Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschool Questions (newbie)

Posted by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 8:02 PM
  • 7 Replies

Newbie all around!  New to the group, new to homeschooling, newly pregnant again!

My eight year old daughter was having a very difficult year (her health was getting bad and her teacher was terrible) so about three weeks ago my husband and I decided to pull her out of school.  The school has been extremely accommodating and gave me a lot of access to her current school work to keep her in line with her school so she'd be on track when she returns next year.  The thing is, I don't think she's going to return next year. 

Homeschoolling is something I considered for a long time but I don't think I was ever serious about it until it felt like we were running out of options.  We were really backed into a corner and forced to make the choice to homeschool in order to support our daughter's health and happiness and it's turned out AMAZING!  Of course it's only been a little over three weeks, but this lifestyle looks like it was made for us. 

My four year old has adamantly said she'd be homeschooled when the time came, and that time is next year.  I'd said I would hold her back a year because she wasn't emotionally ready, but she's ready in every other way so we've decided, why not!  My eight year old has decided she wants to be homeschooled again next year as well and my husband and I are both in favor of it but the same old fears that held me back from doing it before are rearing their ugly heads...

How do I do this?  This year (month) has been easy because the school basically gave me what they were doing, but how do I make choices for my daughters education?  (and I feel really stupid when I read that question, but it's genuine.)

How do I choose a curriculum?  There are SO MANY!  How do I fit in enough to keep them on track but not overwhelm them?  Where do I find support, because our support network is NOT on board. How do I teach kindergarten, third grade, and have a new baby (due in august).  Can I do really this?!?! 

by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 8:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Moma3boyz
by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 8:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Welcome to the group. I am still fairly new to homeschooling also. This has been our first full year. There is so much to learn from these ladies. They are awesome. You can do this!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kaylon
by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Hello and welcome!!      First, breathe and relax.   You may think about not buying into a curriculum your first year of schooling. There are tons of free resources on the internet to print off your own.  I also recommend deschooling http://homeschool.consumerhelpweb.com/basics/deschooling.htm.)   Take some time out while deschooling to just spend time with your daughter and talk.  See what her interests or and while doing that look for her learning style.  (http://www.homeschool-curriculum-and-support.com/learning-styles.html)  Also you may look at the different teaching styles. (https://heartsathomestore.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=17)    Have you looked up your state laws on homeschooling?  If not, do so! (http://www.hslda.org/hs/default.asp)  

If you have any other questions.. there are so many wonderful homeschool moms here to answer and help you!   :)

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 29, 2012 at 11:06 PM

I agree with all the other posters! You can do this it isn't as hard as the schools would like us to think it is! Depending on your state really depends on if you need to worry about them being on the same level as the kids in school! If you are in a state that doesn't require testing I would never worry about them being on track with the school!

As far as support find a homeschool group or co-op in your aria & start to attend classes that your daughter is interested in & go on the field trips with them, you will find wonderful Moms & Dads that are willing to help you find your way!

This is a great group of Moms & we all try to give good advice with some of our own personal insight thrown in, we don't all do anything the exact same but we all try to respect each other & our opinions!

2E-Mommy
by on Mar. 30, 2012 at 12:35 AM

You will be great and your kids are so lucky that you are willing to homeschool them!!! I recommend checking out Rainbow Resource. They have samples of different curriculum you can look at online. http://www.rainbowresource.com

romacox
by Silver Member on Mar. 30, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Welcome MommyLisa!  My children are all grown, but I still tutor, give home school workshops and workshops to teachers at local colleges.  One thing I always tell new home educators is that home school is not the classroom....it is better, much better.  More on that in a minute.

The first thing to research is your State laws, because each is different.  Home School Associations are a great free resource for that, and they also help you connect with other home educators near you for support, field trips, co-ops and more. 

How To Home School  Is an article that will help you connect with your Home School State Association (State Laws and more), understand the different methods used by home educators (home school is not the classroom), understand your children's different learning styles (saves you money on wasted curriculum), testing resources (some states require this), grade level requirements, curriculum resources, and more.'

I am so glad you are enjoying being a home educator.  Congratulations.

oredeb
by debbie on Mar. 30, 2012 at 3:57 PM

welcome mommylisa!!

looks like you have from now till school starts up in sept to check out what hsing is all about, check out curriculum, etc!

right now you can watch how your older daughter learns, what she likes to learn about, her weaknesses her strongpoints, get familar with the differnt types of curriculum or non curriculum ways of teaching,  you can homeschool however you want to, no one way is the best, choose what suits your kids and you best. some kids learn by hearing some by seeing and some by hands on, but most are a mixture of all those. you dont have to follow how the public school does it, you can start any time of the year, take off any time of the year or dont take any time off,  make sure you know your homeschool law and go for it!  talk to other hs moms around you, join a hs group, talk to us! heres a site that will explain things a bit more, answer some questions etc! http://www.homeschooldiner.com/guide/intro/galaxy.html

debbie

MedicMommy2
by on Mar. 30, 2012 at 7:57 PM

We homeschool through a university, I realize that is not a popular decision amongst homeschoolers but I NEVER intended to or thought we would homeschool but due to our sons health, mental state, and sanity we pulled him out at christmas to homeschool. Neither myself or my husband stay home full time so we found a university that had a homeschool program we agreed with and that offered us the ability to pick and choose to some extent. They send us EVERYTHING and we mail in a few items out of every sectioin and it is working fantastically. He goes to one of our friends houses when we both happen to be at school and she can just pick up where we left off and our son has the flexability to choose what he wants to do that day. When he is at my friends house she has a 15mth old, my 26mth old, another 17mth old and our 5 year old who is now in first grade. We were told that he was special ed and was not understanding anything....haha...he was bored crazy.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)