Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Recess Time ...Do You or Don't You

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2012 at 7:27 PM
  • 21 Replies

How important is recess?  Do you give your child(ren) recess(free time) to play?  or   Do you have a set time for school and then playwhen school is done? 

by on Apr. 2, 2012 at 7:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 2, 2012 at 7:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Play is a need for all people not just kids! So free time to play is a high priority in our house!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Apr. 2, 2012 at 7:46 PM

I know what you mean.  How often do you do playtime, if I may ask?

Quoting usmom3:

Play is a need for all people not just kids! So free time to play is a high priority in our house!

usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 2, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Everyday! As long as they are playing nicely I will let them play all day & only interrupt them if we have to go somewhere! We unschool by the way so there is no "school time" restraints for them!

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting usmom3:

Pinned Image

Bethsunshine
by on Apr. 2, 2012 at 8:20 PM
1 mom liked this

My children play every day, and not at a scheduled time. If I wanted them on a strict schedule, telling them they are only allowed to play when I deem they can, I'd send them to school.

Join us in Christian Homeschoolers!!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/3200

kirbymom
by Sonja on Apr. 2, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Okay.   :)  Would you mind explaing to me how it is to , un-school? I have heard of it but am not too sure what it means. 

Quoting usmom3:

Everyday! As long as they are playing nicely I will let them play all day & only interrupt them if we have to go somewhere! We unschool by the way so there is no "school time" restraints for them!

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting usmom3:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Apr. 2, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Oh wow! I love your picture. May I borrow it?  :)

Quoting Bethsunshine:

My children play every day, and not at a scheduled time. If I wanted them on a strict schedule, telling them they are only allowed to play when I deem they can, I'd send them to school.

Bethsunshine
by on Apr. 2, 2012 at 8:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting kirbymom:

Oh wow! I love your picture. May I borrow it?  :)

Quoting Bethsunshine:

Of course!!

Join us in Christian Homeschoolers!!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/3200

usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 2, 2012 at 8:56 PM

The definition of unschooling is as different for each person as their fingerprints!

For our family it is to let our children lead us to what interest them. I spend a lot of my time searching for things that might interest them, I read to them & watch educational shows with them & if any interest is sparked we takeit as far as they want to go & no further! They are encouraged to ask questions & be inquisitiveabout things! We involve them in all that we do be it cooking, cleaning, working on our house or cars! Our children lean through living & natural curiosity!

Here is a good site to read others definition of it

http://sandradodd.com/unschool/definition.html

Quoting kirbymom:

Okay.   :)  Would you mind explaing to me how it is to , un-school? I have heard of it but am not too sure what it means. 

Quoting usmom3:

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting usmom3:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Apr. 2, 2012 at 9:11 PM

This makes much more sense that what I have been told. And I have looked up that website too. I just love the first statement.....

[To the frequently voiced complaint that the word "unschooling" seems negative, this was written years ago and has not been bested:]

"Lots of people make this point, but I never see the negation as negative in a value-judgment sense when I use the word--to me unschooling is as positive as unchaining, unbinding, unleashing, unfolding, unfurling, unlimiting....

"All mean freedom and growth and vast possibilities to me."

Suzanne Carter

This is such an awesome way to put this.  Thanks for sharing it with me.  I guess I do a little bit of un-schooling as well.   :)

Quoting usmom3:

The definition of unschooling is as different for each person as their fingerprints!

For our family it is to let our children lead us to what interest them. I spend a lot of my time searching for things that might interest them, I read to them & watch educational shows with them & if any interest is sparked we takeit as far as they want to go & no further! They are encouraged to ask questions & be inquisitiveabout things! We involve them in all that we do be it cooking, cleaning, working on our house or cars! Our children lean through living & natural curiosity!

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting usmom3:

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting usmom3:

usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 2, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Your welcome!

Quoting kirbymom:

This makes much more sense that what I have been told. And I have looked up that website too. I just love the first statement.....

[To the frequently voiced complaint that the word "unschooling" seems negative, this was written years ago and has not been bested:]

"Lots of people make this point, but I never see the negation as negative in a value-judgment sense when I use the word--to me unschooling is as positive as unchaining, unbinding, unleashing, unfolding, unfurling, unlimiting....

"All mean freedom and growth and vast possibilities to me."

Suzanne Carter

This is such an awesome way to put this.  Thanks for sharing it with me.  I guess I do a little bit of un-schooling as well.   :)

Quoting usmom3:

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting usmom3:

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting usmom3:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN