Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

At what age did you start homeschooling?

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 6:00 PM
  • 18 Replies

I am wondering when everyone started to homeschool? Is there an age that is the perfect age?  I think what i am asking is...

is there an age that is too early?

by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 6:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
placidic
by Member on Apr. 3, 2012 at 6:04 PM

I started when my daughter was 3 and the transition to Kindergarten at age 5 was much easier for me.  She is in 1st grade now, so this is the 4th year for us. 

I don't think any age is too early.  Our 2.5 year old likes to sit and do manipulatives, coloring pages and worksheets (he just colors and tries to trace...no pressure), computer games, etc. 

I mean, I think our soon to be 3 month old is too early for homeschool, but not to be sung to and talked to and trying to bat at toys. lol

kirbymom
by Sonja on Apr. 3, 2012 at 6:11 PM

what did you start with when you started your daughter, if I may ask?

Quoting placidic:

I started when my daughter was 3 and the transition to Kindergarten at age 5 was much easier for me.  She is in 1st grade now, so this is the 4th year for us. 

I don't think any age is too early.  Our 2.5 year old likes to sit and do manipulatives, coloring pages and worksheets (he just colors and tries to trace...no pressure), computer games, etc. 

I mean, I think our soon to be 3 month old is too early for homeschool, but not to be sung to and talked to and trying to bat at toys. lol

oredeb
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 6:29 PM
2 moms liked this

well in the womb really, always talking to the kids, laughing, teacing them songs, reading to them!

but academics we started at different times for each of the kids,

oldest dd 4

next dd 5

next dd i didnt start her at all, she started herself by listening to me teach the others

son- 5 but we didnt do phonics/reading stuff till 8

is there an age that is to early

well i think it depends on the child, start when the child is ready, not when teh mom thinks he/she should be ready!!

rsrangel
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Officially? My oldest went to public school for K, so he was 6 (1st grade) when we started.  My 5 year old son is just starting to show interest so I'll be ordering his curriculum soon (I tried to start with him last August but he just wasn't ready so I just laid off it).  My 4 year old son isn't ready for formal schooling yet although he does like to join in to certain activities we do so he does know much more then I would expect him too, but my 3 year old daughter asks to do "school" constantly so I have started some formal things with her but we keep it simple.  I'd just say to start when you feel they are ready and back off if it gets to much for them.  It's amazing how little I think I've done with my little ones, yet they know SO much just from every day experiences, playing and over-hearing my 1st graders lessons. 

PEEK05
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 6:35 PM

I'm starting this fall. My daughter will be 3.5 at the time we start.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2012 at 7:08 PM

I pulled Missie out after 1st grade so she was 7. Cole I started at 5 but I think I really should have waited until 6, but I didn't want him to be older when he graduated. Theo will be 3 in July but he really is picking things up, so who knows when I'll start formal schooling with him. Nikki of course is just working on the basics of solid food and crawling. LOL I think I'll give her a few years.

I argue with myself if Cole would have done better going earlier or later, but I'm just going with it.

Mrs.Miller11
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Officially, with an actual curriculum? Around age 3. But I taughter her what I consider to be the "building blocks" since birth.

MedicMommy2
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 8:35 PM

I pulled my son out at the semester mark of kinder so he was 5. My daughter is 26 months so we do not do anything formal with her but she has therapies 2-3 times a week to work on her sensory and behavior issues so we focus more on that but she has picked up a ton from our 5 year old.

kcangel63
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 8:37 PM
2 moms liked this
At birth. We all teach our babies to talk, walk, to know the alphabet, to read, to count, and how to behave. That is homeschooling. :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
placidic
by Member on Apr. 3, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Cait's Curriculum on CD with printables, online printables and Starfall.com 

My son is 2.5 and I use abcmouse.com for him, starfall, pbs, nickjr, manipulatives, matching games, coloring pages.  He really responds well to computer activities, but all kids are different. 

Quoting kirbymom:

what did you start with when you started your daughter, if I may ask?

Quoting placidic:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)