Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

At what age did you start homeschooling?

Posted by   + Show Post

I am wondering when everyone started to homeschool? Is there an age that is the perfect age?  I think what i am asking is...

is there an age that is too early?

by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 6:00 PM
Replies (11-18):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Apr. 3, 2012 at 9:33 PM
Officially, we pulled dd1 out of prek4 and homeschooled her, back in public for kinder, then homeschooled for first. (still in first)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
letstalk747
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 10:02 PM

LaurainMT
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 11:48 AM

We started homeschooling when our kids were in 1st and 2nd grade; 7 adn 8 years old. 

My daughter did kindergarten and 1st grade and my son did kindergarten at public school.   My daughter spent last year (5th grade) in a private school and my son spent the first 1/2 of his 4th grade year in the same private school.  They are both home now and I doubt we will ever go back.  We've tried both private and public schools so at least I will never have a nagging doubt about our homeschool choice.  The kids, also, know what it's like to be in traditional school settings, so they don't doubt that they've got it good being at home.  When school is frustrating sometimes, we recall those long 7-8 hour days in a classroom and that helps their attitude by increasing their gratefulness at being at home.  No doubt we know what works for our family these days - keeping them at home!

Love,

Laura

kirbymom
by Sonja on Apr. 4, 2012 at 4:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Sometimes I wish I had put my kids in public school so they could have the benefits of the knowledge of the differences between homeschooling and public schooling.

Quoting LaurainMT

We started homeschooling when our kids were in 1st and 2nd grade; 7 adn 8 years old. 

My daughter did kindergarten and 1st grade and my son did kindergarten at public school.   My daughter spent last year (5th grade) in a private school and my son spent the first 1/2 of his 4th grade year in the same private school.  They are both home now and I doubt we will ever go back.  We've tried both private and public schools so at least I will never have a nagging doubt about our homeschool choice.  The kids, also, know what it's like to be in traditional school settings, so they don't doubt that they've got it good being at home.  When school is frustrating sometimes, we recall those long 7-8 hour days in a classroom and that helps their attitude by increasing their gratefulness at being at home.  No doubt we know what works for our family these days - keeping them at home!

Love,

Laura

NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Dd(15) was 8.  She homeschooled from 3rd to 8th grade and then went into a prestigious performing arts high school (for dance). 

Dd(18) was 13 and only homeschooled for 8th grade.  Then she went into a high school for journalism.  She is currently a freshman in college.

Ds(11) started homeschooling at age 5 after 2 years of 1/2-day preschool.  He's is still homeschooling now in 5th grade.  He plans on attending high school like his sisters did (maybe for science, or technology, or film, or the arts).

In my opinion, your not really homeschooling until your child is in Kindergarten.  My state's compulsory school age is 6.  

Angela

dd(18) Freshman in college, dd(15) Sophomore at the (real) Fame school,                                               ds(11) 5th Grade homeschooler

Visit my Blog

kirbymom
by Sonja on Apr. 4, 2012 at 5:15 PM

I bet you are super proud. Was home schooling easy, difficult or somewhere in between? 

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

Dd(15) was 8.  She homeschooled from 3rd to 8th grade and then went into a prestigious performing arts high school (for dance). 

Dd(18) was 13 and only homeschooled for 8th grade.  Then she went into a high school for journalism.  She is currently a freshman in college.

Ds(11) started homeschooling at age 5 after 2 years of 1/2-day preschool.  He's is still homeschooling now in 5th grade.  He plans on attending high school like his sisters did (maybe for science, or technology, or film, or the arts).

In my opinion, your not really homeschooling until your child is in Kindergarten.  My state's compulsory school age is 6.  

NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2012 at 11:18 PM

It was scary stepping out of my comfort zone at first.  After the unnecessary worrying, I allowed myself to enjoy it and it became incrediblly rewarding and fun.  Best of all, the school-worry knot in my stomach disappeared. After taking a few months to find our groove, I didn't find it difficult at all.  It makes all the difference in the world to get to tailor the education to your children, rather than the other way around.  

Quoting kirbymom:

I bet you are super proud. Was home schooling easy, difficult or somewhere in between? 

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

Angela

dd(18) Freshman in college, dd(15) Sophomore at the (real) Fame school,                                               ds(11) 5th Grade homeschooler

Visit my Blog

2E-Mommy
by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 1:39 AM

I personally believe that it is never too early to homeschool. I don't think homeschooling has to be a structured, sit-down-at-a-desk and look at a blackboard type of learning, and can be more like play in the early years.

We started homeschooling our oldest at age 4.5 because she is twice-excpetional (PG and Asperger's), and was going to a school for the gifted that asked her to leave because they didn't know what to do with her. She would get hyperfocused and would chase after butterflies not matter where she was...across a busy parking lot...in the middle of class...next to a pool. Very dangerous. We homeschooled her after that until she was 7, then tried a Waldorf school off and on until she was 8.5. The Waldorf school was a nightmare. We have continued to homeschool her since then, and she is now 15.5.

We have homeschooled our youngest, who is 9, since the beginning. She is also twice exceptional (PG and Asperger's...must be genetic).  From my experience, in certain regards homeschooling has been easier for my youngest who has never been in a school because she takes my direction much better than her sister did. On the other hand, my oldest knows how horrible a school setting was for her and therefore really appreciates homeschooling, which her sister will never really understand.

Anyway, that is my opinion:)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN