Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

To homeschool or not to homeschool, that is the question...

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2012 at 2:34 AM
  • 4 Replies

Hello Moms!

I'm in an interesting situation right now and need a little advice.First off, I've never homeschooled, I'm actually early in the first trimester of my first child. Here is my dilema. Baby will be homeschooled. The area I live in is much too violent to allow my kiddo to go to public schooling, and as we are not a super religious family private school isn't really an option we want. Bf and I have talked about this, and he respects my wishes. So, I have plenty of time to prepare, right? Well, not really. He has 2 children, 8 and 10 from another relationship. Right now we only see the kids every weekend or every other weekend. But that will be changing, soon. I don't know how soon, as life is we are waiting for things to play out and are certain custody will be awarded to us when things finally get rolling. Awesomesauce! As step mother I don't want to see those kiddos in public school either. I currently stay at home, so I have the time I think I'd like to start them homeschooling for the following school year that we get them, so if (fingers crossed) we get them before the end of the summer they would start the next school year with me. I'm a little nervous about it though. Having a baby on the way (due date is early Nov) and being a first time mommie seems like alot. The kids are amazing, and I know they will be very helpful but am I taking on too much? I want the best for them, and I don't think they're getting it. The oldest has been getting into trouble at school for not getting homework/schoolwork done, I think he's bored. They're both very smart. I don't want to short change them by pulling them out of school if it would be too much with a new baby. Anyone else with a growing family similar to mine and able to homeschool? Or anyone with advice? As I said I don't know much about it, but oh it would be wonderful!

by on Mar. 30, 2012 at 2:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Moma3boyz
by on Mar. 30, 2012 at 8:53 AM
I homeschool our step kids. I dont regret it at all. Just be prepared to answer a ton of questions from them. Mine were like why, will I ever see my friends and stuff like that. Also I font know how it is where you live, but here the birth mother still had the right to see the educational records just like she would be able to at a public school. She is the non-custodial parent and had been since the divorce. Even when they revoked her visitation she could still see the records. So keep plenty of records, notes, samples of work. Having all that helped us when we went back to court. The judge asked about school and I had all the records for him and he added to our record we were homeschooling and she couldn't say she didn't know later and try to make us stop.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2012 at 10:22 AM

I would.  It would be a great family bonding time also.  Plus the kids will not be abtaining any new attitudes from school.  My DH and I have a blended family.  We were both widowed yrs ago and formed our own "Yours, Mine and Ours".  LOL   We have 15 (all home educated) children.  We were both already home educators so when we married I just took on my new kids also.  All of ours have now graduted except for our youngest. She is 14 now.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2012 at 10:34 AM

The thing I would worry about is that the kids would resent all the change. First, they change homes, then change school routines, then a new baby while getting settled. I don't think it would be too much for you but it can be a lot for the kids. I broach the subject very carefully with them.

Good luck!

oredeb
by on Mar. 30, 2012 at 11:01 AM

hi westtxmomtobe!!! congratulations on the baby!!

if your gona do it, spend some time with them watching how they learn, what things they like, what happens when you say no to them, only being around them for the weekend will change when you have them full time and homeschooling them like mem said, start looking at how and what your gona teach them, ask lots of questions! join a homeschool group, have them join some outside activities, karate, little league, swimming, etc make sure bf knows whats going on and is there for you all the way, get him involved with the homeschoooling, he needs to be their dad, not just a by stander looking in. he needs to know whats going on when you do homeschool them, any problems so he can address them.  also when you have the baby its gona be a bit harder to get things going, looking after newborn, so have a plan ready, they seem like the will work independently so know what they are gona be doing, (i use a lesson plan) each day, so you can at least tell them what page they are on or what subject is next.  otherwise have fun!!!! help them enjoy learning! you can do it anyway you want, you dont have to follow the public school way!

debbie

debbie

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)