Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

HOW DO YOU DISCIPLINE YOUR KIDS ???

Posted by   + Show Post

Im new in the homeschooling area, just started. I have a 4 and 5 yr old and is been getting sooo hard for them to focus....is to the point i have to separate them in different tables so they can focus. How do you discipline them when they fight with each other??? or when they dont want to homeschool??? im getting sooo frustrating, is soooo hard for me(with a newborn on me all day long).

Thanks for any suggestion.simple frown

by on Apr. 2, 2012 at 11:16 PM
Replies (11-13):
wanderingwolf
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Kids that young learn best through playtime.  Make everything into a game and make the days short (say 1-2 hours a day)  as they won't have much of an attention span or the ability to sit still for long periods of time.  Don't focus so much on academic stuff as much as on playtime. 

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 4, 2012 at 7:40 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting placidic:

Lol! That's awesome! We would probably use real money if either my DH or I had jobs at the moment..lol.. $10 is a lot to me too! So we use the mythical 'bucks'. We can't afford to give them an allowance or anything like that. But this works amazingly well.

Ask me how you can make money sitting on your couch enjoy books with your children! It's the most amazing opportunity I've ever seen!!    Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education / The Usborne Learning Fairy

Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

jen2150
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2012 at 9:58 AM

First homeschooling is all about togetherness.  Your child will learn how to get along with time.  There is no such thing as being seperate.  We all need our alone time.  Your children will need to learn to give each other that.  I think a lot of people confuse training and discipline.  Training are teaching moments mixed throughout the day.  I would talk about behavior with my boys through out the day.  I would also read them stories about what behavior is important.  I also constantly corrected every time no matter how small.  You also need to be consistent and modeling the behavior you want is critical.  I also worked with them with their anger and how to control it.  I never used a reward system because I found not to be very helpful for my boys.  

I never forced my boys to do any school work especially at those ages.  I just found fun ways for them to learn.  When my boys were young I had what I called table time.  It started at just 5 minutes and as they got older I increased it as their attention span increased.  We did puzzles, workbooks they loved, play doh, art, drawing.  It was totally up to them.  As a homeschooler I have alwasys concentrated on their curiosity and motivation to learn.  I think forcing a child to sit and do something was counter productive to this idea.  I have always required my boys to work on the 3 R's but how we do that really varies.  My boys have a huge white board that we would write on together, we had a large floor geography puzzle we would put together, we would learn addition, subtraction, pattern and colors while using legos.  We always made weekly trips to the library and I would read to them constantly.  This age group I know can be very difficult but it does get better.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)