Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Are neighbors important when it comes to your child(ren)?

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you think it is imporatnt as to the type of neighbors you have in regards to your child(ren)?  Why or why Not?

by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 8:34 PM
Replies (11-20):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Apr. 6, 2012 at 5:00 PM

I used to have a dog that was like that! She was the best dog we ever had.  What's your dog's name, if I may ask? 

Quoting snowangel1979:

Kinda but our property is over 1/4 mile so It's not like he can even see my son playing or our house. If he goes in the back feild, he takes his walkie-talkie and his dog (lab/pit mix) That dog will not let anyone she doesn't know get close to him, she stands between him and a "stranger". The closer a person gets the higher her lip gets.

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting snowangel1979:

Yes and no LOL. we live out in the country, there are no children around here. Sometimes it sucks because he has no one to play with daily. Then again sometimes its a blessing because I don't have 10 kids over here every day. He has a lot of stand in grandparents though lol, the old farmer across the street is always giving him candy, and the neighbor gives him little odd jobs like picking up rocks. Unfortunately a lot of the houses around us are slowly becoming rentals, we now have a "sex offender" living behind us. Who the police were looking for a month ago. :(

Wow.  That would have me on my gaurd 24/7.   

Don't you just love those stand in grandparents?  They can be the sweetest people.   :)

snowangel1979
by Member on Apr. 6, 2012 at 5:40 PM
1 mom liked this
KoKo. It means midnight in American Indian. She's 1/2 black lab and 1/2 pit-bull. She looks likes just like a black lab but she's like 80 pounds. I have a boxer/pit mix named baby too but she's definitely not a "protector". She would go with anyone.

Quoting kirbymom:

I used to have a dog that was like that! She was the best dog we ever had.  What's your dog's name, if I may ask? 

Quoting snowangel1979:

Kinda but our property is over 1/4 mile so It's not like he can even see my son playing or our house. If he goes in the back feild, he takes his walkie-talkie and his dog (lab/pit mix) That dog will not let anyone she doesn't know get close to him, she stands between him and a "stranger". The closer a person gets the higher her lip gets.

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting snowangel1979:

Yes and no LOL. we live out in the country, there are no children around here. Sometimes it sucks because he has no one to play with daily. Then again sometimes its a blessing because I don't have 10 kids over here every day. He has a lot of stand in grandparents though lol, the old farmer across the street is always giving him candy, and the neighbor gives him little odd jobs like picking up rocks. Unfortunately a lot of the houses around us are slowly becoming rentals, we now have a "sex offender" living behind us. Who the police were looking for a month ago. :(

Wow.  That would have me on my gaurd 24/7.   

Don't you just love those stand in grandparents?  They can be the sweetest people.   :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wowguildmomma
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 5:50 PM

We just moved to our new neighborhood a few months ago so as of yet I havn't really met anyone except the judgemental chick that pulled up and chewed me out for wearing my jeans with holes in the knees and a old shirt for mowing in claiming I was disgracing the neighborhood. 

kirbymom
by Sonja on Apr. 6, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Wow! Really!?!  I hope you haven't heard from her again.

Quoting wowguildmomma:

We just moved to our new neighborhood a few months ago so as of yet I havn't really met anyone except the judgemental chick that pulled up and chewed me out for wearing my jeans with holes in the knees and a old shirt for mowing in claiming I was disgracing the neighborhood. 

EvilQueenMommy
by Member on Apr. 6, 2012 at 7:39 PM

yea, no druggies, criminals, abusive neighbors

EvilQueenMommy
by Member on Apr. 6, 2012 at 7:40 PM

My old neighbor used to knock on our door at 3am, trying to bum cigarettes. I don't even smoke.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Apr. 6, 2012 at 7:47 PM

I had a neighor or two like this over the years.  Make one wonder where they put their brain cells at? If they left them at home or something.  :)

Quoting EvilQueenMommy:

My old neighbor used to knock on our door at 3am, trying to bum cigarettes. I don't even smoke.

Jeremmy
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 8:16 PM

They havent really made a difference to us. We are close in proximity to our neighbors, but our neighborhood is mostly made up of older people who stay inside and are quiet. They wave when we walk by, but we dont have a personal relationship with them really. One couple next to us has their kids and grandkids visit a lot, and logan has played with their grandson once or twice, but he just turned 3 so hes not really an influence on logan. Neighbors shouldnt really be important, but I can see how a house can be ruined by horrible or loud neighbors...

wanderingwolf
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 8:32 PM

No.  We keep to ourselves and don't associate with our neighbors.  The village I plan on moving to in 1 year hopefully has 13 sex offenders, the town that is 8 miles from he village has 60 sex offenders (some rapists, child molesters, kidnappers, attempted rapists).  I would be doing background checks on all my neighbors before I let my kids play with them.  If the ladn I want is still available in a year then they'll have 18 acres of land to play on. This will continue when we have kids (we're TTC). They won't be allowed out of my sight. There are too many sick freaks around.   We are generally not trusting of people and the abuse/attempted sexual assualt I went through as a child... no way my daughters will be allowed to go over to some stranger's house without me getting to know the person first.

matt_sara_mom
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 9:35 PM

I miss the neighbors I had growing up, Mom never worried about us. The whole town watched us. I have yet to find somewhere like that where I would be comfortable letting my children out by themselvees. In the little town I am in there are several registered sex offenders now and that makes me nervous, there are 2 just on my block! I keep my blinds shut more often, and constantly worry. BUT I also have no intention on letting my kids go out by themselves anytime soon. I hope one day we find that community feeling where I feel my kids are safe, until then we won't spend much time with the neighbors.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)