Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

This is a first year homeschooling, after doing public school, so it has been a learning curve for all of us. Everything went smoothly until Christmas break, (we are using Connections Academy) then Jan 16th, my husband had hip surgery, so school kind of got pushed aside for a little bit, and then just as we were getting back into the groove of things, we moved. Like just last week moved. lol The problem is my 8 year old. He acts like he is so miserable. He gets up in the mornings ready to do school, once school is done, he is begging for more school. So I may print out a couple of worksheets, or tell him that the school lessons are over to go outside and play. He goes outside then comes in 10 mins later complaining of something, then he wants to draw, he wants to read, he wants to watch tv. So I let him do all of the above, then 10 mins later, he is bored to tears. He wants to help me do stuff, but its usually stuff that I don't want him doing at this moment. (washing dishes or helping with dinner). He has his own bedroom, with a tv, a brand new bike and yet he isn't happy.
I don't know what to do for him. Oh a  little more info, he is very mature for his age and takes on the stresses of us adults more than he should. He knows that Daddy can't work, and Mama is busting her @$$ looking for a job, and just can't find one. He also knows that money is tight and I know he wants things (like a new pair of shoes), but its just not feasible for us to do right now. And I try to explain these things to him and he says he understands and I know he does, but then he sits and worries himself over them. He has even told me that its not fair that I do all the work in the house right and that he wants to help out. Which was extremely sweet and considerate, but when I try to tell him that certain things are left for the grown ups to do and the best way to help me and to be a kid and go play, he gets mad at me.
He is my oldest and I am at a lost as to how to help him. I need some insight and help here, because everyone else I talk to tells me to just put him back in public school, and I know that is something that I don't want to do at this moment.

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
by on Apr. 1, 2012 at 9:59 AM
Replies (11-16):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Apr. 2, 2012 at 7:53 AM
My kids measure, pour, stir, etc. I dont let them use anything hot yet (6.5 years and almost 3). I also let the older one make lunch start to finish. Bread, mayo, lettuce, cheese, lunchmeat, cut it in half. (or pb&j, whatever we are having that day).
By 8, I did a lot of cleaning and basic cooking. One thing I didn't learn until I was older was laundry, but that could be something he could do too!
My daughter always acts like I need to entertain her and tell her what to do. So I have a closet of craft and art supplies, with games, puzzles, and manipulatives in there. She can always do anything in there.
Also, I had her make a list with me of things she could do during quiet time (which is our "what can I doooooooooo" time) so she can always look to see what things she can do.

Quoting SuprMom12042702:

My biggest problem is the cooking, I'm still worried about him getting hurt. Otherwise, he does help. He has a chore list he does every day, he helps out with the younger kids when he wants. Its just that he gets so bored and I don't know how to help him.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kirbymom
by Sonja on Apr. 2, 2012 at 2:48 PM

I agree with everyone saying let him help.  He is bored and sad.  And he probably misses his old place.  Does he have any friends from the old neighborhood that he can call and talk to, even for just a few minutes?

Do either you or your husband know anything about building  toy cars? or adding on to them?  Does he like to write?  Do you know how to do string math?  In your head?   My kids loved doing this when they were young.  Also, if he likes doing school worksheets, then but a few work books from your local,  walmart, big lots, dollar store, etc.  Then, let him choose which book he would like to work in.  Is he able to be on a computer?  Maybe he could play the spider solitaire game or the free cell game just to keep his mind fresh with making decisions and also keeping his brain active.  If you would like more ideas, I could keep going. I have seven kids and have moved several times, so I am fully up on the boredom thing.  :)   I can empathise.  And do.   

My kids think they need to be doing something every minute of the day. If they even sit for a few seconds, they feel like the world is crashing in on them. lol    

oredeb
by on Apr. 2, 2012 at 3:18 PM

maybe he needs a list of chores for each day, so he can feel like hes helping out,

how bout starting him on some hobbies to take up his time?

maybe he could start a garden? research it or give him ideas to research,

SuprMom12042702
by on Apr. 2, 2012 at 4:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks ya'll. I plan on taking all the suggestions to heart, discuss stuff with my husband and then put a plan into action to help him overcome his boredom. I know these past couple of months have been hard on him (as it has for the rest of us). I will be talking to him about everything and I guess loosen up some of the rules I have, because he is getting older.
He does have a list of chores, but its broken down into an morning chore and an afternoon chore, I am thinking about redoing also.
Thank ya'll so much!

lucsch
by on Apr. 2, 2012 at 4:38 PM

It sounds like the move and other changes in your family life have had its effect on him. He needs to have "control" over something in his life. We all go a little crazy if we feel we are out of control of everything. I agree with others to keep him busy with chores, a special research project, or something to keep his mind and hands busy and off the family issues he cannot and should not control.

My dd9 loves to read library books, play games on the computer, call her friends, write song lyrics, draw pictures, dance to the WII dance games, and write stories. She does like to interact with us, like play board games or cooking. However, she does not need me to entertain her every hour of the day. She is the youngest child and only homeschooled child, but she is HAPPY. Kids enjoy playing with other kids, but it is not a necessity on a daily basis. I think this is a misnomer about socialization that public schools reinforce.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 2, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Good luck! Sometimes, you just have to push through a rough year. 8)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN