Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How many of you count your days?

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 11:34 AM
  • 32 Replies
2 moms liked this

Although we live in Texas, and have no regulations, I still try to get 180 days of school done. One, because it is hard to break some of those public school habits and two, because having that goal seems to help me plan things out. Although we went to more of a year-round schedule, for the sake of trying to finish the curriculum, I still try to stay within the 180 day guidline.

So, I was wondering, how many of you try to get 180 days of school done each year?  Do you count days at all? Or do you just go until you finish the books and stuff?

by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 11:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Never counted.  I am sure we get at least 180 days but don't care one way or the other.  I have a list that each of my kids have to complete before I allowed/allow them to graduate.   They have all made it on time and a few have graduated 1 to 2 yrs early so we do fine. lol

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 5, 2012 at 11:49 AM

I don't really count days, honestly.

usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 5, 2012 at 11:53 AM

We have never counted days!

swim-mom72
by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 12:12 PM

So, if you do not count days, do you school year round? Do you just keep plugging away until they finish all the materials you had planned for that grade level?

Sorry to seem so dim whitted on this, LOL! Here I am in our 5th year and still worring over certain details. That's part of my problem, I am a worrier by nature.

Knightquester
by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 12:26 PM

I don't really count my days, but I do know when it's around my birthday in June then we can take a summer break so often when it gets close to my birthday I start making plans for camping and other trips to do through the summer.  We do some schooling through the summer it's always good to keep your brains fresh and whatever we do during the summer we tend to always be able to make it into some kind of learning experience.

As for finishing all their books and work, we do that always before the school year ends.  Each month I go by a schedule I created prior to the school year starting.

Moma3boyz
by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 12:49 PM
I count days but that is because of our regulations. I use homedutracker (think that is what its called) and it keeps track of them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Danielle163
by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 12:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I count days (regulation), but we don't have to do 180 days. If I think DD needs additional work in a certain area, we do more than we are suppose to. If not, we are done @ 148 days.

swim-mom72
by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 1:40 PM

OK, OK...soooo, maybe I can "let go" of the day counting thing. I am guessing, the majority of you do NOT count days. And for those who do because of regulations, you probably would not if given the choice?

Yeah, I need to lighten up : 0

lucsch
by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Yes, we count days. It is the ONLY requirement Indiana has, though no one asks to see our proof.

I use a 2-page per week planner. Along the top are the days of the week. As we do a day, I write the number of the day above that day's work. I also check off the subjects we complete.

oredeb
by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 5:51 PM
1 mom liked this

we have never counted days, i dont even know how many days we go, we just go till middle of may, then stop, doenst matter if we dont finish books theres always sept when we start up agaiin

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN