Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Are neighbors important when it comes to your child(ren)?

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 8:34 PM
  • 34 Replies

Do you think it is imporatnt as to the type of neighbors you have in regards to your child(ren)?  Why or why Not?

by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 8:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AntroNet
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 9:02 PM
4 moms liked this

Yes.  Very important.  Neighbors leave behind good times.  Or they can leave behind bad habits and bullying. 

5BMom
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 9:17 PM
I live in a private community with 57 homes on 600 acres, so I don't have neighbors per say. And the houses that are close are inhabited by a unique blend of people who don't have young kids. They read as a whos who list of famous Americans....they are all good, nice people who enrich my kids lives... I am thankful for this community and my town.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Apr. 4, 2012 at 9:35 PM
1 mom liked this

This is hard for me, because although I really enjoy watching my girls play with the neighbors, it is also VERY FRUSTRATING!  They come home acting like brats, rude, saying things that shouldn't be said, attitudes, etc.  I have mentioned before the neighbor girls getting a little physical with a beach towel that had a popular teen boy on it - at age THREE.  

Sometimes I wish I lived in the country (okay, most times I wish I lived in the country), but I have to just suck it up and teach my kids why we don't act that way. 

So yes, I think the kind of neighbors you have is very important. 

When I was growing up, I had a very nice boy live 2 houses down.  We had a lot of fun together.  He also had a cousin who came to visit very often - not such a nice boy.  I really wish I could forget a lot of that boy.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2012 at 8:49 AM
1 mom liked this

Our only neighbors is grandma and that is just fine with me.  My kids do just fine.  We actually enjoy our peace and quiet.  I prefer not to be bothered at home.  We go a lot of places during the week.  It is the perfect balance for us.  

oredeb
by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 10:49 AM
1 mom liked this

i like to say it doesnt matter, just to take the type of neighbor we get as part of life, but to be honest it does matter, like some said bullies(the adults and the kids) good neighbors make a difference!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Apr. 6, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Hi.  :)

Can I come live with you then?  I am sooo in need of neighbors like this. lol 

Quoting 5BMom:

I live in a private community with 57 homes on 600 acres, so I don't have neighbors per say. And the houses that are close are inhabited by a unique blend of people who don't have young kids. They read as a whos who list of famous Americans....they are all good, nice people who enrich my kids lives... I am thankful for this community and my town.

snowangel1979
by Member on Apr. 6, 2012 at 3:33 PM
Yes and no LOL. we live out in the country, there are no children around here. Sometimes it sucks because he has no one to play with daily. Then again sometimes its a blessing because I don't have 10 kids over here every day. He has a lot of stand in grandparents though lol, the old farmer across the street is always giving him candy, and the neighbor gives him little odd jobs like picking up rocks. Unfortunately a lot of the houses around us are slowly becoming rentals, we now have a "sex offender" living behind us. Who the police were looking for a month ago. :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kirbymom
by Sonja on Apr. 6, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Quoting snowangel1979:

Yes and no LOL. we live out in the country, there are no children around here. Sometimes it sucks because he has no one to play with daily. Then again sometimes its a blessing because I don't have 10 kids over here every day. He has a lot of stand in grandparents though lol, the old farmer across the street is always giving him candy, and the neighbor gives him little odd jobs like picking up rocks. Unfortunately a lot of the houses around us are slowly becoming rentals, we now have a "sex offender" living behind us. Who the police were looking for a month ago. :(

Wow.  That would have me on my gaurd 24/7.   

Don't you just love those stand in grandparents?  They can be the sweetest people.   :)

snowangel1979
by Member on Apr. 6, 2012 at 4:26 PM
1 mom liked this
Kinda but our property is over 1/4 mile so It's not like he can even see my son playing or our house. If he goes in the back feild, he takes his walkie-talkie and his dog (lab/pit mix) That dog will not let anyone she doesn't know get close to him, she stands between him and a "stranger". The closer a person gets the higher her lip gets.

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting snowangel1979:

Wow.  That would have me on my gaurd 24/7.   

Don't you just love those stand in grandparents?  They can be the sweetest people.   :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 6, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Ugh! Neighbors can be a blessing or a curse. We have a mix of both around me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN