Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I think we have made a mistake.........

Posted by on Mar. 31, 2012 at 11:45 PM
  • 25 Replies

As some of you know we pulled our 5 year old out of kinder at christmas break due to the school being totally incompetent. Well we decided to go through one of the University homeschool programs because neither myself or my husband stay home full time or intend to. We LOVE the program and the curric, and like that it is easy for us to switch off who does what day because the lesson plans are already made for us.

Even with us being so laid back and taking days off here and there or only doing one subject some days he finished in 2 months. So now I have a 5 year old first grader. We figured if we spend 8months per grade and that would be taking it at his pace now he will be an 11 year old freshman in highschool and graduate at 14. There is no way in hell I am letting my 14 year old go to college, I went at 16 and was totally not ready.

What can we do after he has completed his required classes?

Can he do online classes until he is older?

He has a VERY high IQ and is VERY intellegent but he still acts very much his age. I do not want to send a child to an adult environment where he is not socially ready even if he is more than academically ready.

Maybe I am freaking myself out....I can't decide.

any advice?

by on Mar. 31, 2012 at 11:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TexasKaty
by on Mar. 31, 2012 at 11:50 PM
3 moms liked this
Fill in the time with enrichment lessons and activities... or new hobbies. It doesn't sound like you made a mistake. :)

I went off to college at 16, too...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2E-Mommy
by on Apr. 1, 2012 at 2:35 AM
3 moms liked this

I totally understand and my first piece of advice is to take a deep breath. I have two daughters who are both PG and fly through material, so I know how alarming and confusing it can be to know how to give them what they need. My oldest started college at 14 and is loving it. I believe things are a lot different now than when you or I were in college. My oldest takes most of her courses through the distance option, making it very similar to our usual homeschool day. My youngest is following her sister's pace and will probably be starting college about the same time as her sister did. I think if you can utilize a commutable school or one with a distance option it can really work without a lot of stress.

I guess what I am getting at is that whether he will be ready for college or not at 14 will depend on many different factors, and his experience will probably be much different because he is being homeschooled and is going to have a different early educational experience. I think this can effect how ready a child feels about higher learning later.

For now though, I would just follow your child's lead. He will probably not be aware that he is outpacing other kids until later, and meeting him where he is at will satisfy his thirst for learning, IMO.

MedicMommy2
by on Apr. 1, 2012 at 3:00 AM

Haha I was homeschooled also, and it was not that long ago (less than 10 years) that I started college...and I am just now finishing. He is VERY aware that his peers are not on level with him and that is one reason ps didn't work out so well.

Thank yall for responding, I am sure it will all work out....somehow....if he does not off me by then.

sreichelt26
by on Apr. 1, 2012 at 3:05 AM
3 moms liked this
I think it actually proves you did the right thing. Imagine how bored he'd be with the pace of regular school, which often leads to behavioral issues.

I'd find hobbies, sports, or other activities to fill extra time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Apr. 1, 2012 at 8:02 AM
3 moms liked this

Slow down. You are moving way too quickly. Lol.

Just because he found kindergarten easy and has a high IQ, does NOT mean he won't be challenged by some subject in school eventually; nor does it mean schools will agree to accelerate (if he ever goes back).

You have a few years - relax :)

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosey, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that my place, as a woman, is in the home caring for my husband and children. My husband is head of our home.             Aimee

StrictMomof2
by on Apr. 1, 2012 at 8:47 AM

Question, Would you consider putting him in online college courses?? I'm guessing that you don't want him to go to the college environment going off your post. If I'm wrong, then I really don't know what to suggest. My husband goes to IDAT out of Florida online and I used Devry University online, and both have been great colleges. I've also heard wonderful things about University of Phoenix.

typingCome check out my blog at http://www.tidbitsofexperience.com/. I'd love to have your feedback there.  Also it lets you know more about me and my family. Hope your having a great day.

MedicMommy2
by on Apr. 1, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Well he wont be going back to public school because they wont put him in his actual grade because of his age so that is just out of the question from the get go. I would be very uncomfy letting him go to anything but an actual University. I am not so sure about these for profit colleges.

rsrangel
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2012 at 10:19 AM
I think it might be to soon to judge that. At some point he may slow down as things get more difficult, and if not then just go with the flow. Let him go at his own pace - if he gets ahead great, if he gets behind fine, or if he needs a break fine too. I'd agree with a previous poster on letting him take up hobbies, enrichment activities, etc.

On a seperate note - you work full time? Just curious because I will be in the same boat in a few months....except I have 4 that I'm homeschooling. Where does he go when you work?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Arnlnsmommy
by on Apr. 1, 2012 at 10:26 AM
1 mom liked this
A lot of universities offer online classes, so he could enroll in an actual university but take his classes online, it's sometimes possible to do your whole degree without taking one class on campus.

Quoting MedicMommy2:

Well he wont be going back to public school because they wont put him in his actual grade because of his age so that is just out of the question from the get go. I would be very uncomfy letting him go to anything but an actual University. I am not so sure about these for profit colleges.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Arnlnsmommy
by on Apr. 1, 2012 at 10:29 AM
What program are you using? I'm still researching curriculums
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)