Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Need Some Help with Math for My 1st Grader!

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2012 at 11:20 AM
  • 15 Replies

We struggle with math quite a bit. She can do addition and subtraction. She can count by 2's, 5's and 10's. She just got the hang of 1 more and 1 less...until we introduced 10 more and 10 less (for the 3rd time this year). She doesn't get it at all and if I try to go back to 1 more and 1 less she suddenly doesn't remember how to do that either. I'm at a loss. 

Any tips?

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

(Sarah Robinson). Get yours at bighugelabs.com
by on Apr. 1, 2012 at 11:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lynette
by Member on Apr. 1, 2012 at 11:27 AM

The bk Games for Math by Peggy Kaye could help.  As for curriculum that makes this topic really clear we love Math U See.

Oh and a fun game would be Shut the Box or Double Shutter(look them up on amazon)

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 1, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Wait, I'm not familiar with the one more/ten more terms. 8) Can you explain what it is? I am recovering from a head cold so my brain is fuzzy. LOL

roxysmommy
by on Apr. 1, 2012 at 11:41 AM

So the work book will ask her a question like, "What is 10 more than 37?" or "What is 10 less than 23?" Basically adding and subtraction by 10, but it would like them to do it without counting, by adding or subtracting 1 from the 10's place.

Quoting mem82:

Wait, I'm not familiar with the one more/ten more terms. 8) Can you explain what it is? I am recovering from a head cold so my brain is fuzzy. LOL

roxysmommy
by on Apr. 1, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Thank you for the games! We'll definatley look into those!

Would it be so bad if we skipped this concept for now? It seems like a more complicated way of doing #+10=#

Quoting Lynette:

The bk Games for Math by Peggy Kaye could help.  As for curriculum that makes this topic really clear we love Math U See.

Oh and a fun game would be Shut the Box or Double Shutter(look them up on amazon)

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 1, 2012 at 11:47 AM
1 mom liked this

Aw, I see. My son, also 1st grade, has trouble with that. I put it aside for a while and went on to measurements. According to everything I've seen, test content wise, they don't need it for first grade.

usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 1, 2012 at 1:47 PM
2 moms liked this

Use manipulative's to help her get it! Some times they need to see it, so get some blocks, M&M's, toys or anything you can get enough of to give her a visual of it!

usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 1, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Numbers are abstract to kids & have no true meaning at that age so you need to give the numbers meaning by using objects!

roxysmommy
by on Apr. 1, 2012 at 2:26 PM

I use objects with her and it still only seems to work if I'm leading her through it. When asked to do it on her own she still isn't sure of what to do. I try to explain that it's just like subtracting but that just confuses her more. She still doesn't 100% understand that less than means to subtract.

Quoting usmom3:

Numbers are abstract to kids & have no true meaning at that age so you need to give the numbers meaning by using objects!

usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 1, 2012 at 2:33 PM

I would just use the word subtract for now! That less than termanology confuses a lot of people not just little kids! If you don't have to do state testing then it really isn't going to matter until she is in high school if she understands the wording & by then she should get it better!

Quoting roxysmommy:

I use objects with her and it still only seems to work if I'm leading her through it. When asked to do it on her own she still isn't sure of what to do. I try to explain that it's just like subtracting but that just confuses her more. She still doesn't 100% understand that less than means to subtract.

Quoting usmom3:

Pinned Image

kirbymom
by Sonja on Apr. 1, 2012 at 4:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I went through this at the beginning of the year with my 8 yr old and she just couldn't  get it either.  So, we stoped trying to get her to "get" it.  A few months later, we tried it again and she started to pick up the concept much better. Now she has no problem with it. 

Sometimes a child's mind just isn't ready for something no matter how advanced they are in everything else. And pushing it on them doesn't work either.  Waiting and coming back to it at a later date seems to work better for us. Maybe it will work for you too.  :)  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)