Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you know what will affect more kids this year than AIDS, diabetes, and cancer combined?

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2012 at 1:29 PM
Amy
  • 9 Replies

The answer is Autism. Did you know April is Autism Awareness Month?

According to autismspeaks.org, autism affects 1 in every 88 children (1 in 54 boys), and more children will be diagnosed with autism this year than with AIDS, diabetes, and cancer combined.

Learn more about Autism, get answers to your questions, and see how you can help spread awareness in CafeMom’s Autism: Support Across the Spectrum group! April is a perfect time to join! You’ll find an amazing group of women full of advice, information, friendship, and support. Plus, we’re running contests all month long, and you could win!

by on Mar. 30, 2012 at 1:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
oredeb
by on Mar. 30, 2012 at 2:40 PM

is there a cause? why do some kids have autism and others dont? how come we are more aware of it now days then back in the 70s, 80s??

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 30, 2012 at 4:14 PM

The CDC said in a report yesterday that 1 in 88 children have autism in 2008 and that the numbers have only increased since then.  I also saw a report that said there is about 1 million children in the US. Those numbers are extremely high, if you ask me. CDC also said that the autism is caused by the environment more than any other cause.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Diagnostics are better than they were 50 years ago. I know I've heard older relatives speak of a kid they knew as children and say things like, "He was a little weird," or "He wasn't quiet right." People just left it at that as long as the child functioned 'okay'.

Koltie3
by on Mar. 30, 2012 at 8:26 PM
1 mom liked this
Genetics set the child up but the environment pulls the trigger. In the 70 s children received maybe 10 vaccines. Today the average kindergardener receives 36. The first shot your baby receives in the hospital is hep b which is sexually transmitted. If the mother is not positive there is no need to vaccinate the child. However it's cheaper to vaccinate all babies than to test their immune system. Until we as parents are educated the numbers will continue to rise. By educated I do not mean by doctors who are profiting from every vaccine they give.
2E-Mommy
by on Mar. 30, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Special Needs World is holding a competition to see who can "Light It Up Blue" in the most unqiue way! The winner receives an Autism Play and Sign Set from Signing Time. To participate, post a photo in the "LIght It Up Blue" group on Special Needs World. The winner will be announced April 7th!

Here is a link...

Vicky1975
by on Mar. 31, 2012 at 12:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Koltie3 is right. There are many factors, but there are also kids whose immune systems are weakend, and they still receive shots. These shots are just too much for their body. If parents knew about all the junk that they put in one shot just so they can store it longer, most parents would refuse to have this pumped into their kids. Then there are toxins in the environment. There are hormones, etc in our food. Unless you live in a vacuum and feed your kids strictly organic they will be exposed to so much junk by the time they turn 3 - it's unbelievable. In the 70's and 80's kids bodies did not have to deal with all this. Yes, many kids went undiagnosed then, but the number still would have been much lower then today, even if they had the same system to diagnose. Parents should go back to the basic vaccines. Give the 10 we received as kids and then pick and chose carefully what else is really needed. Do your homework and know what your child needs in order to be protected.

britniwheeler
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 3:14 PM

I think a lot of people went undiagnosed years back. I know one man, who clearly doesn't understand social norms or personal space. He will talk and talk, no matter how many times you tell him that you need to leave. My husband was always a little awkward socially as well. He is very bright in some areas and significantly struggles in others. He was never diagnosed with Autism, but he now even thinks he should have been. No sense in it now though. The school district diagnosed our son with Autism. He met almost every single guideline to a T, even when they were only supposed to meet 2-3 in each category. I think that a lot of things play a part in why it is so common today. Environmental factors, heredity, dietary factors, vaccinations (I know it is debated, but since when is putting dangerous chemicals in our bodies ever been seen as a good thing?). I think it is a good thing for some one who needs help to get a diagnosis, so that other will help them and take them seriously. No one would help my son until he entered school. Then they were like "ya, this is a big issue". It has been a frustrating journey for us, if you can't tell. All because people are too worried to hand out diagnosis, because of the numbers.

wright1212
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 8:39 PM

OK after years of research with my son having low functioning autism I have come to see more into how its formed. I believe there are 3 basic areas to cause autism 1.genetics/birth defects 2. environment (food, allergies, shots) 3. health conditions (MR, epilepsy, ect). So for an example, my son is prone to 100+ seizures a day, I beleive his brain being on 'pause' during seizures alot of the day and sleeping after during the critical 1-4yrs of brain growth lead to the major components representing autism.

Just as there is no one cause, there is not one treatment. OT and speech are common demoninators, but only some need PT, ABA, aquatic, animal, and even social interventions. MANY kids are now dx with aspergers and need totally different things than someone like my lower functioning child. If you really want to discuss autism news, just wait until the new DSM-5 criteria come out. ALOT of questions will be raised: is my child still on autism spectrum? if not and they get therapy, do they no longer get it? how will schools decide who needs help if they are the required 1.5 standard deviations below level? how will this affect the current 1 in 88 numbers put out by the CDC? where will pdd-nos fall? what is the official cut off age for pdd-nos? (the nos, not otherwise specified is only supposed to be until a more clean picture can be determined often around age 6-10.   **for real answers if you are an ASD parent go to the IAN group and participate!!**

EvilQueenMommy
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 7:38 PM

bump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN