Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How do you homeschool?

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 11:36 AM
  • 21 Replies
1 mom liked this

I've never homeschooled. I'm a product of the PS system and state college. I'm planning on using a classical method of education. But in my mind I feel like I'm going to b playing the role of PS teacher with my daughter and I don't know any other way of doing it. I've heard of people DEschooling. But really can't wrap my head around that concept and why do it if I don't know any other way to teach other than like that of a school teacher.

by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 11:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Danielle163
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 12:09 PM

"Deschooling" is when you remove your children from public school (and begin to homeschool).  It lets them relax for a little while, just taking it easy. Doing educational stuff, but in a fun way, field trips, educational games on the computer, reading good/fun books, etc.  Deschooling is especially beneficial for kids that have been bullied or had any other problems in ps.

We more or less do "school at home"......but in a very relaxed way.  My DD needs structure or she would try to get out of doing anything/everything-LOL. Plus, the longer you homeschool, the more that you will know what works for your children's personality/personal likes/dislikes. That is one of the reasons that homeschooling works so well........the children get one-on-one educational attention that can be tailored to fit their (personal) needs. You will do GREAT, so just take a breath, relax, and enjoy being with your kids.

usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 7, 2012 at 1:32 PM
2 moms liked this
Deschooling is not just the child recovering from school damage. It's also the parents exploring their own school and childhood damage and proactively changing their thinking until the paradigm shift happens.—Robyn Coburn

http://sandradodd.com/deschooling
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PamelaStanbery
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 3:19 PM

I'm going though this same thing. I'm homeschooling my 2 kids as of a week ago after taking them out of PS. All I'm doing is trying to find what will work for my kids as well as myself. Search the internet it has alot of helpful websites that are free and you can used them to homeschool. Start with what your state requiers for homeschoolers. Search those subjects 1st then you can add others when your ready to.

http://www.hslda.org/laws  (here you can find your state laws for homeschooling)

www.bookadventure.com (this is a FREE website for K-12 they read a book then do an online quiz)

wanderingwolf
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 4:19 PM

I'm getting a classroom built into my home on the 1st floor. I plan on using unit studies, weekly themes for perschool-kindergarten, maybe using what the kids want to learn about, hands on science stuff, gym at the YMCA.  Mainly textbooks though mixed with unit studies, weekly themes, hands on science stuff.

4quivers
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 4:44 PM

I know what you are feeling.  When I pulled DS 9 out of PK, all I knew was how the public school did things.  Now, after 4 yrs, I've fine tuned it to suit our family. 

Spelling is from an old Kansas Spelling book fromt the 20's.  It follows the same concept as Sequential Spelling but has all years in one book.  Cost about a penny from library book sale, but is highly advanced with some seldom used words as an added bonus.   We also use Math Workbooks but will begin Saxon Math in 4th Grade.  So these are well done as a PS does.

Copywork, penpals instead of writing class.  Dictation and narration instead of English grammar books. All just a few times a week.  Grades 2nd and 3rd.  Then fun for all the rest of the day.  History readings as they come on the yearly timeline, and science whenever it jumps out at me, as it often does with 4 boys!!  It's sooo easy, sometimes I think we get too worried that we aren't doing enough.  But really, they're kids, learning is going to happen anyway!  Just be ready to give them what they need to explore it deeper!

5BMom
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 4:51 PM
We are all different. I could never school at home....or even have a classroom at home. I in no way want to replicate a school.

We do do lessons at the kitchen table, on the floor, read stories on the cough, using a portable easel, at the picnic table on the creek, at the library, etc... I have a central area for curriculum and the night before pull that days work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
romacox
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2012 at 6:43 PM

You are correct: home school is not the classroom.  Home schooled children outperform the public schooled children.  We do not have to repeat the mistakes made there.

The Classical Education

This method mirrors the ancients approach to education, and taught such famous people as Archimedes, St. Paul, Isaac Newton, Thomas Jefferson and John Adams.

The goal of most Classical homeschool families is to engage the child's learning into important things like God, life and its purpose. It is also based on the Trivium, which says the child will have three basic developmental stages. During the grade school ages, the curriculum stresses concrete thinking and memorization of facts.

During the middle years, abstract thinking develops. So, at this time, education involving analytical thinking is introduced.

In the high school years, students are taught abstract thinking, and articulation of their subjects.

The Well-Trained Mind: A Guide to Classical Education at Home (Third Edition)Distance Learning Education Books)

Unschooling

Unschooling focuses on the individual child's self initiative, needs and interests for education. Many think this method has no discipline or direction because the full fledged unschoolers often have no set bedtimes, no set lessons, and no set food rules. But the hard core unschooling parent points out they do make rules on the important things like safety.

They also say there is no such thing as a partial use of unschooling. Either you trust the child's natural tendency to learn or you don't. However others disagree, and I caution the reader not to be too quick to reject this method. It, in my opinion, can be incorporated in ones homeschool schedule, and be very beneficial to you and your child.

Unschooling (or at least a form of it) is particularly attractive to the NT parent, and beneficial to the Nt Child (ratrional personality). My little brother is what is referred to as the NT or "Rational Personality". He often ditched his elementary school classes. So one day the school principle followed him only to discover Billy was going to the local library to study subjects that interested him. You see the NT personality has an insensible appetite to learn, but is totally bored reviewing subjects that he has already grasped, or proving to others he has learned something he has already mastered. He considers it a total waste of time...one can be learning instead of wasting time in this manner. Note: Einstein was an NT. Allowing these children to direct their own learning (at least to some extent) helps to develop their unique gifts.

In this style of homeschooling, it is important to understand the child in depth, and to provide a variety of activities, and learning tools that interests him or her. Lagos or Barbie dolls can become learning tools. Just as my little brother chose his preferred method and subjects to learn, so does the unschooled child.

My Father was also an NT personality, and I learned more for him about analytical thinking than I did in any class room. So nurture the rational child, and allow him to contribute his unique gifts to your family.

The Unschooling Handbook : How to Use the Whole World As Your Child's ClassroomSchool-Age Children Books)

The Learning Lifestyle Method (Eclectic): My favorite

In this method educators are free to choose from a variety of the methods. It allows one the flexibility to adjust and change approaches as family and individual needs change.

Life itself can even become a learning tool so the curriculum needed is minimal. One chooses curriculum based on the educators abilities and, and the child's learning style. This is my preferred method. and When I do use curriculum, I much prefer ones that are created by home school families because homeschool is not the classroom.

1. How to Create Your Own Lesson Plans (template and resources included)

2. For language arts (K through 6) I prefer Ring Around The Phonics.,

3. For math I use Math-You-See (Math-U-See Alpha DVD and Teacher's book),

4. For American History and the Constitution I creat my own lessons using A Familiar Exposition of the Constitution of the United States: Containing a Brief Commentary on Every Clause, Explaining the True Nature, Reasons, and ... Designed for the Use of School Libraries and

I know a teacher who moved to a wilderness area. Due to her location it became necessary to home school her large family. Until the children reached the age of seven she taught them the basics (reading writing and arithmetic). After that it all became based on life experiences.

For example: The family needed a home, so she took them to the library where they began researching. They helped design the family home, do the blue prints, and build it from the ground up. In the process they expanded their ability to read, do geometry, drafting, art work, measuring, and many other lessons. But they were thinking about accomplishing a goal rather than just learning for the sake of learning.

It is interesting to note that all of her kids received scholarships to Yale University. She did something right.

Eclectic is the method I use, so you will find my sites full of this approach, many of them free.

More information here: How To Home School

JeniNicole83
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 7:27 PM

I have tried a few different things since starting homeschooling my 8 year old back in September. First I started out like doing regular school. I had daily homework assignments he had to complete. At the time I was only working 1 job and it was just 10 hours a week. Now I have 2 jobs and work about 50-56 hours a week. Then we did a lot of our learning through reading with little written assignments. Now I don't assign work like I use to. I am using lessonpathways.com for ideas, but we mostly do hands-on activities. I assign one book a month of my choice for reading (books that I really enjoyed from elementary school), rest is what he decides to read. We use the internet and tv a lot for history videos. Neither one of us likes written work. We do lots of field trips. Next weekend our town will have a Heritage Festival and our local history museum will be free. We will check that out. The next day we will check out the International Festival at our local university. It's all free. We also have a nature center that is free. For a pe-type activity my son is in soccer. Basically the subjects we do are science, history, and reading. We do math with ipad/ipod programs, grocery shopping, cooking.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 7, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Welcome to our group!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 7, 2012 at 11:19 PM

I was the same way when I pulled my daughter from school. Four years later, I'm much more relaxed. Take your time, remember that even school at home only takes a few hours a day and keep your thoughts on the fact that you are homeschooling to help your child. 8)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)