Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How do you muster up the patience?

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2012 at 9:19 AM
  • 9 Replies
The past few weeks have been incredibly challenging with my almost 3 year old. Every nap, every night, every meal, every decision is a battle. I'm about to lose my ever loving mind. :)

I'm done, and tired, and in pain and I just want a break, but know that it won't help because it's not going to change anything. Just make me want another break.

So, how do you cope with the wonderful threes, while trying to maintain some sort of patience and grace? My bucket is nearly empty.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 2, 2012 at 9:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Apr. 2, 2012 at 9:26 AM
I should mention the problems.

Defiance (refusing to do what she is told, screaming no, repeatedly doing wrong when she knows)

Screaming (screeching may be a better word)

Hitting (herself, and others - mainly her sister)

Changing her mind (do you want to eat in your chair or at the little table? My chair - put her in chair - nnooooooooooo! I want to sit at the little table! And no, I do not give in)

Bedtime. Oh bedtime and naptime how I love and hate you all at the same time. (I'm scared, I can't find my Elly! I need a drink! I have to go potty! I can't sleep! Sissy is waking me up!) hubby goes in 20 times. I go in once to make sure she is okay, and to let her know I will not be coming back because it is bed time and I need to sleep too. This is the screaming "mommy" at the top of her lungs in the most blood curling scream imaginable.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
5BMom
by on Apr. 2, 2012 at 10:05 AM
Is she secretly calling MY three year old DD at night? Because she is acting the same way! Yesterday she KICKED the Easter Bunny at mall!

I knows its the age...and girls must be worse...because DS was NEVER this way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Apr. 2, 2012 at 10:31 AM
My first daughter was an angel, she never went through the terrible twos. We did have the trying threes, but four was rough for us because that is when we had dd2. Dd2 has been trying since... She was about 4 months old. I'm not kidding.

Quoting 5BMom:

Is she secretly calling MY three year old DD at night? Because she is acting the same way! Yesterday she KICKED the Easter Bunny at mall!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Apr. 2, 2012 at 10:49 AM

could it be shes realizing another baby is on the way?

just some ideas!

what about spending time with her and you only during the day

when shes screaming etc put her in the naughty chair(if you do that sort of thing) needs to be established and not a one or once in a while thing.

is she in any pain? big sister picking on her? is she having bad dreams?

if she doesnt want to eat dont force it,

if you know nothing is wrong when shes screaming try to ignore it at night? maybe she needs a stuffed animal with her or the dog or cat? does she sleep in same room as big sister?

oredeb
by on Apr. 2, 2012 at 10:50 AM

hahahahahahahhahahah kicked the easter bunny!!! i'd a loved seeing that!!!

Quoting 5BMom:

mjp2707
by Member on Apr. 2, 2012 at 10:55 AM
Matty is a bear right now as well. He will be three on Tuesday. My boys respond very well to "homework time" . I take each boy in a room alone and do something special with each of them for 30 mins to a hour. They all look forward to having all my attention. When I feel like I can't take anymore I pack the kids up and head to the park.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bugayfamilyof4
by Member on Apr. 2, 2012 at 10:57 AM

My son is two and is doing all those things !! I hear you about running out of steam with them. Plus my 5 year old is acting crazy too. I have decided to take the week off and recharge. I am burnt out and so are they. Maybe we need to slow down and smell the flowers for a minute. You know what I mean :)

usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 2, 2012 at 11:15 AM

She is trying to have some control over her world! That age is the precursor of the teen years! I suggest picking your battles carefully anything that is harmful to her or others you have to fight except the not eating because she will not let herself starve she will just let you think that she will (trust me on this I have dealt with this before). Anything that is just a bothersum but not harmful let slide! The reason is she wants control of something so let her have a little & she will not feel out of control & act like that! 

Saraho5
by on Apr. 2, 2012 at 11:42 AM
I think maybe picking & choosing the battles will help. Especially with a new baby coming, homeschooling, & eVeryThinG else on your plate, just helps to let some things slide.

I find if I'm a lot less neurotic about the small things, everyone is just happier!

If possible,
see if there is a time where just the two of you can spend time alone & she has your full attention. Even if it's only 20 minutes. This helps a lot when my 3 year old is acting out. :)

You may not want to do this, but there are times when I lay with my kids until they fall asleep. *gasp* I know my pediatrician would frown on this, but they are only little for so
long.

You got a lot going on! It'll get better!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)