Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I know I have been asking a lot of questions, but, I have another :). My son is in 6th grade and struggles horribly in math. I know I am new at this so maybe someone could give me some advice on ways to teach him. Ways to make him understand how he learns? The stuff he struggles with is elementary stuff like adding, multypling and so on. He uses his fingers for everything. It drives me insane and I do not want him to remember his school days as fighting, screaming and hollering. I want to understand how to teach him. Some advice from you Moms would be great! Thanks!!

by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 4:50 PM
Replies (11-15):
sandylynn1234
by on Apr. 8, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Thank you all GREAT advice!!

kokyuhomama
by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 10:31 AM

I've heard that this is a great program once you determine that it would be a good fit.  I'd check on eBay for used sets.  Everyone here has great suggestions, too!

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Teaching Textbooks is a computer based math. My DS who struggled really likes it.

We also highly recomment Math U See for the basics. Buying the manipulatives makes it a lil expensive to start but its not too expensive and you could get away with only the DVD and student book for the first few books and you may even be able to find it used.

LaurainMT
by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 8:52 PM
1 mom liked this

For multiplication tables, I purchased "Times Tales" (Google it, sorry, I don't know the web site.  My kids were about 8 when we got this program and they learned almost all of their single digit multiplication tables in ONE DAY.  They still remember at ages 11 and 12 because this program uses story lines to help the kids remember. they give a name to each number and tell a story about each encounter the numbers have.  It's not complicated, I just can't explain it very well!   I even loaned it out to friends whose kids were in public school and it helped them, too.  I was able to resell it on Ebay for about what I purchased it for.

Good luck!

Love,

Laura

oredeb
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 9:51 AM

excellent advise! this is what we do and did!

Quoting michiganmomof10:

I think the reason many people struggle with math is that they like your son never develop the ability to visualize in their head what  the numbers represent. My daughter was stuck at this stage and was relying on memorization but that doesn't allow a person to comprehend and will continue to struggle. What I did was start with actual objects having her feel them, then I would cover them up and have her feel them, moving them in subtraction or addition without looking at them. When she could do this proficiently then I had her go to the net step of having her draw pictures of the equations. Then close her eyes and picture what she had drawn. For most problems she can now visualize on her own, but if she is stuck I just tell her to draw it out. It people are natural it visualizing and others aren't. Just as some are natural readers and some aren't. She used to hate math because it was such a mystry to her, but now she loves it.

Bethsunshine
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Math U See is the best!! It uses a multi-sensory approach ( seeing, hearing, touching) and it has been an absolute lifesaver in our house!!

Join us in Christian Homeschoolers!!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/3200

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)