Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How do you socialize the children?

Posted by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 6:00 PM
  • 13 Replies
This isn't clickable, but I'm sure some of you have seen it. It's pretty funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjOXT_KSFhA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Now, in all seriousness. I will be homeschooling my daughter but I'm wondering the *best* way to make sure she's properly socialized outside of learning day to day. I know, it sounds dumb but let me explain. I know statistics show homeschoolers are very well socialized but not if its not done right. I'm not very social as it is and was pretty shy most of my childhood. My daughter, Courtney may end up being our only child. We have family near by, but not a whole lot and no young kids. My mother and father are very supportive of my decision but one of the first things my mom asked me was, "so, you don't want her to have the "school experience?" She emphasized they obviously get socialized by default and I know its true, but its not always the best type of association depending on where that child goes to school.
So how can I feel as comfortable as possible? Do I need to get into like a homeschooling group or something where other homeschoolers get together? What if that's not a viable option? I'm anxious that my child won't have friends because it negatively affected me that I didn't have many. Thanks.
This is my intro post!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 6:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lynette
by Member on Mar. 29, 2012 at 6:13 PM

right now we go to a homeschool group once a week.  It took us awhile to find a group, but we love this one.  My oldest son is in the Cub Scouts.  Other things we have done in the past is gymnastics at the YMCA, membership to the Children's Museum, I worked at the YMCA one night a wk in the drop-off babysitting rm(I brought my kids with at no cost) in exchange for a YMCA membership.  There is the library, park, neighbors, cChurch etc.

5BMom
by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 6:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Ha!!! "properly socialized" made me laugh :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 7:52 PM
1 mom liked this

hi ashley!!! welcome!!

hahahahahahhahahahahaahhah that was funny! thats how it is too!!hahahahaha

to socialize your child! join a homeschool group, join other groups, like swimming, gymnastics, little league, homeschool co ops, let her play with kids around where you live, isnt there something called play groups, or some such thing? penpals, brownies, girlscouts, 4h, dance, karate lots of em!

im not the most outgoing person myself and my kids were socialized very good, they are all grown up and married!

everytime i hear that word 'socilize' im gona laugh now!hahahaha

wow i didnt know there was a wrong way to socialize our kids?

its up to you, by the way you talk about having friends can cause her to be anxious about it, so maybe try not to be negative or anxious  about how many friends she has or dont have, (in front of her!) she'll be watching you as she grows up! and i'd say one good friend is great!

if you think your shyness is not good change it!!! for your daughter!

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Mar. 29, 2012 at 9:24 PM
I am a homebody too. Shy, anxious, the works. My daughter is a homebody as well, and would prefer being at home most of the time. She plays with the neighbor kids a couple times a week outside now that the weather is better, has a friend come over occasionally she met in public k, we have homeschool group at our church once a month, and she also has a lot of cousins that we see often. I'm not super worried about socialization. She does have a younger sister, soon to be 2 younger sisters, but even if she didn't, I think we are just fine. We had planned on doing a homeschool swim and gym at the YMCA but it keeps getting cancelled.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ashley4584
by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 9:28 PM
Thanks everyone!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sandylynn1234
by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 9:37 PM

We go to a co-op (homeschool group) it is not inly helpful for them but also for you. Homeschooling like most things can be trying and you need someone that is going through what you are going through. It makes it so much easier. When you are with a group there are many outtings (fieldtrips) that they can also attend. Courtney will learn to socialize with people of all ages. You will be surprised how quickly they make friends and how quickly they adapt. Goodluck and please let me know if I can answer any questions you may have. We are all learning together!!

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 29, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Making friends & socializing as homeschoolers is no different then as adults you have to go where the other homeschoolers are going to be & work to find & make those friends but once you find some you see it wasn't as hard as you thought it would be.

I have made some great friends & I have made some not great friends both as an adult & as a homeschooling Mom the challenges are all the same!

2E-Mommy
by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 11:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Homeschool group classes, field trips with other homeschoolers, park day with other homeschoolers, and really just walking around town and talking to people.

ixamxmine
by on Mar. 30, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Is this the classic question that is asked of many of you when you tell people you are homeschooling? It has been for me. I have a 10 yr old that we are pulling out of PS at the end of the year. However she has many of her friends on Facebook and plans to mail them letters after we move. She's also involved in 4H and goes to a horseback riding camp during the summer. She takes riding lessons with other kids and we go to lots of family groups at a local center. If you check around perhaps you can find local groups that appeal to your lifestyle? (we do family dharma at a local temple, breastfeeding support group, baby wearing, and family yoga classes)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN