approval.  It it doesn't then it is pretty useless to me.  There are times when my kids need hands on things or do something different.  Just the other day we had a science lesson on Daniel Bernoulli while using straws to drink our water.  

romacox
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Excellent comment jen2150.  It is what is know as Total Physical Response, in which the child's mind, body and senses are actively involved in the learning.  It has been around for over 30 years, and is one of the most successful forms of teaching.

Quoting jen2150:

5 year olds should be learning primarily through play.   There are so many hand on things you can do instead of sitting at a table.  When I began homeschooling I was the same way and it was very frustrating.  You can use legos to teach math, use floor puzzles to teach geography, use balloons to teach learning to read,  fun experiments you can even try,  art projects, reading together, writing together with paint on paper or on your dry erase board.  My boys are in 2nd and 4th grade and while we do seat work.  I don't push them.  I can't force them to learn.  If they want to do something different then that is what we do.  There are so many ways to learn.    Just because schools function a certain way doesn't mean we need to do it that way.  Curiosity can't be forced.  I never force my kids to do anything school related.  As they get older they can sit for longer periods and enjoy doing things that they used to hate doing.  My son will many times pour over a dictionary reading about all the words.  I merely made sure he had a dictionary with lots of cool picture?.  When ever I pick a textbook or dictionary I ask myself would I want to read it.  Does it have nice colorful picutes, ideas for experiments, good information.  Does it bore the heck out of me?  If it is boring to me imagine what it is like for my children.  All my children's curriculum has to meet their seal of approval.  It it doesn't then it is pretty useless to me.  There are times when my kids need hands on things or do something different.  Just the other day we had a science lesson on Daniel Bernoulli while using straws to drink our water.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN