Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Need Help with my 8 year old

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2012 at 9:59 AM
  • 16 Replies

This is a first year homeschooling, after doing public school, so it has been a learning curve for all of us. Everything went smoothly until Christmas break, (we are using Connections Academy) then Jan 16th, my husband had hip surgery, so school kind of got pushed aside for a little bit, and then just as we were getting back into the groove of things, we moved. Like just last week moved. lol The problem is my 8 year old. He acts like he is so miserable. He gets up in the mornings ready to do school, once school is done, he is begging for more school. So I may print out a couple of worksheets, or tell him that the school lessons are over to go outside and play. He goes outside then comes in 10 mins later complaining of something, then he wants to draw, he wants to read, he wants to watch tv. So I let him do all of the above, then 10 mins later, he is bored to tears. He wants to help me do stuff, but its usually stuff that I don't want him doing at this moment. (washing dishes or helping with dinner). He has his own bedroom, with a tv, a brand new bike and yet he isn't happy.
I don't know what to do for him. Oh a  little more info, he is very mature for his age and takes on the stresses of us adults more than he should. He knows that Daddy can't work, and Mama is busting her @$$ looking for a job, and just can't find one. He also knows that money is tight and I know he wants things (like a new pair of shoes), but its just not feasible for us to do right now. And I try to explain these things to him and he says he understands and I know he does, but then he sits and worries himself over them. He has even told me that its not fair that I do all the work in the house right and that he wants to help out. Which was extremely sweet and considerate, but when I try to tell him that certain things are left for the grown ups to do and the best way to help me and to be a kid and go play, he gets mad at me.
He is my oldest and I am at a lost as to how to help him. I need some insight and help here, because everyone else I talk to tells me to just put him back in public school, and I know that is something that I don't want to do at this moment.

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
by on Apr. 1, 2012 at 9:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 1, 2012 at 11:02 AM
Let him help! He can wash dishes, fold laundry, sweep the floor, vacume, dust, wash windows & you should let him help cook! All of those things he needs to learn to do for himself one day! The things are only for grown ups to do because you say so, lots of kids his age do all that & more! So let him help it will make him feel better & take some stress off of you!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kittyfaery
by on Apr. 1, 2012 at 11:12 AM
I agree with the pp. When I was 8 I would be responsible for cleaning a whole room every day, like the kitchen or living room. I am not saying to go that far, I don't have set chores for my 8 year old. It might help him feel he is contributing though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 1, 2012 at 11:24 AM

I say, let him help, even if you have to go back and fix it. Also, I would give him a large report to work on and set a deadline for it. Say, I report on dinosaurs or something, complete with a craft made from recycled stuff around the house. It will expand his mind and also keep him a little more busy.

Arnlnsmommy
by on Apr. 1, 2012 at 1:15 PM
I agree! Let him. Help, he's old enough to do the dishes, I was doing them at 8. He could sweep/Vaccumn, laundry like others have said.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SuprMom12042702
by on Apr. 1, 2012 at 8:58 PM

My biggest problem is the cooking, I'm still worried about him getting hurt. Otherwise, he does help. He has a chore list he does every day, he helps out with the younger kids when he wants. Its just that he gets so bored and I don't know how to help him.

littleacorn
by on Apr. 1, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Soumds like he needs friends.

DeniseGibson
by on Apr. 1, 2012 at 9:00 PM
I agree

SuprMom12042702
by on Apr. 1, 2012 at 9:02 PM

I agree, friends would help, but there aren't many homeschooled kids in our area. He does have karate class on wednesday nights, but its a small little town, without resources

wonder3
by on Apr. 1, 2012 at 10:11 PM
Sounds like he needs to be in school. His mind needs to be kept busy and stimulated. If you can't do that at home, leave it to those that are in education. Don't hold him back, thats the worst thing you can do, sounds like he's a smart kid!
usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 1, 2012 at 11:58 PM
2 moms liked this

This group is for homeschoolers that want to help & be helped with support & advise! Telling a Mom to put her kid in school as a solution to a problem is not supportive or helpful!

Quoting wonder3:

Sounds like he needs to be in school. His mind needs to be kept busy and stimulated. If you can't do that at home, leave it to those that are in education. Don't hold him back, thats the worst thing you can do, sounds like he's a smart kid!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN