Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Typical Days....

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 12:25 AM
  • 16 Replies

I am looking for some samples of what a typical day in the life of a homeschooler is like so I can compare it to mine.  I really want a little more structure...CORRECTION...My husband wants a little more structure and I could deal with a little more organization (considering my world turned inside out when I couldn't find ONE tiny hole puncher for a project this morning...lol).  And throw in the ages of your "student(s) as well, please.

by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 12:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
5BMom
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 12:48 AM
1 mom liked this
My kids are still young (pre-k and k) but regardless, we are relaxed homeschoolers. On Sunday Night I plan the week out. We have goals like

Start and complete subtraction for the 3 family

Read Goldilocks 3 times and day 1 make mama bears porridge, day 2 paint bears, day 3 play act story

Lessons 12-18 in Lang. Lessons

And so on.. Its a long list. I also go over all the supplies needed for the week and pull them into a rubbermaid container. My absolute goal is to finish my list by the following Sunday night... The days or times are subject to change. This works for us. We do not handle routine well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JenTurn
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 5:18 AM
1 mom liked this

Let me start by saying...we ALL have those days! A homeschooler who says he/she's never "lost it" over a ...(insert item here) is not homeschooling. My day is typically up at 6:30 A.M. and the kids can have one cartoon (I know, BAD Mommy!) My kids are 8 and 10 so the "cartoon" is usually Mythbusters or an Animal Planet documentary. Then we eat breakfast at 7, and straighten up the house until 8. At 8, we sit down for creative writing, then science/social studies and language arts. Time for snack around 10:30. Then we do math and "extra subjects.

I have never been one for planning out my week, but I'm trying to turn over a new leaf for discipline's sake. We just started looking into the Workbox system, and I'm using Debra Bell's Ultimate Homeschooling Planner. I hope these methods help you.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Apr. 3, 2012 at 8:32 AM
2 moms liked this
Well, we had a schedule once. I loved it. Then I got pregnant, tired, sick, etc and it went out the window.
My kids are 6.5, almost 3, and I'm due June 4th.
The best thing we had was a school room. It was awesome. Everything was there, ready and waiting. No hunting for stuff, no looking for her favorite pencil, we had a routine, it was just.... Fantastic.
Well, the girls were done sharing a room, so we lost our HS room and our routine and organization. And now it's getting ready to be the baby's room.

So, now we do some school in the morning, some during nap, some after, some in the afternoon. Basically whenever we get a chance. Some days we will get it all done before 10am, and others we finish math up on the deck with play dough in the afternoon before dinner.

I really miss my schedule and room. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AntroNet
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Funny...I just ordered "The Well-Planned Day" Homeschool Planner.  I also ordered the "7-Week Day Menu PLanner for Dummies" and the new release "Beyond Bathtime" as in indication for "turning over a new leaf".  I used to have a home made planner and then I got pregnant.  But it's good.  You say you get up at 6:30, by choice or are you and your children natural early risers?  I want to get up at that time so bad for purposes of my devotion time and reading the Bible, but it seems more difficult than before.  And honey, cartoons are NOT bad.  They are a God-send for times I need to re-group.

Quoting JenTurn:

Let me start by saying...we ALL have those days! A homeschooler who says he/she's never "lost it" over a ...(insert item here) is not homeschooling. My day is typically up at 6:30 A.M. and the kids can have one cartoon (I know, BAD Mommy!) My kids are 8 and 10 so the "cartoon" is usually Mythbusters or an Animal Planet documentary. Then we eat breakfast at 7, and straighten up the house until 8. At 8, we sit down for creative writing, then science/social studies and language arts. Time for snack around 10:30. Then we do math and "extra subjects.

I have never been one for planning out my week, but I'm trying to turn over a new leaf for discipline's sake. We just started looking into the Workbox system, and I'm using Debra Bell's Ultimate Homeschooling Planner. I hope these methods help you.

AntroNet
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Oh, the homeschool room.  It was upstairs and perfect....and we never used it.  It was just easier to set up at the kitchen table. But now we had a friend give us an entertainment center that is built with shelves so we use the part where the tv goes for the "mommie"/science aquarium station and the shelves for their school books.  It is good to transition from there to outside when things get so roudy.  I miss my schedule, too.  Mine went out the door with pregnancy, so I guess that is common, huh?  Congratulations by the way!  Happy delivery to you!

Quoting Boobah:

Well, we had a schedule once. I loved it. Then I got pregnant, tired, sick, etc and it went out the window.
The best thing we had was a school room. It was awesome. Everything was there, ready and waiting. No hunting for stuff, no looking for her favorite pencil, we had a routine, it was just.... Fantastic.
Well, the girls were done sharing a room, so we lost our HS room and our routine and organization. And now it's getting ready to be the baby's room.

So, now we do some school in the morning, some during nap, some after, some in the afternoon. Basically whenever we get a chance. Some days we will get it all done before 10am, and others we finish math up on the deck with play dough in the afternoon before dinner.

AntroNet
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 10:17 AM

You are giving me some great ideas.  When you mentioned the Goldilocks example, it takes me to the idea of the Theme Bags that are offered in the Library.  I will definitely look into that with my toddler and preschooler!  Thanx!  And since my hubby is off on Wednesdays I will use that time to make a list and then gather the materials and Sunday to plan it all.  And use the container I have--well, it's a crate...but it'll do.  Thanx again.

Quoting 5BMom:

My kids are still young (pre-k and k) but regardless, we are relaxed homeschoolers. On Sunday Night I plan the week out. We have goals like

Start and complete subtraction for the 3 family

Read Goldilocks 3 times and day 1 make mama bears porridge, day 2 paint bears, day 3 play act story

Lessons 12-18 in Lang. Lessons

And so on.. Its a long list. I also go over all the supplies needed for the week and pull them into a rubbermaid container. My absolute goal is to finish my list by the following Sunday night... The days or times are subject to change. This works for us. We do not handle routine well.

oredeb
by debbie on Apr. 3, 2012 at 10:47 AM

we have a school room and each child has a plastic box with their stuff in it and a shelf in the book shelf so everything stays in ones place, every thing goes on the shelves, in containers so we dont loose anything!! hahaha we all work at a big long table together, but when we are reading together we all sprall out on the couches floor chairs or outside.  the kids ages are 10 11 13 14 14.

our typical day starts at 7 or 8 when the kids get up, they clean there rooms, eat breakfast and start on some chores

at 9 we start school w/ some bibe reading, singing etc

around 9:15 we start math, eveeryone has their own math book

then at 10 or so we put away our math, and start our lang. arts again everyone has their own book

next we stop around 10:45 and start our unit study together, we work on this for a couple hours.

next for about a half hour we do our nature studies, sometimes we do it with uor unit studies

so around 12 or 1 we  are done with school, eat lunch, finish up our chores, we have a chore list that changes weekly, now everyone can do what they want, read, work on something, sleep, play,

kirbymom
by Sonja on Apr. 3, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Are you able to be consistent with this schedule?  I tried this once upon a time... lol  

Quoting oredeb:

we have a school room and each child has a plastic box with their stuff in it and a shelf in the book shelf so everything stays in ones place, every thing goes on the shelves, in containers so we dont loose anything!! hahaha we all work at a big long table together, but when we are reading together we all sprall out on the couches floor chairs or outside.  the kids ages are 10 11 13 14 14.

our typical day starts at 7 or 8 when the kids get up, they clean there rooms, eat breakfast and start on some chores

at 9 we start school w/ some bibe reading, singing etc

around 9:15 we start math, eveeryone has their own math book

then at 10 or so we put away our math, and start our lang. arts again everyone has their own book

next we stop around 10:45 and start our unit study together, we work on this for a couple hours.

next for about a half hour we do our nature studies, sometimes we do it with uor unit studies

so around 12 or 1 we  are done with school, eat lunch, finish up our chores, we have a chore list that changes weekly, now everyone can do what they want, read, work on something, sleep, play,

kirbymom
by Sonja on Apr. 3, 2012 at 5:03 PM

That is exactly what happened to me too. Now its 3 years later and I still have a tough time trying to find my schedule!  lol  It is getting a little easier but still, I miss when everything ran so smoothly.  :) 

Quoting Boobah:

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Apr. 3, 2012 at 5:17 PM
It's very hard for me with my personality. I thrive on schedules and organization and I feel like everything is just absolute chaos lately! Lol

Quoting kirbymom:

That is exactly what happened to me too. Now its 3 years later and I still have a tough time trying to find my schedule!  lol  It is getting a little easier but still, I miss when everything ran so smoothly.  :) 

Quoting Boobah:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)