Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

So...anyone NOT conducting the regular home school routine, or will you be business as usual Easter Monday?  I am thinking of movies about the Ressurrection to sum up the week (since hubby took over the computer AND tv for baseball right after Sunday Services at church)...and the movie "HOP".

by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 5:33 AM
Replies (11-18):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Apr. 9, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Wow! That is what we studied too!   Great minds think alike.  :)

Quoting mem82:

We are studying the art of clean up. LOL

wanderingwolf
by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 11:58 PM

How old are your kids? Why not have them watch the three Left Behind Movies? I liked that series (didn't get to read it all but I had some of the books and enjoyed it). Watched the first Left Behind movie in school.  Granted that is not about easter... it's more about the rise of the anti-christ and armageddon but.... I found it entertaining.   I don't celebrate Easter but I'm trying to be of help here for you (since I figure most who celebrate Easter are Christians).  Ummmm..... what about some children's bible stories on DVD?   Maybe see if your church is doing anything special?   Since bunnies are a part of Easter now.... you could talk about the 'life cycle of bunnies' (I know it has nothing to really do with the religious part) but it ties in for tradition.  Maybe read the book "Peter Cottontail"-I always liked that book. 

littleacorn
by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 12:01 AM
Just another day around here! The ps are back in season after spring break and ds had his first practice of the spring soccer season this evening.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AntroNet
by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Oh, thank you but we had a great celebration of Resurrection Week already.  Usually people either use the Monday as either a rest day or a regular school day since ps is out.  I was just wondering.  Today we spent most the time outside with cousins and neighbors on a picnic blanket with the blocks.  I used this time specifically for my little ones and rest for myself.  The oldest two rode bikes and was on the playground.  Thanx anyway!

Quoting wanderingwolf:

How old are your kids? Why not have them watch the three Left Behind Movies? I liked that series (didn't get to read it all but I had some of the books and enjoyed it). Watched the first Left Behind movie in school.  Granted that is not about easter... it's more about the rise of the anti-christ and armageddon but.... I found it entertaining.   I don't celebrate Easter but I'm trying to be of help here for you (since I figure most who celebrate Easter are Christians).  Ummmm..... what about some children's bible stories on DVD?   Maybe see if your church is doing anything special?   Since bunnies are a part of Easter now.... you could talk about the 'life cycle of bunnies' (I know it has nothing to really do with the religious part) but it ties in for tradition.  Maybe read the book "Peter Cottontail"-I always liked that book. 

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Apr. 10, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Really?? It had nothing to do with one being white or one being hispanic @@ Too many people are reading way too much into movies. Both E.B.  and the "white guy" had a dream - to me somthing DIFFERENT than what was expected and their parents had different expectations. The Chicken wanted to takeover the Easter plant and while I could see some similarities, I don't think it's out there to send any messages to the kids about racism. Anyone can turn almost anything into a racist message nowdays.

On another note, it was a really stupid, but cute movie. The kids and I enjoyed it but 'm S GLAD I didn't buy it!

Quoting borgen0128:

The character who is hispanic, who works his whole life in the factory, is laughed at when he wants to be the Easter bunny, but when the white guy comes along and wants to be the Easter bunny, he is given the job. They never really explain why Carlos can't be the Easter bunny. It may seem far fetched, but I think the message is clear. I hope my humble opinion helps. :)

Quoting usmom3:

What happens in it that makes you say that? We haven't seen it yet but my 6 & 8 year old want to see it!

Quoting borgen0128:

Please don't let your kids watch "HOP". It is a very racist movie, unfortunately.

Jinx - Homeschooling Scout & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Brownie Heidi 4/03. Police wife to Joe and Alpha to my fur baby German Shepherd Spazz.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Apr. 10, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Today was a regular day. Mondays went from my quietest day, to my craziest day! LOL

The kids and I have school and then I have two other Scouts come over for a US History/Citizenship in the Nation study session and sometime before or after that I tutor my nephew in math and Lang. Arts. THEN DS1 has karate and I usually play cribbage.

AntroNet
by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Now THIS is a BUSY day!  HOw old are your kids?  Sometimes, I don't think I do enough with my kids, but they are still in the play mind of frame...so I sneak in learning from there.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Today was a regular day. Mondays went from my quietest day, to my craziest day! LOL

The kids and I have school and then I have two other Scouts come over for a US History/Citizenship in the Nation study session and sometime before or after that I tutor my nephew in math and Lang. Arts. THEN DS1 has karate and I usually play cribbage.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Apr. 10, 2012 at 1:41 AM

HAHA!  My kids are older... Ds1 is 14, DS2 is 11 yo (they are both Boy Scouts) and DD is 9 at the end of this month.

How much you do really depends on your family. I don'tconsider it "busy" if I don't hae to leave the house. LOL This defintiely is NOT our busiest day of the week.

Of the kids that are here on Monday, my three, my two nephews, and one of my scouts and hiss sister... three of the boys have learnind disabilities. That's why they come here for extra help. The Citizenship in the Nation Merit badge, for example is pretty difficult and NONE of the three with the LDs would be able to just read the merit badge book and give the answers. We need to go over it bit by bit and do it several different ways for it to stick enough for them to pass the badge.

Quoting AntroNet:

Now THIS is a BUSY day!  HOw old are your kids?  Sometimes, I don't think I do enough with my kids, but they are still in the play mind of frame...so I sneak in learning from there.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Jinx - Homeschooling Scout & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Brownie Heidi 4/03. Police wife to Joe and Alpha to my fur baby German Shepherd Spazz.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)