Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is the biggest difference between the childhood your kid is having and yours?

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 10:06 AM
  • 6 Replies

20 Signs Childhood As We Knew It Is Gone For Good

Posted by Jeanne Sager on April 7, 2012 

boy and girlThe older my kid gets, the more I realize her childhood will never be like mine. It doesn't matter that I'm raising her a mere 16 miles from my childhood home. It doesn't matter that I have pretty much the same values as my parents before me. There are some things that are just never coming back

And when it comes to the mullet, that's a good thing (seriously, Mom, that third grade picture ... really?). But it's no wonder parents today are neurotic .. life is so different. Just take a look:

Childhood Then: Mom taught you to avoid that empty house down the street.

Childhood Now: We teach them to avoid high fructose corn syrup.

Then: When you complained about your food, your mom told you about the starving kids in Ethiopia.

Now: If they really think they have it rough, they could try living under Joseph Kony. 

Then: Ernie & Bert were our favorite babysitters.

Now: The only babysitter we trust speaks three languages and has a PhD in child development.

More from The Stir: 8 Childhood Horrors Our Kids Don't Have to Face

Then: Mom worried we'd get in trouble for trading Garbage Pail Kids cards on the playground.

Now: Our kids would get suspended if they brought a peanut butter sandwich into the cafeteria.

Then: You couldn't wait until your pictures came back from the developer and Mom picked them up.

Now: They wish we'd stop sharing every single thing they do on Facebook.

Then: We came back inside from playing when the street lights came on.

Now: What do you mean "go outside?"

Then: The lucky kids got Wonder Bread with Goober.

Now: The lucky kids don't have to eat kale chips.

Then: Casey Kasem provided the soundtrack for the lives of everyone in the family. 

Now: Radio? We only let them listen to Kidz Bop.

Then: Mom magically paid for toys by writing out a check at the department store.

Now: BPA-free, wooden toys magically appear on the front porch after we order them online.

Then: Movies were a Saturday afternoon day out at the theater, paired with popcorn that was absolutely soaking in butter.

Now: Movies are popped in the DVD player, Pirates Booty is poured into a bowl and plopped in front of them, and we vamoose out of the room as fast as we can.

Then: Itchy bug bites were coated in Calamine lotion, and we were sent back out the door.

Now: We take their clothes off and send them straight into an organic oatmeal bath.

More from The Stir: 10 Childhood Joys, Rediscovered

Then: Friday meant family game night with pizza.

Now: Friday means dad's on the Xbox, mom's on Facebook, and the kids are playing Angry Birds on their iPads.

Then: You fought with your brother over who had shotgun.

Now: They won't be riding in the front seat until they're in college!

Then: You had to wait until Mom had time to take you to the library to do research for your school project.

Now: They can look up whatever thy need on their laptops.

Then: Visiting with Grandma and Grandpa meant making cookies and staying up late for snuggles on the couch.

Now: We set them up on Skype so they can talk to our parents.

Then: Three words: raw cookie dough.

Now: You just found a recipe on Pinterest for carob brownies made with free-range eggs and zucchini hidden inside that looks fabulous.

Then: Kool-Aid stained our teeth.

Now: Organic Honest Tea is a rare treat. Otherwise it's a stainless steel bottle full of water.

Then: You brown-bagged your lunch to school. 

Now: They have a monogrammed, insulated bag made from sustainable fabrics.

Then: You had to sell candy door-to-door for the PTA.

Now: You take an order form to work because the school has forbidden the kids from actually selling to a real, live person in case they're pedophiles.

Then: There wasn't enough room in the car for all your friends, but the squished in anyway.

Now: Your only child can move their booster seat to any of a variety of seats in the minivan.

What is the biggest difference between the childhood your kid is having and yours?

by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 10:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2012 at 10:59 AM

I think a lot of that list's 'now' stuff was pretty lame. 8) I do miss the idea of using a library for research. Also, my parents had one of those old station wagons with the flip up seats in the rear. The whole boy scout troop used to climb in and sit on top of one another. LOL

MommaTasha1003
by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Upside:

• My kids are growing up around more family... When I was growing up our vacation time was the only time I seen family since my parents/my uncle moved to tx & everyone else lived in Indiana/ Kentucky.
  • My kids will attend church more often with their parents.. I've never been in a church with my parents, except when I got married.. I only went to church on a rare occasion with friends growing up.
  • My kids see/do a lot more than I did growing up, we keep zoo memberships & go to the museums often.

Downside:

• I dont think Ill ever let my elementary kids walk as far as my parents let me walk alone/with friends! Or have the general freedom I had - At 9/10yo I was allowed to ride my 4wheeler on backstreets with no one around.
  • I dont think my child will EVER ride in the back of a truck (until their teen years when mom isnt around, lol)
  • My kids will never ride to the dr. with their head in my lap so I can comfort them while driving.

Thats all I can think of at the moment. But Im sure there are PLENTY more!

usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 9, 2012 at 11:55 AM

The biggest difference is that we don't use the public school system & my kids have a voice in our house!

oredeb
by debbie on Apr. 9, 2012 at 12:03 PM

biggest difference would be they got to homeschool and i went to a public school!

my kids got to do all thoses 'thens'!!!

lucsch
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Homeschooling was unheard of when I was a kid.

As far as homelife, I grew up in the country, where the chores never ended. My kids grew/are growing up in town, where they had a much more interaction with friends and fewer chores, for sure!

On the down side, they don't get all the fresh foods I had to eat. They do get a wider variety, though.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Apr. 9, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Then...I went to public school, was also private schooled, quit school for awhile because there weren't any teachers capable of helping me get past some barriers that prevented me from learning what was being taught.

Now...My kids are home schooled and have been educated to within an inch of their life!  lol  

The difference between the two.... I was less educated than my kids are today.   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)