Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I think we have made a mistake.........

Posted by   + Show Post

As some of you know we pulled our 5 year old out of kinder at christmas break due to the school being totally incompetent. Well we decided to go through one of the University homeschool programs because neither myself or my husband stay home full time or intend to. We LOVE the program and the curric, and like that it is easy for us to switch off who does what day because the lesson plans are already made for us.

Even with us being so laid back and taking days off here and there or only doing one subject some days he finished in 2 months. So now I have a 5 year old first grader. We figured if we spend 8months per grade and that would be taking it at his pace now he will be an 11 year old freshman in highschool and graduate at 14. There is no way in hell I am letting my 14 year old go to college, I went at 16 and was totally not ready.

What can we do after he has completed his required classes?

Can he do online classes until he is older?

He has a VERY high IQ and is VERY intellegent but he still acts very much his age. I do not want to send a child to an adult environment where he is not socially ready even if he is more than academically ready.

Maybe I am freaking myself out....I can't decide.

any advice?

by on Mar. 31, 2012 at 11:45 PM
Replies (21-25):
MedicMommy2
by on Apr. 2, 2012 at 8:38 PM

He currently has Karate, ballet, jazz and tap dance, he is in 4H, and he has friends at the childrens hospital because he is a frequent flyer there. I know its a ways away but I guess I am just stressed that what I do now is going to doom him later.

MedicMommy2
by on Apr. 2, 2012 at 8:39 PM

All of ya'll have great advice and make total sense. I know I am worrying about it but I think it was just a holy shit I might be fucking my kid up moment courtesy of my oh so loving family.

by on Apr. 2, 2012 at 11:23 PM

I guess I look at it differently. They are in the grade they are in for an academic year period. They don't advance to the next grade just because they finished a workbook or whatever.  We don't just cover the curriculum. We look for other things to do and just consider it that we are learning in kindergarten this year. Let's see what all we can learn.

We do not look at it like this needs to be covered, and then you're done. I think that kind of doesn't take us to the goal I want. I want the goal to be loving the adventure of learning and not checking off a checklist.

I was out of college before I truly understood we were in school to maybe learn something and enjoy it. I always did very well in school and treated it like a checklist. Therefore, I didn't really get the fun out of school and being truly interested in something and seeking out more information. If it wasn't on the test that I would usually get 100 on, why bother? School was just what we did, not to be either hated or enjoyed really.

I found a great website with fun enrichment projects. Maybe you'll find something here that he would like:

http://www.mrsgoldsclass.com/Enrichment%20Project%20Ideas.htm

http://www.mrsgoldsclass.com/ReadingProjects.htm

Both of my kids are ahead, but I have no intention of sending them to college early. They may take some community college classes early, but just like the dual-credit courses in high school, my kids will still be in high school.

MedicMommy2
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Well seeing as he is in a distance education program he does move to the next grade once he does the work. That I cannot control. I do not have the time or patience to make my own curric, and I totally love and agree with the curric we have now. But I will look at those sites and see what appeals to us.

by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 1:09 AM

You don't have to change your curriculum at all. It just sounds like you may need to supplement more to give him what he truly needs. I would talk to the people at the distance education program as well. They have probably run into this several times before and may have a great solution for you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)