Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

New to Cafe Mom...New to Homeschooling

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 8:25 AM
  • 12 Replies

Hello home-schooling Moms. My name is Mary. I have a 4 year old, turning 5 in May. A 2 year old, and a new baby boy due in two weeks. I have never home-schooled. I was hoping to get some advice on where to look online to pick a school for my little girl. I recently moved to North Carolina, and I am not sure if home-schooling varies from state to state. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Look forward to chatting with all of you home-school prosbig smile mini

by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 8:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 7, 2012 at 8:48 AM
Welcome Mary! I am Shannon and i have been HS'ing for almost a decade. Firat, there are no states that start educational laws before compulsory age - usually between 5-7. Google Home Education Laws in North Carolina, and you will find if there is anything you need to do when your kids get older.

When my kids were tours ages we loved the following websites:

Www.letteroftheweek.com
Www.time4learning.com
Www.starfall.com
Www.pbskids.org
prosperity3
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Oh, I like letter of the week website. Sounds like you are an old pro at home-school. Thanks for the input.

usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 7, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Hi Mary! Welcome to the group! There are so many free sites out there that they can be over whelming so if you find one & don't like it or only like one section of it search again & find a different one to try. Theheadoftheclass is a good one that you can start with.

swim-mom72
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 9:48 AM

WELCOME!

My name is Crystal and we are 3 weeks away from finishing up our 5 year. My guys are 14 and 11.

This is a great group of ladies and I am sure you will find lots of help in here. Shannon posted some great links for you to check out. Time 4 Learning was going to be my suggestion. And my guys loved the PBS site when they were younger.

HSLDA is full of info on state regulations and websites in your state that you may find usefull.

If you are looking more into a boxed curriculum, then you could look at timberdoodle.com, Sonlight, Abeka, Oak Meadow, or Queens homeschooling. And this is just a very, very small list of possibilities. There are tons of things our there for homeschoolers. Many families, even some on here, create theri own materials. So, it all boils down to your comfort level and how you see your kids learning the best.

5BMom
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 10:11 AM
Hi! My name is Stefanie. I have two kids, almost 4 and almost 5. We will wrap up our first year in June.

First, know your States Laws. You can find them at www.hslda.com.

Second, figure out you homeschooling style. Charlotte Mason, Waldorf, Classical, Traditionsal Christian, Literature Based Ecclectic, etc.... we are an electic mix of Charlotte Mason and Waldorf, with Traditional thrown in, lol.

Sime sites/programs I reccomend are:

www.oakmeadow.com (kinda waldorf-ish)
www.sonlight.com (literature bases)
www.heartofdakota.com (close to charlotte mason)
www.queenhomeschool.com (charlotte mason)
www.memoriapress.com (classical)
www.rainbowresource.com (everything!!!)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
romacox
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Welcome prosperity3.  Yes, the laws in each state are different.   I am a home school workshop leader, and am often asked questions.  So I put together an article with answers to the the most common question:

How To Home School  this article provides you the following information"

• Links to find out about your state laws, and how to find your State Home School Association
  • understanding your children's learning style (helps you pick the right curriculum for your child)
  • Grade level expectations
  • testing resources (some states require this)
  • different methods used by home educators (home school is not the class room) (resource links included.)
  •  How to create your own lesson plans
  • and more

For inspiration:

PamelaStanbery
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Here is a website I found yesterday it's for grades K-12th and it's FREE. All they do is pick a book from the list and read it. Once they finish the book they get back on the website to take a quiz on the book.

This website has Reading suggestions, quizzes, points, and reward systems.

www.bookadventure.com

wanderingwolf
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 4:32 PM

If you're looking into online public school:

K-12

Connections Academy

Calvert Academy

Know your state laws.  Go to the HLSDA website to check your state laws on homeshcooling.  Homeschooling varies by state so you should be able to get what you need from there.

Some people use Time 4 Learning.

If you want curriculum already made:

Oak Meadow (can do online or in print)-it's secular

Abeka, Life Pac, Sonlight (these are Christian based programs)

Saxon Math for mathematics (what I plan on using)

There's Elemental Science (for K4 and K5 to 12th grade) and there is also Adventures in America (for kindergarten or early elementary-Elemental History (I'll be using these for Science and just bought Adventures in America yesterday. 

http://www.elementalscience.com/

http://www.elementalscience.com/

Some people use worksheets (Lesson pathways is good I hear), there's also TSL Books.   Math U See-some people use this for math.

awilliams77
by on Apr. 8, 2012 at 4:43 AM
NC used to require attendance records of 180 days, shot records, and yearly testing for ages 7-16 when I lived there 8 yrs ago. Pretty simple to fulfil the law and homeschool however you'd like. The hslda site will have a current list of state requirements.
prosperity3
by on Apr. 8, 2012 at 8:20 AM

Wow..I am so glad I joined this forum. I thank everyone for all the wonderful websites, input, and suggestions. I am certain I will have more questions for all of you moms. Again...Thank you so much everyone!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)