Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Just For Fun: 20 Signs Childhood As We Knew It Is Gone For Good

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 1:16 PM
  • 5 Replies

20 Signs Childhood As We Knew It Is Gone For Good

Posted by Jeanne Sager

boy and girlThe older my kid gets, the more I realize her childhood will never be like mine. It doesn't matter that I'm raising her a mere 16 miles from my childhood home. It doesn't matter that I have pretty much the same values as my parents before me. There are some things that are just never coming back

And when it comes to the mullet, that's a good thing (seriously, Mom, that third grade picture ... really?). But it's no wonder parents today are neurotic .. life is so different. Just take a look:

Childhood Then: Mom taught you to avoid that empty house down the street.

Childhood Now: We teach them to avoid high fructose corn syrup.

Then: When you complained about your food, your mom told you about the starving kids in Ethiopia.

Now: If they really think they have it rough, they could try living under Joseph Kony. 

Then: Ernie & Bert were our favorite babysitters.

Now: The only babysitter we trust speaks three languages and has a PhD in child development.

Then: Mom worried we'd get in trouble for trading Garbage Pail Kids cards on the playground.

Now: Our kids would get suspended if they brought a peanut butter sandwich into the cafeteria.

Then: You couldn't wait until your pictures came back from the developer and Mom picked them up.

Now: They wish we'd stop sharing every single thing they do on Facebook.

Then: We came back inside from playing when the street lights came on.

Now: What do you mean "go outside?"

Then: The lucky kids got Wonder Bread with Goober.

Now: The lucky kids don't have to eat kale chips.

Then: Casey Kasem provided the soundtrack for the lives of everyone in the family. 

Now: Radio? We only let them listen to Kidz Bop.

Then: Mom magically paid for toys by writing out a check at the department store.

Now: BPA-free, wooden toys magically appear on the front porch after we order them online.

Then: Movies were a Saturday afternoon day out at the theater, paired with popcorn that was absolutely soaking in butter.

Now: Movies are popped in the DVD player, Pirates Booty is poured into a bowl and plopped in front of them, and we vamoose out of the room as fast as we can.

Then: Itchy bug bites were coated in Calamine lotion, and we were sent back out the door.

Now: We take their clothes off and send them straight into an organic oatmeal bath.

Then: Friday meant family game night with pizza.

Now: Friday means dad's on the Xbox, mom's on Facebook, and the kids are playing Angry Birds on their iPads.

Then: You fought with your brother over who had shotgun.

Now: They won't be riding in the front seat until they're in college!

Then: You had to wait until Mom had time to take you to the library to do research for your school project.

Now: They can look up whatever thy need on their laptops.

Then: Visiting with Grandma and Grandpa meant making cookies and staying up late for snuggles on the couch.

Now: We set them up on Skype so they can talk to our parents.

Then: Three words: raw cookie dough.

Now: You just found a recipe on Pinterest for carob brownies made with free-range eggs and zucchini hidden inside that looks fabulous.

Then: Kool-Aid stained our teeth.

Now: Organic Honest Tea is a rare treat. Otherwise it's a stainless steel bottle full of water.

Then: You brown-bagged your lunch to school. 

Now: They have a monogrammed, insulated bag made from sustainable fabrics.

Then: You had to sell candy door-to-door for the PTA.

Now: You take an order form to work because the school has forbidden the kids from actually selling to a real, live person in case they're pedophiles.

Then: There wasn't enough room in the car for all your friends, but the squished in anyway.

Now: Your only child can move their booster seat to any of a variety of seats in the minivan.

What is the biggest difference between the childhood your kid is having and yours?

by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 1:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
norahsmommy
by Member on Apr. 7, 2012 at 1:26 PM
Not much. Our kids are having a similar experience we are, except the car seat thing. No laying on the floor of the car durring a long trip, or sitting up front with the shoulder belt behind their back and the mom arm swinging over to keep them from flying forward at sudden stops. They play outside lots and play video games rarely.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wanderingwolf
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Well for us it will the huge number of sex offenders I found in the town that we'll be shopping from and attending the YMCA at for our sons soccer and their gym classes/my Chinese meditation class I plan on doing once my land is bought and house is built, plus all the junkies and gangs that have now swamped Lancaster, OH compared to when I lived there as a kid.  

That kids can't play outside to all hours of the night because the media has made kidnappings more 'real' now so parents are paranoid and don't let their kids out of their sight.

I think the sadness that girls are dressing more slutty then they were when I was a kid (I'm a 90s kid) and know more about sex in 2nd grade then I learned about in my years of sex education.

The sorry excuse that girls think peanut butter is a form of BC (read that somewhere).

The fact that kids no longer play OUTSIDE because they don't want to get 'wet' in the rain (rain isn't going to kill you people) and don't want to be separated from all their technology toys (IPAD, IPOD, XBOX, WII, XBOX 360, PS3, COMPUTER, CELL PHONES) so they get obese.

Nobody seems to cook home cooked meals anymore and actually have dinner AS A FAMILY because everyone is so interested in playing with the technological toys and are too 'busy' to sit down together and share stuff about their day/cook together.

All the utter disrespect kids have for authority, their elders and parents with all their cursing and throwing little hissy fits if they don't get their way.

JeniNicole83
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 7:35 PM

More electronics is the only thing I can think of. We just moved into the neighborhood I grew up in. He can stay out until it starts to get dark and then has to come in either my house or my grandma's (she's 6 houses down). The only thing with that is we found out a sex offender moved into the road behind us or behind that one. So no walking around there by hisself. He can ride his bike around the block though. There's no more riding in the back of a pickup. I remember my grandpa putting us grandkids in the bed of the truck and taking us to the local pool about a mile away.

EvilQueenMommy
by on Apr. 8, 2012 at 7:31 PM

They didn't sell stripper poles for kids when I was a kid.

Moma3boyz
by on Apr. 8, 2012 at 8:01 PM
If I was bad I got a spanking. Most kids I know today have never had one. Ever.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)