Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you socialize the children?

Posted by   + Show Post
This isn't clickable, but I'm sure some of you have seen it. It's pretty funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjOXT_KSFhA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Now, in all seriousness. I will be homeschooling my daughter but I'm wondering the *best* way to make sure she's properly socialized outside of learning day to day. I know, it sounds dumb but let me explain. I know statistics show homeschoolers are very well socialized but not if its not done right. I'm not very social as it is and was pretty shy most of my childhood. My daughter, Courtney may end up being our only child. We have family near by, but not a whole lot and no young kids. My mother and father are very supportive of my decision but one of the first things my mom asked me was, "so, you don't want her to have the "school experience?" She emphasized they obviously get socialized by default and I know its true, but its not always the best type of association depending on where that child goes to school.
So how can I feel as comfortable as possible? Do I need to get into like a homeschooling group or something where other homeschoolers get together? What if that's not a viable option? I'm anxious that my child won't have friends because it negatively affected me that I didn't have many. Thanks.
This is my intro post!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 6:00 PM
Replies (11-13):
MedicMommy2
by on Mar. 30, 2012 at 8:05 PM

My kids are probably more socialized than kids that are stuck in a classroom all day. They go everywhere, the store, the parks, we have a homeschool group at the park once a week, my older one has karate twice a week and dance once a week the younger one has dance once a week, they play with friends kids. I have never thought about making an effort to go out and meet people for them.

Ashley4584
by on Mar. 30, 2012 at 8:44 PM
This is probably my favorite response. Like for example, IMO most teenagers today are pretty brain dead and that's because they spend 99% of their time with other brain dead teenagers.
Thank you! My daughter is already so intelligent (a reason I want to homeschool) and now I know she will be more well rounded than kids in a "traditional" setting.

Quoting MedicMommy2:

My kids are probably more socialized than kids that are stuck in a classroom all day. They go everywhere, the store, the parks, we have a homeschool group at the park once a week, my older one has karate twice a week and dance once a week the younger one has dance once a week, they play with friends kids. I have never thought about making an effort to go out and meet people for them.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MedicMommy2
by on Mar. 31, 2012 at 12:55 AM

Your welcome. I just don't understand where people get off thinking that forcing kids to be in a room 40 plus hours a week with kids that are ONLY their age qualifies them to be socialized. The real world is not like that. We are preparing our children to function in society where your friends are not prechosen and they do not all have to be the same age. Some of my closest friends are 10 years older than me or 6 years younger.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)