Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Recess Time ...Do You or Don't You

Posted by   + Show Post

How important is recess?  Do you give your child(ren) recess(free time) to play?  or   Do you have a set time for school and then playwhen school is done? 

by on Apr. 2, 2012 at 7:27 PM
Replies (21-21):
kokyuhomama
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 9:29 AM

I wanted to add a little more about what we did with our older son, mainly because initially  I don't feel I answered your question based on our experience, but more in terms of philosophy.  My apologies for overlooking that. .  First, I would emphasize that we are eclectic homeschoolers with an emphasis on child led learning.    However, we chose an approach that would easily allow him to enter public school on the off chance that something could happen in our lives beyond our control, where we would need public school as a support.  So, we did have some planned core subjects - mathematics, reading, spelling.   These were subjects that were a part of his daily life 4-5 days per week.  We chose to do something I refer to as "learning chunks" of time, where we would, for example, begin with one subject in the morning, then enjoy free time, then one subject in the afternoon, then free time, then one in the early evening.  We used his interest in science to create our own spelling program, along with a great program called Explode the Code.   Science was mostly child led, and we would put together experiements based on his interest, like maybe one day he'd really be into rocketships.  My son was very active, so learning chunks worked best for us.   Total time in planned academic work for him was usually no more than 20 minutes or so per subject, so probably no more than an hour per day in the early childhood realm.  It may have been more depending on how much time we took in the science realm on any given day though.   I hope this was more specific to your question. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN