Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

A week for a unit?

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2012 at 2:41 PM
  • 7 Replies

For those of you that do units- how long do you think is best to spend on a unit concept?  This summer, I'd like to do some 'lighter' school work, and am thinking of taking one unit for each week- do a field trip at the end of the week to wrap it up.  Is a week enough to cover the topic?

by on Apr. 2, 2012 at 2:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
oredeb
by on Apr. 2, 2012 at 3:11 PM

unit studies are the funnest! how old is your child? what i do is for the younger kids a week is a good amount of time, for the older kids we take 2 weeks or more, some of mine are on going also,

gacgbaker
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2012 at 5:02 AM

Quoting oredeb:

unit studies are the funnest! how old is your child? what i do is for the younger kids a week is a good amount of time, for the older kids we take 2 weeks or more, some of mine are on going also,

I have a 9 year old (will be 10 next month) and then a 6 year old- so they are on the younger side.  Thanks!

JenTurn
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 5:21 AM

We do units for lighter schooling in the summer, too. I like Amanda Bennett because I'm not brave enough to create a unit on my own. Depends on what you're studying. A one person subject like Bach could work in a week. My daughter (9) is studying horses for the month, and my son (10) is studying dogs.

gacgbaker
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2012 at 5:52 AM

Quoting JenTurn:

We do units for lighter schooling in the summer, too. I like Amanda Bennett because I'm not brave enough to create a unit on my own. Depends on what you're studying. A one person subject like Bach could work in a week. My daughter (9) is studying horses for the month, and my son (10) is studying dogs.

I've never heard of Amanda Bennett- I'll have to check that out- thanks!

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 3, 2012 at 8:09 AM
1 mom liked this
It depends on the topic. Something like Oceans took us a whole summer. Something like volcanos took only 1 week.
fortressmom
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 8:36 AM

I second Amanda Bennett.  Her stuff is fantastic and she has some studies that are only meant to take a week and others meant to take a month.  Broken into age levels so you can use them multiple times, so BONUS, more for your money:)

gacgbaker
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Quoting fortressmom:

I second Amanda Bennett.  Her stuff is fantastic and she has some studies that are only meant to take a week and others meant to take a month.  Broken into age levels so you can use them multiple times, so BONUS, more for your money:)

Good to know- thanks!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)