Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

may give up (vent)

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 1:35 AM
  • 24 Replies

I've been thinking about my health and homeschooling and I may have to stop homeschooling, move and send ds back to public school :-(  I dont want to because I hate the public school system and all they claim to be about but really arent. At the same time I spent the entire day thursday stuck in bed having to take 2 trips to the ER and my pain never going below a 7 plus at home pain meds, ontop of it i've got stomach biopsy in may and 2 weeks later I have to get a renal stint put in. I feel like me being sick all the time is taking away from his learning. He learns a lot about medicine and health but that isnt going to get him where he needs to be to succeed as an adult. On the days I do feel good he either is rebelling and doesnt want to do any work (including baking or digging for bugs), or he takes forever to get motivated to do it. I dont want to give up at homeschooling but at the same time,  how will he learn anything if my stupid body hates me and constantly keeps bringing up crap to hurt me. I just dont know what to do anymore, my head is spinning and I feel like total rear both physically, mentally, and emotionally. gah!

by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 1:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
victoriaherring
by Member on Apr. 7, 2012 at 1:39 AM
I'm so sorry. I have no advice, but I hope you get to feeling better soon!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Apr. 7, 2012 at 1:44 AM
1 mom liked this
((Pepsi)) Do you have anyone in the family tha can help school him? Take some of the load off you? If not, maybe look at how you homeschool. Does your state offer options like charter schools that may take some of the burden off of you while allowing you the majority of control.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
5BMom
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 1:47 AM
I am so sorry. I was very sick in late 2010, so I understand that part. Luckily, my kids were young when I was hospitalized for over 3 months and school was not a factor. It was the hardedst thing I ever went through. I am newer here, so you may said it, but may I ask what is wrong? And can I pray for you?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pepsi_lover_mom
by Member on Apr. 7, 2012 at 1:51 AM

No Jinx I dont, there is a woman who is going to teach him to garden and about plants and compost. I'm not sure if we have a charter school, I know there is a school called maize here that is through ks and they provide the calvert curriculum and online teachers and stuff but they dont let out a plan and you do it on your just like homeschooling. I dont want to give up on him Jinx, I know I can do so much better than the ps can but I just dont know that its the right decision for me to continue homeschooling knowing that my health is being stupid.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

((Pepsi)) Do you have anyone in the family tha can help school him? Take some of the load off you? If not, maybe look at how you homeschool. Does your state offer options like charter schools that may take some of the burden off of you while allowing you the majority of control.

pepsi_lover_mom
by Member on Apr. 7, 2012 at 1:55 AM

My body just is going insane, we thought initially it was the fibromyalgia but now the doctors just say my body is attacking itself and we do not know why. I'm supposed to call my PCP on monday and get in with a doctor to have my central nervous system checked out.

Yes ma'am you may.

Quoting 5BMom:

I am so sorry. I was very sick in late 2010, so I understand that part. Luckily, my kids were young when I was hospitalized for over 3 months and school was not a factor. It was the hardedst thing I ever went through. I am newer here, so you may said it, but may I ask what is wrong? And can I pray for you?

usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 7, 2012 at 9:42 AM
1 mom liked this

You know it is so close to the end of the year why don't you start summer early & let him deschool during it? It sounds to me like he needs to regain his love of learning, let him deschool & decompress & see if in a few weeks of doing nothing structured he doesn't start begging you for things to do to help him be stimulated!

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2012 at 10:04 AM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't send my child back to school. That will just present more problems. I don't know how old your child is but I promise that they can easily catch up.  We took off a whole yr when my late husband was ill and after he passed.  We took care of him as a family.  My present husband's late wife was ill with cancer for several yrs. They didn't get a lot done during that time either. But all of our children have either graduated on time and some early.  Being at home with family and protected from what they would be exposed to in public schools is far more important that school at this time.

swim-mom72
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 10:49 AM
1 mom liked this

First of all, my heart goes out to you. How difficult this must be on you is beyond my understanding. Secondly, all the worrying you are doing over "not doing this right" and "not being good enough" cannot be good for your health. Let that extra stress GO. He is so young, and seems so smart, you are not going to mess him up. Here are some thoughts. Write out a plan for the next, say, 6 months. And then reevalute at the end of the 6 months to see if things have improved.

What I would do is start something like Time 4 Learning, mixed with lots of great literature and notebooking every day. You can have notebooks for all subjects or just a couple. He can draw in them, write a couple of sentences, print and paste images from the computer, or just narrate to you about what he has read and you write it for him. And then add in some Netflix or history channel videos or some books on tape. He will thrive like this I believe. It is structured, but still a very gentle approach.

So, do not let panic set in and make a decision you may regret later. Map out a plan of action and stick to it until the time you decide. Then, if he still seems to be struggling, consider other options. Also, come in here often : ) We are here for you!

romacox
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2012 at 11:05 AM

My hart aches for you and your son.  My Niece has a condition that sounds like what you describe: ."my body is attacking itself".  It has been a long battle for her, but over the years she finally found some answers, and is considerably better now . . If you email me, I will try to put you in touch with her.  She should be able to help.

For your Son, I looked up this site...never used it, but it might help:

National Charter School Registry

pepsi_lover_mom
by Member on Apr. 7, 2012 at 1:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you for the support and advice ladies. You dont know how much it means to me. I will deffinetly try my best to stop worrying about it. I think for now, atleast until i can get out of bed again, I'm going to just keep let ds doing what hes been doing which is watching pbs sprout, national geo, and military channel while I rest. When I get back on my feet again (which I hope is really soon because I cant take much more of this pain) then we'll slowly get back into school with the things ya'll suggested like notebooking and the hands on things we've been doing like digging for bugs and planting a garden. I really just hope I can keep my word on this without feeling like I'm letting everyone down.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)