Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Another Question..

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2012 at 7:58 PM
  • 21 Replies

I know I have been asking a lot lately!

As you know I am new to homeschooling. My daughter has been in 3 day a week, 3 hour a day preschool since September (first time she has ever been away from me). I have been wanting to pull her out for awhile now, the more i researched homeschooling, but I just made the decision to actually do it. Her father is off on Mondays, so she has been staying home then and really only going 2 days a week. We just decided it was unneccesary and expensive.

She usually complains about going, but I know that she will miss her friends there. I feel guilty that she won't be able to say goodbye to them, but since this is a new month she can't go tomorrow without paying for the whole month.

Do you have any advice with how to help her cope? I am thinking she will be fine since she usually complains about having to go. She won't miss the school or teacher part, but she will miss the social aspect. I don't have any mommy friends with girls her age, so I feel a bit guilty taking her away from her friends.

I am hoping that the second I finish my internship (April 20th) and I'm home every day, we can make park and beach visits even more frequent than they are now, and we can meet some new friends.

I just can't help but over analyze, I am a worrywart.

Thank you in advance for any advice! 

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

by on Apr. 2, 2012 at 7:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 2, 2012 at 8:05 PM

I would find some play date groups or homeschool groups that have park days or co op classes you could take her too! Finding friends as a homeschooler is like finding friends as an adult, it is a little harder then you might like it to be but it can be done!

kylismomma
by on Apr. 2, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Thank you! I will have to start doing some research now for groups in my area. 

Quoting usmom3:

I would find some play date groups or homeschool groups that have park days or co op classes you could take her too! Finding friends as a homeschooler is like finding friends as an adult, it is a little harder then you might like it to be but it can be done!

Saraho5
by on Apr. 2, 2012 at 8:15 PM
We have just recently joined a co op, so that I can meet other homeschooling moms & my kids can meet other hs'ing kids & to get us out of the house. I'm helping out in the nursery, so that my youngest can stay with me. When I feel more comfortable on down the road, I wouldn't mind teaching a class. :-) good luck in your journey
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kylismomma
by on Apr. 2, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Thank you! :) I have only found one group in my area so far. Guess I should keep looking because that group starts at age 5. I will keep it in mind for the future though. 

Quoting Saraho5:

We have just recently joined a co op, so that I can meet other homeschooling moms & my kids can meet other hs'ing kids & to get us out of the house. I'm helping out in the nursery, so that my youngest can stay with me. When I feel more comfortable on down the road, I wouldn't mind teaching a class. :-) good luck in your journey

kirbymom
by Sonja on Apr. 2, 2012 at 9:41 PM

is she able to talk on the phone? Maybe she can call some of her friends and talk on the phone.  Are you able to make any time on the weekends, where you can have her get together with one or two of her friends?

romacox
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2012 at 7:35 AM

Most Home School groups register with their State Home School Association so that families like yours can find them.  I recommend contacting your State Association, and checking out several groups near you.  If you cannot find the right match for you and your daughter, it is possible to create your own small group made up of families you meet in the larger groups.

How To Find Your State Home School Association.

What Is A Home School Co-op?

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 3, 2012 at 8:00 AM
Search for a yahoogroup in your area. I believed there weren't many HS'ers in my area till i found a yahoogroup. Then i was amazed at all the HS'ers!
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Apr. 3, 2012 at 8:28 AM
If there ae any she is super close with, ask for their number and have playdates! That is what I did when I pulled my dd from prek4.
And like the others said, she will make new friends too. YMCA is a great place for activities, cousins, neighbors, church, homeschool groups, etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 11:17 AM
1 mom liked this

hi kyliesmomma,

she will get use to being at home again, just like she got use to being away from you at preschool! do some special things with her, read to her, talk with her, play with her!

kylismomma
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Ohh yes she could talk on the phone all day! But I was never close or even really talked to any of the moms there. I am younger and they were all older and seemed like best friends already, slightly intimidating. I don't even know their names or numbers, I only briefly saw them when we were picking up or dropping off our kids.

Quoting kirbymom:

is she able to talk on the phone? Maybe she can call some of her friends and talk on the phone.  Are you able to make any time on the weekends, where you can have her get together with one or two of her friends?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)