Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How to teach reading and spelling??

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 6:35 PM
  • 9 Replies

New to the HSing. (We are HSing for the remainder of the year and possibly for the next 2 years at least. My 6 y.o. DD who is in Kindergarten this year (she just turned 6 on the 31st) did really well in PS as far as learning how to read and write and my DH and I have continued with her flashcards and reading at home with those beginning readers or step 1 reading books you can find at the bookstores. My question is, so I can maybe help her learn her words MORE, is how do YOU teach your children their sight words and how to read? When I was in elementary school we use to write a few words at least 5 times each every day for a week until we were sure we knew it. Is that something you moms do? She gets the sounds a bit confused...like "c" and "k" or "i" and "y" so how can I help her with that?

Any suggestions or advice welcome, please!!

by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 6:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
edelweiss23
by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 6:37 PM

I used a great phonics book from Rod and Staff.  It has all the vowel sounds and games in it to make it a little more fun.  It wasn't expensive and really helped a lot!

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Apr. 5, 2012 at 7:45 PM
We use the program "all about spelling" and it is awesome at helping learn phonograms and such. It does a great job at distinguishing c from k and s, and when to use ck. I highly recommend it. We just finished level 1 and will be using level two next year.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 8:51 PM

is she beyond this?  http://www.starfall.com/

check this out http://www.succeedtoread.com/index.html

teaching sight words:

http://www.mrcpl.org/literacy/lessons/sight/index.html

ive used some of these  http://www.mrsperkins.com/

and practice practice practice!!!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 5, 2012 at 10:14 PM

We do a mix of phonics and sight words. When Cole got decent at sounding out words, I went to the library and picked out books, one level a head of where he is comfortable. Every day we read one with him doing the majority of the reading and me picking up the odd large word. It really helped him.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Apr. 6, 2012 at 12:57 AM
I don't believe in sight words and didn't use them with DD at all. We used phonics and lots and lots of reading. I started with BOB books and built up.

We also use All About Spelling and love it. I can praise it enough. I wish I had found it when we first started. We are almost through Book3.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
romacox
by Silver Member on Apr. 6, 2012 at 5:51 PM

My children are all grown, but I still tutor, give workshops at home school conventions, and give workshops to teachers at local colleges on how to teach children to read because my track record in  teaching children to read is unusually high. 

• Studies show children (especially young children) learn best by play and real life experiences ( Total Physical Response which uses body, brain and senses to teach.)
  •  I use and recommend Ring Around The Phonics (language arts curriculum/ game)

• This Article shows you how to teach spelling with the game  How It Works .  But I do not recommend teaching spelling until the child knows their phonic sounds,  and is reading well.  Too much too soon does more harm than good...it is like expecting the child to run before they can even walk.
kylismomma
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 7:54 PM

I was thinking about purchasing All About Spelling. How old was your DD when you started it? Also, have you heard anything about their All About Reading program? My daughter knows and can identify all of her letters, and can also identify her letter sounds. I am looking for the next step, but I know that spelling goes hand in hand with reading so I was thinking of trying them both. 

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

I don't believe in sight words and didn't use them with DD at all. We used phonics and lots and lots of reading. I started with BOB books and built up.

We also use All About Spelling and love it. I can praise it enough. I wish I had found it when we first started. We are almost through Book3.

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

kirbymom
by Sonja on Apr. 6, 2012 at 8:38 PM

I remember doing this too. I do this on occasion when someone is having a great difficulty in remembering how to spell or say the words.  We do phonics mostly but I have just recently realized that a few of my kids need to learn by whole words. And even then I will have them say the word several times to me or just out loud and I will also have them write the words in their appropriate sentences as well. This usually works for us. You'll will have to try several methods and see what works for you and your child. You just may find that you need to work more than one  method when teaching any subject or style.  :)  

Quoting lovinlife0607:

New to the HSing. (We are HSing for the remainder of the year and possibly for the next 2 years at least. My 6 y.o. DD who is in Kindergarten this year (she just turned 6 on the 31st) did really well in PS as far as learning how to read and write and my DH and I have continued with her flashcards and reading at home with those beginning readers or step 1 reading books you can find at the bookstores. My question is, so I can maybe help her learn her words MORE, is how do YOU teach your children their sight words and how to read? When I was in elementary school we use to write a few words at least 5 times each every day for a week until we were sure we knew it. Is that something you moms do? She gets the sounds a bit confused...like "c" and "k" or "i" and "y" so how can I help her with that?

Any suggestions or advice welcome, please!!

4quivers
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 10:36 PM

With DS 9, he understood phonics and we used Bob Books.  But for DS 8, phonics didn't mean (*&^*&^* ) to him.  Not to mention, I myself was a bit confused by all of the Rules that "don't" apply.  Poor kid.  To think of all the frustration we had.  Now we only teach by reading.  Start with simple books like Bob Books, Dr. Suess, etc.  After having you read them enough they will actually be memorizing the story.  This is a great confidence booster when you ask them to read it to you.  Because, they sorta can!!!!  Phonics will work for some children, whole words for others.  There may be another possibility as well!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN