Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

what curriculum are u using for science and social studies????

Posted by   + Show Post

Hi ! First of all, I am just starting homeschooling and would like to thank the group for all the help, support and wonderful answers. I have learned so much from reading posts and asking questions.

My kids are 10 and 7. I was wondering what would be a good science/social studies/ language arts curriculum. Something that is not too confusing as they have learning challenges. I find that books that are too "busy" overwhelms them.

I am using Math u See for math. I like the unit study idea.

I would love any and all suggestions. Hugs

by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 8:21 AM
Replies (11-20):
wanderingwolf
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Saxon Math for math.

Elemental Science and Magic School Bus Books for Pre-K and Kindergarten science. 

Elemental History for Kindergarten History. 

Elemental Science for 1st-5th grade science. 

Ad-Duha Institiute for Arabic and Islamic Studies in addition to stuff from Iqra.org and Islamic Book Store.

Scott Foresman Social Studies for 1st-4th grade.

OH History 4th grade.

World Geography in 5th grade.

Weekly themes as well for Preschool-Kindergarten.  For 3 years old we're just focusing on the Mini Mu'min program (Arabic, English, Du'a) and worksheets from TSL Books website.  . 

wright1212
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 8:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I know I say it all the time, but I still love http://www.lessonpathways.com/  Its for lower grades, but you could always just use the topics then expand. I will add in hands on things I get from pintrest, sometimes a few things from homeschool share then the library. I found for us using a notebook system helps. I got art sketch pads (the heavy paper kind) and she journals what we are learning. So I may glue in a map of antartica, then she draw animals that live there along with a few written facts!!

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Apr. 4, 2012 at 9:37 PM
I am using outdoor secrets for science (DO NOT recommend) and Story of the world - ancients for history - that one is okay, but I dislike history so I probably am more apt to dislike it regardless. ;) My daughter is first grade.
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Apr. 4, 2012 at 9:40 PM

I just checked this out - and it's fabulous!  I have looked on there before, but it always overwhelms me.  Thank you for the suggestion, I will be looking into this website further before purchasing anything for next year!

Quoting wright1212:

I know I say it all the time, but I still love http://www.lessonpathways.com/  Its for lower grades, but you could always just use the topics then expand. I will add in hands on things I get from pintrest, sometimes a few things from homeschool share then the library. I found for us using a notebook system helps. I got art sketch pads (the heavy paper kind) and she journals what we are learning. So I may glue in a map of antartica, then she draw animals that live there along with a few written facts!!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
2E-Mommy
by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 1:52 AM

We have used...

Exploring Creation Through Astronomy 

Exploring Creation Through Botany

Science documentaries

Science Made Easy (UK Curriculum)

jen2150
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2012 at 9:05 AM

I usually do a nature study every spring and summer.  Real science odyssey has a great biology curriculum, I also like apologia's botany book.  I am also thinking of trying botany for your plate this year.  I would look at your library for special books on nature.  My youngest is all into nature and I do this all the time for him.  Nature journaling is a great place to start as well.  There is a website called bare books and they have some awesome blank journals.  I love the spiral ones.  They even get to design the covers.  As far as history goes you will need to figure out if you want to do world or us history.  For US history I like The story of us by Joy Hakim.  

Quoting nutrimom624:

they love insects, marine life, pretty much anything nature. As far as history, I have never done much with it except needed homework. They have been in school up to this point.

nutrimom624
by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 10:20 AM

thanks everyone!!!! I so appreciate all your comments and suggestions because it helps me narrow things down. Then I can do some research and choose what I believe will work for my boys =)

hugs

lucsch
by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 2:11 PM

For our main currriculum, we used Heart of Dakota, which uses lots of living books. It includes all subjects.

We also use Apologia science and next year we are trying noeo science.

romacox
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2012 at 4:04 PM

I also like Math U See.  It was created by a home school family.  For language arts I use Ring Around The phonics which was also created by a home school family.  

LaurainMT
by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Hi Nutrimom,

The two programs my children love are:

The Story of the World: History for the Classical Child by Susan Wise Bauer.  It comes in four volumes.  You can either read the textbook or play the books on CDs (our choice).  Each volume comes with a workbook with wonderful maps and pictures to help the child follow along.  There are also many other suggested readings and quiz questions in those workbooks, too.  I purchase mine on Amazon as their prices have been the most reasonable.  But you may be able to find something less expensive on Ebay.

For science we LOVE, LOVE, LOVE SuperchargedScience.  http:/www.SuperchargedScience.com .  I posted about this program on my blog, Freedom at Home and School.  http:/www.freedomathomeandschool.blogspot.com  It will give you a better understanding about why this program is so fabulous.  The home page offers "free stuff" and I think that's where she lists the dates of her free video classes.  That's what hooked us.  It's $37/month I think, but absolutely worth it and you can get your money back if you cancel within 30 days.  At a minimum, see if you can listen to her lecture on Astronomy.  We watched it twice. 

I know there are tons of wonderful resources out there and we've tried several, but these are our favorites.

Have fun!

Love,

Laura

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)