Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Need Some Help with Math for My 1st Grader!

Posted by   + Show Post

We struggle with math quite a bit. She can do addition and subtraction. She can count by 2's, 5's and 10's. She just got the hang of 1 more and 1 less...until we introduced 10 more and 10 less (for the 3rd time this year). She doesn't get it at all and if I try to go back to 1 more and 1 less she suddenly doesn't remember how to do that either. I'm at a loss. 

Any tips?

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

(Sarah Robinson). Get yours at bighugelabs.com
by on Apr. 1, 2012 at 11:20 AM
Replies (11-15):
TeriSkis
by on Apr. 1, 2012 at 6:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Here are many free educational resources.

Also, this may help: Game 1- you could tell the child the second/last number will always stay the same when you add 10. Game 2- this game is not visually appealing, but is on topic.

Multiples of 10.

10 more/less, 1 less/more instruction video. Here is the same number chart used in the video.

Online emanipulatives from the same place the number chart comes from. (Click 'grade1' at the bottom to go to more 1st grade math enrichment activities.)

lucsch
by on Apr. 2, 2012 at 1:47 PM

We used R&S 1 with cute little finger puppet ducks for manipulatives (the curriculum specifies flannel board ducks).

oredeb
by on Apr. 2, 2012 at 1:59 PM

some great advice! let us know what works!

roxysmommy
by on Apr. 2, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Thanks ladies! My dad is a math teacher and I finally got my daughter to see him and have him 'evaluate' her and he suggested that we get her counting backwards fluidly and start again. He says she's missing that 'block' in her mathematics foundation. So it looks like we will be holding off on the concept for a bit here while we get back to the super basics.

Bethsunshine
by on Apr. 2, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Math U See!!! It turns those abstract concepts into concrete ones. I can't recommend it enough!!

Join us in Christian Homeschoolers!!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/3200

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN