Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

what curriculum are u using for science and social studies????

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 8:21 AM
  • 20 Replies

Hi ! First of all, I am just starting homeschooling and would like to thank the group for all the help, support and wonderful answers. I have learned so much from reading posts and asking questions.

My kids are 10 and 7. I was wondering what would be a good science/social studies/ language arts curriculum. Something that is not too confusing as they have learning challenges. I find that books that are too "busy" overwhelms them.

I am using Math u See for math. I like the unit study idea.

I would love any and all suggestions. Hugs

by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 8:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oredeb
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 9:25 AM

hi nutri!!

yes unit studies are fun!!!

heres a real good book for science and easy to read  and understand for all levels! apologia i recommend all of them, ive used them for 2nd grade up to 9th grade all using only 1 book!  shes has notebooks that go with them for a bit extra something the kids fill out.

for history- theres mystery of history, thats a big, thats pretty neat if you enjoy history, you make a huge timeline as you go along and have plenty of arts and crafts that go with it,

heres a review of a bunch more historys that are good! http://cathyduffyreviews.com/history-geography/history-geography-index.htm

and heres the review of sciences curr.  http://cathyduffyreviews.com/science/science-index.htm

another one i like is the reading thru history- reading books and going thru history!

heres another science the kids and i enjoyed, condsidering gods creation for 2nd to 7th grade all together, lots of hands on

rod and staff has some nice plain science and history books that get the job done  http://www.rodandstaffbooks.com/list/Rod_and_Staff_Curriculum_by_Subject/

jen2150
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2012 at 9:28 AM

What types of things in science do they enjoy?  I have doing my own for science and history and it has really working well for us.

nutrimom624
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 9:49 AM

they love insects, marine life, pretty much anything nature. As far as history, I have never done much with it except needed homework. They have been in school up to this point.

nutrimom624
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 9:50 AM

thanx Oredeb!!!!! I will look into them =)

carolkey74
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 10:51 AM
We use apologia for science. It's always been great. Mt 6th grader is watching Drive Thru History this year, and we're doing the DTH curriculum that is about character. I really recommend DTH.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
swim-mom72
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 11:02 AM

First of all, WELCOME!

If Math U See is working, and both you and your kids like it, then stick with it. You know the saying, " If it 'aint broke don't fix it." That is so true with curriculum.

Depending upon your religious preferences, Apologia's elementary series may work for you. We have used the Astronomy, Anatomy and Zoology and love them all. We have also used Real Science 4 Kids with great success. If your kids have learning challenges, and need things in simpler terms, this might be a good fit.

For history, we have used Sonlight, Story of the World, Alpha Omega and Mystery of History. Out of all of those, Mystery of History is, by far, our favorite.

5BMom
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 11:34 AM
I plan on using Beautiful Feet Books for History starting in Grade 1.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amommyslife03
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 11:45 AM

we are using prentice hall science explore and just useing the book on what they want to learn  and for history we are using Story of the world (and you can get them from the walmart online site)  it starts in acient times n goes threw a 4book series all the way to modern times and also theres an activity book with stuff for the kids to do with each chapter

homskoolmom4
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Hi! since they have learning challenges...i think good books are core skills they are only  ten dollars a work book and they are great i used those for my kindergarten and when he was in first grade for science and ss

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Apr. 4, 2012 at 3:26 PM
Right now we're use Science in a nutshell boxes. Each box is designed for 3 students and costs about $40. It has everything but the most basic household items...simple things like tape, baking soda, paper, etc.

They are geared for 2nd - 6th grade and have a science journal for each child and an activity guide for the adult. We have has a lot of fun with them. See the body science threads from last week..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN