Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I am looking for some samples of what a typical day in the life of a homeschooler is like so I can compare it to mine.  I really want a little more structure...CORRECTION...My husband wants a little more structure and I could deal with a little more organization (considering my world turned inside out when I couldn't find ONE tiny hole puncher for a project this morning...lol).  And throw in the ages of your "student(s) as well, please.

by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 12:25 AM
Replies (11-16):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Apr. 3, 2012 at 5:32 PM

I didn't used to like schedules but after my seventh baby, I crave a schedule! What are some of the things you have tried that haven't worked for you? 

Quoting Boobah:

It's very hard for me with my personality. I thrive on schedules and organization and I feel like everything is just absolute chaos lately! Lol

Quoting kirbymom:

That is exactly what happened to me too. Now its 3 years later and I still have a tough time trying to find my schedule!  lol  It is getting a little easier but still, I miss when everything ran so smoothly.  :) 

Quoting Boobah:

Well, we had a schedule once. I loved it. Then I got pregnant, tired, sick, etc and it went out the window.
My kids are 6.5, almost 3, and I'm due June 4th.
The best thing we had was a school room. It was awesome. Everything was there, ready and waiting. No hunting for stuff, no looking for her favorite pencil, we had a routine, it was just.... Fantastic.
Well, the girls were done sharing a room, so we lost our HS room and our routine and organization. And now it's getting ready to be the baby's room.

So, now we do some school in the morning, some during nap, some after, some in the afternoon. Basically whenever we get a chance. Some days we will get it all done before 10am, and others we finish math up on the deck with play dough in the afternoon before dinner.

I really miss my schedule and room. :)

oredeb
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 5:47 PM

hahahaha yes im consistant, this is what we do at this time, and if im interrupted by the phone, i have a lesson plan that gets me back on track! now if someones sick, well we just do our math and lang arts and read, play, games the rest of the time, but if we or i wana take off any of those days we do, we just all get up leave the room and close the door! theres plenty of learning to do outside!

Quoting kirbymom:

Are you able to be consistent with this schedule?  I tried this once upon a time... lol  

Quoting oredeb:

we have a school room and each child has a plastic box with their stuff in it and a shelf in the book shelf so everything stays in ones place, every thing goes on the shelves, in containers so we dont loose anything!! hahaha we all work at a big long table together, but when we are reading together we all sprall out on the couches floor chairs or outside.  the kids ages are 10 11 13 14 14.

our typical day starts at 7 or 8 when the kids get up, they clean there rooms, eat breakfast and start on some chores

at 9 we start school w/ some bibe reading, singing etc

around 9:15 we start math, eveeryone has their own math book

then at 10 or so we put away our math, and start our lang. arts again everyone has their own book

next we stop around 10:45 and start our unit study together, we work on this for a couple hours.

next for about a half hour we do our nature studies, sometimes we do it with uor unit studies

so around 12 or 1 we  are done with school, eat lunch, finish up our chores, we have a chore list that changes weekly, now everyone can do what they want, read, work on something, sleep, play,

rsrangel
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2012 at 6:54 PM

I made a yearly calendar in which I marked scheduled breaks - days or weeks off.  I based this off a mixture of the public school schedule and sample year-long schedule by another homeschool family (we school year-round but on many of the public school days off my kids will spend the day doing things with grandma and their older cousins).  This is physically hung and marked so my son can see what is coming up.  Then I have a hung daily school schedule.  Our goal for each day is to have all formal schooling done by lunch time (sometime between 12:30 and 1) except independent reading time which he does when the little ones go for quiet time, and computer time in the afternoon 2 days a week I tell him to but he can do it other days if he wants too.  We start at 9 with devotions then school work, he has a break at 10:30 for snack and short play time, then back to work.  If he gets it all done by lunch (not including the reading and computer time), he puts a coin/chip thing (not sure what they are called lol) in this special jar that we have.  When he has collected 20 of them we throw Friday's work out the window and go on a field trip or beach day.  He loves having this to work towards every day and I love having his stuff done by lunch (because much of that time is me doing things with him).  :)  Tuesdays and Thursdays are easy days for him and normally consists of an hour or less of school work because I have class those days.  So main school days are Monday, Wednesday and Friday.  We do main subjects every day - reading, language arts, math, spelling, journal/handwriting - and we do history on Mon/Wed and Science on Fridays.  But learning is always going on - I try to put only learning shows on TV except weekends and some evenings, computer time is time4learning.com and other learning game sites, Wii, outings, books, library, doing computer searches when he randomly asks questions about something wanting to know "how it works" or something else. 

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Apr. 3, 2012 at 9:31 PM
Well, to be honest, it was working great! Lol! We had a schedule that basically said what subjects to do. We did them in whatever order worked best for that day, but we did school at roughly the same time every day. Started around 9 and usually done before 11-12:00.

When I got rid of the school room, we abandoned pretty much everything, since I also found out I was pregnant that same week! I had no energy, was sick, and didn't do a whole lot of anything for a couple months. I'd squeak math and reading in, sometimes spelling, but we missed a lot of everything.

Having everything in several different rooms has been very tough for me. I have some materials in their closet on a bookshelf, had some in the other closet, some in the living room, some in the dining room, then I have my desk and computer with more supplies in my bedroom. It is constantly "where is this..." and gathering materials. I cannot function this way.

Unfortunately, there isn't much I can do about it because we literally have no more room in our home. But, I have condensed a bit. I put the materials I rarely ever use in their closet, nothing in the baby's closet besides the paper cutter, and set up our small buffet hutch to hold all the things we use every day. My desk and computer is still in my bedroom, which is pretty inconvenient, but I can't find anywhere else to put it. I keep the library books in the living room on a bookshelf, and have squeezed her little school desk into our living room so she has somewhere consistent to be. (I just put that in here today, hopefully it helps keep her books and pencils in one spot! Lol!)

Sorry, that was lengthy.

One thing that did not work we tried was an online planner called homeschoolskedtrack.com. It's a nice program, but I can't keep up. And it's do difficult to input everything after the fact. I've moved to a regular old paper planner, day runner style. I had an awesome planner I made myself, and it worked fantastic, but I only printed through December and haven't gotten around to printing the rest of the year. Lol! It was very similar to the well planned day planner.

Quoting kirbymom:

I didn't used to like schedules but after my seventh baby, I crave a schedule! What are some of the things you have tried that haven't worked for you? 

Quoting Boobah:

It's very hard for me with my personality. I thrive on schedules and organization and I feel like everything is just absolute chaos lately! Lol

Quoting kirbymom:

That is exactly what happened to me too. Now its 3 years later and I still have a tough time trying to find my schedule!  lol  It is getting a little easier but still, I miss when everything ran so smoothly.  :) 

Quoting Boobah:

Well, we had a schedule once. I loved it. Then I got pregnant, tired, sick, etc and it went out the window.
My kids are 6.5, almost 3, and I'm due June 4th.
The best thing we had was a school room. It was awesome. Everything was there, ready and waiting. No hunting for stuff, no looking for her favorite pencil, we had a routine, it was just.... Fantastic.
Well, the girls were done sharing a room, so we lost our HS room and our routine and organization. And now it's getting ready to be the baby's room.

So, now we do some school in the morning, some during nap, some after, some in the afternoon. Basically whenever we get a chance. Some days we will get it all done before 10am, and others we finish math up on the deck with play dough in the afternoon before dinner.

I really miss my schedule and room. :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2012 at 12:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Relaxed homeschooler here.  Ds is 11 and in 5th grade.  

We start at about 10:30am.  We spend 30 minutes on English (grammar, spelling, vocab, writing, etc), 30 minutes on Math, and 30 minutes on either History (reading, written or oral narration, and timeline), Science (reading and experiment), or Spanish (book & CD Rom).  Afternoons are always free to pursue interests, get creative, go out somewhere, or hang with friends.  Once or twice a week we do a field trip or class with one of our homeschool groups.  It's extremely effective and it works very well for us.

I keep all our books and supplies in the china cabinet (who needs good dishes anyway? lol) and the dozen or so that we use most stays in a bookcase in the living room.  Pens, pencils, and erasers are in 1 shoebox and rulers, protractors, scissors, glue, stapler, holepunch, index cards, and post-its are in another - ALWAYS.  We prefer sitting on the couch to do seatwork.   We use lots of workbooks, novels, marble notebooks, websites, and documentaries.  Giving up a set curriculum was great for us.  We just follow the general guidelines from worldbook's "typical course of study" in whatever way we like.  Now ds seems to get more done in less time, retain more info, and both of us are so much less stressed.

Angela

dd(18) Freshman in college, dd(15) Sophomore at the (real) Fame school,                                               ds(11) 5th Grade homeschooler

Visit my Blog

littleacorn
by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 12:27 AM
We get up around noon or so, have breakfast, get our brains on, etc. The kids then do their bookwork, with a focus on reading, 'riting, and 'rithemetic. If they get done before their friends get off school, they might play Wii or watch a video. When their friends get home, the play with them until their friend has to go home. Oh, we usually have lunch right before "regular" kids get home. Then, we do special projects mostly focused on science, social studies, or art and I make dinner. After dinner, they work on projects more if they want or have free time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)