Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Would you combine them? With what?

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 9:17 PM
  • 4 Replies
I had high hopes of combing my kids next yesr, but I am not sure it would be best for them...easier on me, maybe...and easier on my tight budget. If I DO combine them, I have NO idea with what curriculum. I have a DS who will be 5 in July. He is a grade+ ahead in LA and Math, but still on par eveywhere else. In general, he is a bright kid. He isn't overly fond of read-alouds but LOVES workbooks. He could do without arts and crafts but loves building things, putting things together, etc... DD is 11 months younger. She will be 4 in June. She is just starting to blend letters into words, but in all honesty, she is going to do better with a phonics/sight word combo. She is counting and understands one to one correspondance. She HATES workbooks. She hides under the bed when I pull out Rod and Staff ABC books. She loves read-alouds and narrates them back very well for her age. She loves crafts and activities,
too.

What would you do? I want them to both be well rounded, so in that respect combining them in everything but math and LA seems wise...but I just don't know.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 9:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
oredeb
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 9:54 PM
2 moms liked this

hi 5bmom, with my kids they each have their own math and lang arts books to do, but with all other subjects i use unit studies that i made and can tweck for each age level, ive done this for years.

if your doing each subject separately it will still work, just get the each the same books(science, history, hand writing, etc) and have them do it together, listening together while you read to them or one of the kids reads outloud(when they are able to) when you want to find out what the kids learn just ask your girl to tell your and your boy to write a paragraph if writing comes easier, but if it was me i'd have them both do both, so they get use to the other way for a while.

MrsHubler
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 5:31 AM
1 mom liked this
Like the pp said, I would use unit studies but have parts be for each age!
romacox
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2012 at 3:42 PM

I combine in math and language arts using the game called Ring Around The Phonics

Following is an article describing the old one room school house method of teaching

How To Do Your Own Lesson Plans

kirbymom
by Sonja on Apr. 4, 2012 at 6:14 PM

This is very sound advice.  I would combine irregardless and just do a little tweaking here and there. That is one of the many perks of home schooling.  :) 

Quoting oredeb:

hi 5bmom, with my kids they each have their own math and lang arts books to do, but with all other subjects i use unit studies that i made and can tweck for each age level, ive done this for years.

if your doing each subject separately it will still work, just get the each the same books(science, history, hand writing, etc) and have them do it together, listening together while you read to them or one of the kids reads outloud(when they are able to) when you want to find out what the kids learn just ask your girl to tell your and your boy to write a paragraph if writing comes easier, but if it was me i'd have them both do both, so they get use to the other way for a while.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)