Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

HOW DO YOU DISCIPLINE YOUR KIDS ???

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2012 at 11:16 PM
  • 13 Replies

Im new in the homeschooling area, just started. I have a 4 and 5 yr old and is been getting sooo hard for them to focus....is to the point i have to separate them in different tables so they can focus. How do you discipline them when they fight with each other??? or when they dont want to homeschool??? im getting sooo frustrating, is soooo hard for me(with a newborn on me all day long).

Thanks for any suggestion.simple frown

by on Apr. 2, 2012 at 11:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JenTurn
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 5:08 AM
3 moms liked this

a 4 and 5 year old don't really need much "schooling" as much as they need mommy time and hands-on activities. You may be trying to do too much. Just realx and realize all the natural "schooling" they are getting just by being with you everyday. They can help you cook, shop, clean up the house. Little things like counting money on the coffee table while the baby is sleeping sends a message that you are there for them, and they will learn naturally.

zCheck out http://www.handsonhomeschooling.com/ or try 5-in-a-row, or even Konos. Great hands-on curriculums that will help you and your little ones enjoy school.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 3, 2012 at 8:07 AM
3 moms liked this
First, my suggestion is to only do 15 minutes of school for each year of your childs age, so a 4 y/o would only do 1 hour a day at most.

Second, we do Behavior Bucks. Each child has a poster that looks like a checkbook register. On the bottom are 3 columns. CREDITS = thing that earn them bucks. For instance, doing school work= 10 bucks, doing chores = 5 bucks, etc. DEBITS = things that will deduct bucks. For instance, being disrespectful = 15 bucks, lying = 25 bucks, fighting = 15 bucks, etc. COSTS = this is where we list all the things they can use their bucks. See i keep all electronics, games, movies, music, etc in my room. For instance, the Wii =25 bucks, nintendo DS = 20 bucks, etc. they can use their bucks to RENT these fun things for 24 hours. I initially instituted this system in order to introduce economics to the kids, but it has been amazing as a behavioral tool.
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Apr. 3, 2012 at 8:26 AM
I haven't had the problem of her not wanting to do the work yet, she loves school stuff like her mommy, and I rarely have to discipline her because she doesn't herself (I seriously have the best 6 yer old ever) but when she gets a little crazy I send her to her room for quiet time to regain her composure. Most of the time she gets a book and reads for a bit.

My nearly 3 year old is our challenge. She gets sent to her room a couple times a day, and gets warnings. "if you do that again, you won't get to play" in all honesty, she is what I'm working on now as far as myself. I have to change something in how I deal with her misbehaving because what I'm doing isn't working. :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mellissa1990
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 8:42 AM

Hi!  I'm Mellisa and I have four girls and am pregnant with a boy .  I home school my girls who are 6,5,3, and 2.  I still nursing my 2 year old. My girls really love school and I don't disciple them.  We turn lots of everyday experiences into learning such as spelling may be learning to spell the words on the grocery list. I often breast feed the two year old while teaching.  The three year old is learning from her older sisters.  My six year old is a really good reader and often reads to the others.  We spend lots of time at the public library.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2012 at 9:00 AM

I think making sure they have their own space is a good idea. My oldest usually doesn't give me problems but she is almost 11. My 7yo can sometimes act up.

First, I try having him do stretches or something, when he starts to get rowdy. Next, he'll get a stern talking, too, and then if the behavior continues he goes into the corner. I'll revoke video game/tv privileges or have him write lines.

At 4 and 5, I would try positive reenforcement before anything else, honestly. Good luck!!

Moma3boyz
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 9:11 AM
I separate our kids. I try to keep them together long enough to get the group lessons done. Then have kids in the living room, bedroom, kitchen or any where in between. At our house you dont free play time until homework is done. Not saying they dont get breaks or if they need they need to move they can't. They just dont get to play with friends, games our tv. It doesn't take too many times of watching their brother having fun for them to learn to just do the work. They are still young. Some kids learn to sit still and focus. Some never do. Thats the great thing about homeschooling. You can adapt to them. The posts above have some great ideas. Have fun with them. They learn even when you dont think they are.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
5BMom
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 9:42 AM
My kids are just about those ages. We do circle and an activity together. My older get on the computer for IXL Math, Starfall, or ABCYa whikevi work with younger. When she is done (20-30 minutes), she gets the computer, a documentary, or a coloring project, and older and I go to work for 30-45 minutes. This avoids some issues.

In terms of discipline, time out are our staple...but we don't do them during school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Saraho5
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 10:38 AM
I think I have a different strategy for each of our little ones...they all have different personalities & celebrating their uniqueness is important for me to remember. Oldest DD is our most reserved & sensitive child & doesn't need a lot of redirection. DS is a sweet boy, but needs lots of fresh air & play time. Youngest DD isn't quite a year and a half yet, but I can already tell she is less inhibited & far more outgoing than the other two. She's
our little wild child & she's a ton of fun to have around even though sleeping through the night isn't in her vocabulary yet! Lol

They make up a pretty good unit, but if they are at each other's throats- I separate them! Popsicles work wonders too. HA!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
StrictMomof2
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 9:27 PM

I have to agree that different methods work with each of my kids. My oldest is very stubborn and bull headed. My youngest boy is just so hipper he can barely control himself. My daughter is already showing signs of wanting to please me. Time outs or losing of rights is very big in our household.

placidic
by Member on Apr. 3, 2012 at 9:35 PM
I Quoting KickButtMama:

First, my suggestion is to only do 15 minutes of school for each year of your childs age, so a 4 y/o would only do 1 hour a day at most.

Second, we do Behavior Bucks. Each child has a poster that looks like a checkbook register. On the bottom are 3 columns. CREDITS = thing that earn them bucks. For instance, doing school work= 10 bucks, doing chores = 5 bucks, etc. DEBITS = things that will deduct bucks. For instance, being disrespectful = 15 bucks, lying = 25 bucks, fighting = 15 bucks, etc. COSTS = this is where we list all the things they can use their bucks. See i keep all electronics, games, movies, music, etc in my room. For instance, the Wii =25 bucks, nintendo DS = 20 bucks, etc. they can use their bucks to RENT these fun things for 24 hours. I initially instituted this system in order to introduce economics to the kids, but it has been amazing as a behavioral tool.

I did something similar with a roll of quarters.  My kids got them at the begnning of the week (they were like 8 and 10 at the time and they are now 10 years older. lol)  and we had *offenses* they had to pay for.  Hitting was a lot more than whining, etc.  They would get fined and whatever was left at the end of the week they got to keep.  Well, $10 was a lot of money to my kids and they looked forward to spending it at the end of the week, so it made for much better behaved children. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)